I bet this is an interesting stat......

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
Anybody know how many cumulative turnovers we have had in the last 3 games ?

There were 4-5 at BYU....The UGA game had more than I can count, as did the FSU game (bowl).

Does anybody have the number ? I bet its over 12 - maybe 13 or 14...That would be a STAGGERING number of TOs....

Why would we have so many turnovers ? Lack of concentration ? Bad luck ? Something thats not happening in practice ? (ie, not performing a drill that we should be) ????

I cannot speak for GT, but back in
my playing days many years ago, our
coach who was a legend in his time
solved turnovers by;

1. at the end of practice each day,
running ten perfect plays which always
and I mean always running at least 50
plays, ( to my knowledge our team could
never run ten perfect plays to suit our
coach)against our scout team.

2. running Oklahoma drills, some of you
OF's out here know what I am talking about.

After doing this turnovers became a thing
of the past.

A coach doesn't fumble the ball or make
stupid penalties, but he can make damn
sure a player does not do either/or.

Game to game you can always find abberations. What I thought was interesting was the cumulative annual numbers over the last few years.

For example last year we lost 10 of 26 fumbles. That's the exact same as 1998 when we finished 9-2 regular season. The main difference was we had 20 INTs last year against only 8 in '98.

Another way to look at it is we lost 30% of the fumbles we lost last year. So either we're almost over it or we have some guys who can't hold onto the ball. I agree that the right practice drills should help, or at least show who just can't hang onto the ball.

BTW according to Gailey we do run Oklahomas.

Originally posted by Gold Rush:
Anybody know how many cumulative turnovers we have had in the last 3 games ?

There were 4-5 at BYU....The UGA game had more than I can count, as did the FSU game (bowl).

Does anybody have the number ? I bet its over 12 - maybe 13 or 14...That would be a STAGGERING number of TOs....

Why would we have so many turnovers ? Lack of concentration ? Bad luck ? Something thats not happening in practice ? (ie, not performing a drill that we should be) ????
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm guessing around 17 turnovers in the last three games.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that the UGA game and the FSU game had 5 each (conservative estimate) - that would be 14 in 3 games.
shocked.gif

vs UGA - 2 ints, 3 fumbles lost
vs FSU - 6 ints, 1 fumble lost
vs BYU - 1 int, 3 fumbles lost

UGA - 0 to's
FSU - 0 ints, 2 fumbles lost
BYU - 2 ints, 0 fumbles lost

Tech: 16 turnovers against 4 takeaways

2002 GT Football Stats (link)

Can't you people look stuff up? Its on rr.com

Here it is -- and I added TIME OF POSSESION (very interesting) since it is also wildly out of our favor and related to the turnovers.

........INT........FUMB/Lost.....Time of Poss
BYU....._1_........_3/3_........._GT 21 BYU 39
Fresno.._6_........_2-1_........._GT 22 FSU 38
UGA....._2_........_6-3_........._GT 23 UGA 37

So we got 16 turnovers and a 1:2 time of possession margin our last 3 games.

Of course the relevance of last season and this is minimal IMHO. Unless you're looking to outright hate Chan and want ammo.

Originally posted by kirbee:
Can't you people look stuff up? Its on rr.com

Here it is -- and I added TIME OF POSSESION (very interesting) since it is also wildly out of our favor and related to the turnovers.

........INT........FUMB/Lost.....Time of Poss
BYU....._1_........_3/3_........._GT 21 BYU 39
Fresno.._6_........_2-1_........._GT 22 FSU 38
UGA....._2_........_6-3_........._GT 23 UGA 37

So we got 16 turnovers and a 1:2 time of possession margin our last 3 games.

Of course the relevance of last season and this is minimal IMHO. Unless you're looking to outright hate Chan and want ammo.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">------------------------------------------

Dude,

This has absolutely nothing to do with CG - sheeese, don't be SO defensive !

Find me ANY team that can win with that many TOs !

Plus, I assume you are making the connection between loss of TOP and turnovers...Thats an excellent point as shown by the data.

We MUST improve in this turnover category - asap!

Back