I just got on the board, and haven't read anything

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
I just got on the board, and haven\'t read anything

yet, thus I am totally unbiased

My thoughts:

1. I thought the team played hard, and I was proud as heck for the first time in a while

2. Lack of depth showed after the BYU loooong drive to end the half (18 plays ?)

3. D came out flat (understandably) to start the 2 half, I think it was tough just after that drive. which...

4. Had several bad calls (the long drive) - when BYU ran on 4th, the guys knee hit first way behond the mark, Tech would have had the ball at their 40 with a lead.

5. Reggie looked better than Shawn Jones did in his first game by a LONG shot (no offense to Shawn
grin.gif
) but he IS the real deal, and I predict he will improve throughout the year - I was AMAZED at his poise for a freshman.

6. Two COSTLY Turnovers on back to back drives was a killer.

7 I am optimistic about these guys and our young guys in particular.

8 Wish I could have seen another RB, just for change of pace if nothing else

9. We seem to run the same plays a lot, but perhaps a frosh in his first game - is understandable.

Re: I just got on the board, and haven\'t read anything

i think we played the 1st half inspired. the defense was playing tough and bailed itself out twice with interceptions. we had a touchdown from our special teams .. when was the last time that happened? long time ago. reggie ball showed poise.

i have no qualms regarding our play calling .. none at all. our offense was moving the ball consistently. we ended 4 drives deep in the opponent's territory. the offense was a base offense which is totally understandable when we have a true freshman quarterback.

the fumbles on O were very costly. we certainly cannot afford to do that. the D needs to be off the field.

consider the turnovers ..

jonathan smith fumble .. i thought he was down .. regardless, very uncharacteristic.

nate curry fumble .. first real game when healthy
jimmy dixon .. first real game when healthy
reggie ball interception .. first real game period

the running game has to improve and the OL has to improve in the running game aspect. the OL was great in the passing game and ball is elusive anyways.

gailey bashers keep saying that the offense is too conservative and gailey is conservative.

i think gailey is smart. if being conservative is the smart thing to do .. he does that. i think it's smart to be conservative with a true freshman.

ball handled everything well he was asked to do. gives him confidence and shows gailey that ball can handle it .. gives gailey confidence in his decision of starting ball.

our O, our O will improve as ball gets more experience. the playcalling will open up. we need to hang on to the ball though. i'm putting that out as uncharacteristic.

the D, our secondary is very inexperienced and it showed. very talented but very inexperienced, lots of room to improve. our linebackers are good and our DL is good but no depth. our defense can improve.

that's what i think. i think that our recruiting is going well. i think our future is bright. i may be wrong. but no one can convince me that i am wrong right now.

i am not sure that gailey will succeed but i believe in gailey. if he doesn't he'll be replaced. but no one can convince me that he gailey won't succeed right now. time will tell.

Back