I actually liked a LOT of what I saw Saturday

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
1. The team played with a lot of emotion and intensity (missing earlier in the year)

2. The D really stepped up and played well. Much more aggressive (how long since we've seen aggressive defense at Tech?

3. The offensive scheme looked good to me. I thought it was a good idea to open up with long passes, which later, turned out to open up the ground game...Good move IMO

4. For the first time in 10 years (including 1992) I really felt that we had a superior team vs FSU - we clearly played better and should have won.....

5. Our OL is VERY banged up, against the best DL we'll play and they STILL did a good job. Hats off to the OL

6. I am now finally seeing overall improvement week to week.

---> ALL of the above represents a turnaround to the complaints I had earlier in the year...

However, as I see it, we still need some work on:

1. Redzone offense too conservative -
2. QB position is hurting us, there is no way to overlook this....I'll refrain from getting into the Bilbo/Suggs thing as there is little to add...Its resulted in 2 maybe 3 losses IMO.
3. We need a legitimate QB coach, obviously.

Overall - one key play (making one or stopping one) and we're all happy...FSU was VERY VERY LUCKY to win that game, a game in which they were dominated.....

I'm MUCH happier about our FB situation than I was after the UMD loss, even after this loss...but still concerned about the QB situation and why this cannot seem to be resolved in some way...

Excellent points however, I don't feel FSU was lucky. They made big plays when they had to and we did not. They have big play makers at key positions who stepped up. Good teams make their own "luck".

SpellingBee
I completely agree - I want to beat them at their best and their worse....But its been a while since I thought we really had the better team like on Saturday.

Wrecked - Agree with that as well, but they DID have some luck as well to win that game

Gold Rush, good assessment!

rush,
you make some good points. I agree totally on points 1,2,5,6.

Point three--"The offensive scheme looked good to me. I thought it was a good idea to open up with long passes, which later, turned out to open up the ground game...Good move IMO"--
**The long passes may have helped in opening up the running game, but if there is a good chance those will be incompletes, then they are wasted downs and the opponent does not have to respect it as much.

Point four--"For the first time in 10 years (including 1992) I really felt that we had a superior team vs FSU - we clearly played better and should have won....."--
**I don't disagree, but I have to insert my year long beef here: I would like to be better than fsu when fsu is having a great year, not a down year. I want to play up to the best, not wait for the best to fall to our level. But for now, for this season and where we are, I agree with that assessment.

As far as the rest of your post, I think you are right on. Your areas you feel need work are imperative and your concerns succint and poignant.

Back