"I used to laugh at Urban Meyer"

In clear refutation of perception, Johnson actually has a desktop computer. And an iPhone sits in front of him – albeit one that looks like a dated model, maybe an iPhone 4.

iPhone 4? Are you ööööing with me? Dude makes almost $3MM a year.

#firepauljohnson

:lol:

After writing an article about running the option, they link a video of Top 5 plays from '14. 3 of those are passes.

Sending in plays from the sideline is something I haven't really thought about. Why do other teams use signals versus just saying the play? Obviously Oregon couldn't do that, but for more traditional offenses like Alabama, why do they use signals? Signals seem like a waste of practice time, if nothing else. The only reason for a huddle team to use signals is so the OC can sit in the booth.

For how the TO looks so "ancient," really the only difference is the QB taking the snap under center. Really that is the only thing that makes the offense look "ancient" or "boring." Oregon and Ohio State have the same philosophy of 11-vs-11. But Oregon and tOSU use shotgun, so idiots can think "durr, it looks modern because shotgun."

Most of the pro teams themselves are going for 11-vs-11, with a high premium placed on mobile QB's. The math works against a traditional drop-back QB.

Though it didn't pass as a rule yet, there will be some experimentation with QB and D-Captain headset technology this year. I'm not sure what conferences/divisions will be trying it out.

If it gets passed for FBS in a future year, I wonder if CPJ shuns it...

if the same 11 are on the field for each play, then sending plays in verbally from the sideline is tough. what if they play ends at the boundary on the other side of the field and there is no player close to the coach, plus no players coming off of or onto the field?

the fact that we sub ab's in on every play is what makes it easy, if not possible.

Though it didn't pass as a rule yet, there will be some experimentation with QB and D-Captain headset technology this year. I'm not sure what conferences/divisions will be trying it out.

If it gets passed for FBS in a future year, I wonder if CPJ shuns it...

He'd probably be worried about people electronically eavesdropping.

Sending in plays from the sideline is something I haven't really thought about. Why do other teams use signals versus just saying the play? Obviously Oregon couldn't do that, but for more traditional offenses like Alabama, why do they use signals? Signals seem like a waste of practice time, if nothing else. The only reason for a huddle team to use signals is so the OC can sit in the booth.

Seems obvious to me why most teams signal. You send in a play, then the defense changes their formation. What then? Signaling lets you change the play according to the defensive formation.

Back