I Agree Gailey Did Not Have His System In Place...

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
last year and if I thought that was the problem, I would be firmly in his camp. What makes me think he is not the man for Tech is the lack of enthusiasm and discipline demonstrated by the players. If you look at our successful coaches in the past, their teams' exemplified those characteristics. I think of Dodd, Ross, and O'Leary/Fridgen and I don't see Gailey cut out of that mold. I think he is use to dealing with grown men with lots of money who do what they darn well please. Personally, I think it is time for a change. I like Coughlin or McWhorter.

South Georgia Jacket

I never said I didn't like the man personally, what I have been saying is he was/is not cut out to coach at Tech. This position needs more for what it demands - it's for the coach, the father, the advisor, the priest/pastor, the teacher, the mentor ... it's just plain DEMANDING from all aspects.

The personality/strength/toughness is as important as the overall ability - those other coaches had it. You have to multi-task on this job and that takes a very special individual who can handle the rigors of GT academics/athletics!

Wasp - Someone mentioned in a post yesterday - Bill Curry as AD if a change had to be made, your thought?????

MsTechAnalysis,

Sorry for butting in on this:

I believe Bill Curry was a fine player and coach at Tech. As I have posted before, given our culture, academic requirements, school size, filling coaching positions with Tech men/Tech women just seems to me to make sense.

Before, the regular group of late hitters piles on, I'm not suggesting we lower any requirements in order to fill the job vacancy with a Tech person, but the extra loyalty and devotion would be a good thing when all else is equal.

Having said that, I would welcome Bill Curry back as AD when we decide we need one. I also know there are many who will never (repeat never) forgive Bill for leaving Tech for Alabama.

But if we could somehow get over that, and Bill would take the job I think it would be a good thing, a very good thing.

Just my $0.02. If we need a new coach Coughlin is somebody we should talk to. But Mac will never be a HC IMO at a Div 1 school. Not at Tech or anywhere else. He seems to be a fine line coach but I still haven't seen anything to show me he's the guy for Tech. And why is it that those who think we didn't shoot high enough when we hired Gailey would settle for Mac? Shouldn't we be looking for a proven winner?

NCJacket, Coughlin would be a good fit if he hasn't contracted "pro mentality disease" like gailey.. He's a tough SOB & would give the beard strokers/pipe smokers on The Hill all they could handle... Coughlin is intriguing, prob is he will be cashing a check elsewhere before we get around to pulling the lever on gailey's trap door...

I would not mind having Curry at GT as the AD, but not as a coach.

smile.gif

Coughlin might be one of the few who could pay for himself by putting a team on the field that can sell some tickets. We've blown a big dent in the checking account since Braine has O'Leary keep the 1.5M and we're paying Gailey a million - hurts me to even write it. But, if we are willing to open the checkbook there a few guys out there - Coughlin for one - who can turn this around pronto.

Originally posted by 71Bee:
MsTechAnalysis,

Sorry for butting in on this:

I believe Bill Curry was a fine player and coach at Tech. As I have posted before, given our culture, academic requirements, school size, filling coaching positions with Tech men/Tech women just seems to me to make sense.

Before, the regular group of late hitters piles on, I'm not suggesting we lower any requirements in order to fill the job vacancy with a Tech person, but the extra loyalty and devotion would be a good thing when all else is equal.

Having said that, I would welcome Bill Curry back as AD when we decide we need one. I also know there are many who will never (repeat never) forgive Bill for leaving Tech for Alabama.

But if we could somehow get over that, and Bill would take the job I think it would be a good thing, a very good thing.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71: I also believe Bill Curry would be a great AD. I can't remember who made that suggestion yesterday but I thought it was a good one. I'm already in Tom Coughlin's camp as football coach here - as a BC person I know plenty about what he can do and accomplished and the kind of person he is.

Beebad: I said yesterday as good as he turned out in the pros - I thought he was a better college coach.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Asho: WE AGREE!! One down a few more to go!
smile.gif

Agree on Coughlin being a better college coach, MsT&A.. Timing.. we just missed Fridge by a year.. hopefully the next time around lady luck will pay us a vist..
wink.gif

Btw, thank you for the invite someday to your scrumptuous feast.. are you going to the festival in Marietta this weekend?

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Agree on Coughlin being a better college coach, MsT&A.. Timing.. we just missed Fridge by a year.. hopefully the next time around lady luck will pay us a vist..
wink.gif

Btw, thank you for the invite someday to your scrumptuous feast.. are you going to the festival in Marietta this weekend?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BB: Festival - Sunday!! Will eat there with food to go. Ah, Greek music as well ... I'm too sentimental - both parents gone brings back lots of wonderful memories!
smile.gif

I also agree that Bill Curry would do a fine job as AD at Tech. I believe he truly bleeds white and gold.

MsTech, we may not be as far apart as you think. I am a self assigned referee regarding this issue, and I will call a foul when I see one.

My personal feelings regarding Gaileys chances of succeess or failure are completely separated from my sense of fair play.

wink.gif

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:

smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Asho: WE AGREE!! One down a few more to go!
smile.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Me too! let's make it a menage a trois!

my only problem with curry is that he is 61 years young. Does he have the fire in the belly, and does he realize the problems? We allowed him to learn to coach at our expense, but can we let him learn to be AD at our expense? Great guy, but put him in charge of fundraising.

I still maintain Jesse Jackson will have more to say about who coaches here next than anyone. If Clough is a little light in the loafers in knowing how to oversee an athletic program, imagine what kind of a pretzel he will bend into when a bunch of Atlanta militants are on his doorstep. Just the facts fellas.

If Bill Clinton or Jesse Jackson ever has anything to do with Tech, I am out of here.

drinking.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif

drinking.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif

"Topic: I Agree Gailey Did Not Have His System In Place..."

Let's back up. Okay, correct (as per topic)
so the question is "where do we go from here"?
1. We make the best of the situation and continue to support Georgia Tech......PERIOD!!!!!
2. Continue (as some do, to nip at the heels of Gailey and Braine(all that I know who nip heels are true dogs); especially Gailey) After all he took the great O'L's place (who by the way was about to get canned for an inferior performance) his last year; that is, unless he made serious coaching changes. Hey anyone want to talk "coach friendliness, openness, availability?????Come on and give me a break: I was at Yellow Jacket Alley every appearance of the Irishman and never even got eye contact......Don't talk to me about openess/availabilty: I was there) Truthfully, how childish can you get!!!!???????? Talk about players quitting on a coach??????Get Real. O'L's last year was a disaster..if any players need to be found who quit on thier coach, look at O'L's last squad. Either there are many who have inferior memories or who where not ON THE SCENE or else are just plain sore because Mac did not get the job. (By the way: where is the rush for Mac these days??) I love him, but he was not called as coach....AND KNOW THIS: if he were I would stand behind him whole-heartedly....not like a bunch of dishrags on this board who simply delight is crushing anything that is not of their sweetest spoiled choosing. In other words: Those who did not get their way(many have acted like babies).....Shame!!!!
3. Just continue to be a "ooooBoy, I agree with YOu" type;and continue to show your lack of real football knowledge by your endless verbage.
4. Or "COOL IT".......start going for the gold instead of being an eternal whining baby!!!!!!!
5. Feel your oats because we are on national
exposure: Oh, boy, STINGTALK!!!!!!!!! Big Deal: "I don't get a hearing or respect from anywhere else, but boy they purk up their ears when I post on StingTalk."

Back