I am NOT proud today....

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
When I read the following....

"Braine emphasized that neither coach ever submitted erroneous information to Georgia Tech."

"Rick never once misled us," emphasized Braine. "None of the Florida State information appeared in anything he provided to us. He's paid a high price for this and all of us at Georgia Tech wish him the best in his future endeavors. We accept his resignation with a great deal of sadness."

then I do not understand and am not proud...

if we are saying that we are taking these actions because a man lied 10 years ago, last year, or 20 years ago.. where does it stop... do we go back to birth and burn anyone because they have lied, if thats the case, then everyone of us is guilty. Why do we have statue of limitations in our legal system.. (law-bee, need your help with this... ) what does it matter that a certain amount of time has elapsed.

I am disappointed again, we did a man wrong. We did not take the high road, not based on what I read in the information from Braine... so he accepted the resignation... but why? If I were Chan Gailey, I would be more than pissed. There should be other resignations besides Smith's..

bizzybee

Damn Good Rat
jacketguy, I'm with you on this one! If he never submitted any false info. to us, why let him go? Is it just the media pressure? If info. did not appear in OUR media guide, what's the big deal? Also, SID lazy in just taking OK. State's info without any questions asked.

law_bee

Dodd-Like
I preface this by saying I do not know the WHOLE story. Probably only a few people actually do. And just b/c Braine says something in the media to spin this we do not know what EXACTLY was done or not done.

This is based on what I have heard.

It appears that the difference between Smith and Robinson is the action (or lack of) after erroneous information was brought to their attention. It appears that Robinson made attempts to have the info removed at his previous school. I do not believe that Smith made those same attempts.

With regard to statute of limitations: The reason these coaches are hired is based on their past. We cannot ignore the good or the bad that existed prior to their involvement with GT. If it were to come to light that a GT employee had done something improper 10 years earlier I think that each case would have to stand on its own facts.

It is very sad. My job is all about getting people second chances. But most of the time there is punishment prior to that second chance. Sometimes that is prison. In this case it is Smith losing his job.

His life is not over. He will probably have to take some lesser job but if he perseveres then he will be given another opportunity. When we do something that is unethical you take the risk that there will be consequences.

pjjacket

Flats Noob
Link

Here is the link to the article Ahso... mentioned in his post.

THWG Up with the White and Gold