I am concerned about the DC issue.

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
It's bad to be in this boat right now. And we've all argued about the Smith situation for the last week, so I won't comment further.

I hope CG moves quick, but I want the right guy. Does anyone have an opinion on who the DC should be? Just hypothetical at this point....

But I'd like to see consideration given for Gary Gibbs or Joe Kines. Both of those guys can coach defensive football. I know they were UGA guys at one point, but so was Mac, and we all liked him.

Somebody throw out some more names.

I have had the same concerns as LawBee. He has been hired about six weeks now and we only have one coach on the defensive side of the ball. He has stressed that he wanted to get the right fit
but I would think that all coaches would have that goal. He was quoted by Joseph Person of the Macon Telegraph that he was going to wait a week before attempting to fill that spot but he gave no indication when he would finally get around to filling out his staff. A couple of recruits indicated that Tech not having the Coach that would be coaching them was the determining factor
in their decision not to come to Tech. This is bothersome to me because we needed to have a good class coming in. It won't affect our team too much this coming season but then we lose a ton of players after next season and we can't replace them with freshmen unless we want to take a giant step backwards but with this class of incoming players we just can't plug too many holes with
them. There have been some strange things happening with CG'S recruiting strategy. As thin as we are on the OL but yet I understand he didn't
offer Palmer a ship. I guess he had his reasons but from here they don't make a lot of sense.

Big Buck,
It's way too early to judge CG's recruiting skills. Wait 'til next year. This is a transition year and we don't have too many schollys to give. Everyone is concerned about this and that, and I understand...but we gotta give him the benefit of the doubt at this time.

You misread my post BugBoy.My point as it pertained to the OL was that we are very thin up front with several of the returnees having sustained serious injuries and we may be thinner than we think and from what I have been told by two sources that Palmer was ours if we would just offer and for some strange reason CG did not offer. He has great grades and obviously many other BIG TIME programs think he has the talent
so my remarks was confined to this set of facts.
After thinking about it again,it still doesn't make any sense. But I did take note of your advice.

I think we all wish the staff etc. was in a little more cohesive state... it has been two months since GOL resigned... I think most of us probably would have thought things would have been a little further along... I know I do... but, we have to give CG the chance and time to do the job... I am sure that he would like for things to be a little further along as well....

Originally posted by Big Buck:
I have had the same concerns as LawBee. He has been hired about six weeks now and we only have one coach on the defensive side of the ball. He has stressed that he wanted to get the right fit
but I would think that all coaches would have that goal. He was quoted by Joseph Person of the Macon Telegraph that he was going to wait a week before attempting to fill that spot but he gave no indication when he would finally get around to filling out his staff. A couple of recruits indicated that Tech not having the Coach that would be coaching them was the determining factor
in their decision not to come to Tech. This is bothersome to me because we needed to have a good class coming in. It won't affect our team too much this coming season but then we lose a ton of players after next season and we can't replace them with freshmen unless we want to take a giant step backwards but with this class of incoming players we just can't plug too many holes with
them. There have been some strange things happening with CG'S recruiting strategy. As thin as we are on the OL but yet I understand he didn't
offer Palmer a ship. I guess he had his reasons but from here they don't make a lot of sense.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Big Buck,
I don't think I misread your post. You questioned CG's recruiting strategy and I just replied that it's too early to judge his recruiting skills (I probably should have said "strategy")...But your worries about CG are duly noted. And my opinion is just that...an opinion.
FWIW, I think the whole fan base, myself included, is a little punch drunk from all the problems. My biggest worry now is who our next DC will be. I'm honestly not worried about recruiting at this point. It's almost over and we'll get who we get.

just wait until tomorrow night. or thursday morning. then you will find out the answers to a lot of the questions being asked

bugboy, Gary gibbs is a great suggestion. Does anybody know if he and CG have a connection?

Add me to the list of "concerned" fans. CG has been away from the college ranks awhile, and, I don't think he realized the competitiveness of recruiting at this level. He definitely doesn't appear to have the sense of urgency that we all do as to establishing a staff. Glad that he is thorough, but, my goodness, what in the world is taking him so long?

I thought that he might bring some coaches with him that had been in pros. Am sorta disappointed that he hasn't.
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

It took CG (what seemed like) a long time to hire Smith. Where do we go from here?

I would like to have a DC in there. In some ways we are not going to be able to put this behind us UNTIL we hire a DC.

How tough can it be. We have a list. I assume Smith was the top now we move to the second name.

I just want to put all this behind us.

Back