Ideas for iminent coaching search

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by madRazor, Feb 7, 2019.

1. TechRush

TechRush Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Two words: Mark Price. It's time to bring him home.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Bring him in as a consultant to teach our guys how to shoot? Yes.

Head coach? No way. We just hired 2 coaches who were trending downward/on the hot seat in their previous jobs. Price was fired from a mid major and never sniffed a winning season. We need a recruiter.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  3. atlanta jacket

atlanta jacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    atlanta ga
    Team:
    georgia tech
    I dont think he got much of a chance at Charlotte, we could do worse i.e. Pastner

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We could do worse. We could be Pitt last year...except every year. Pastner had a vastly superior resume to what Price has and so did Gregory. I want someone who is on the upswing. Hell, find me the best high school coach in the country before you hire a failed college coach.

• Like Like x 3
  5. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I don't think Pastner did any of the things he was accused of by Bell. I am saying the fact that he exposed our program and players to Bell given Bell's known history is sufficient grounds to terminate Pastner for cause.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    What was Bell's history, prior to Pastner knowing him, that should've tipped Pastner off? I don't know much of the backstory. I thought Bell had some kind of illness that Pastner helped with from Arizona? Is that not right?

Whatever it was, though, it wouldn't be sufficient to create a 'for cause' termination of Pastner.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  7. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We backed him through the whole ordeal and the NCAA didn't find any cause to punish him. Super weak case.

8. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He had cancer, I think, but had also done some jail time for something.

9. georgia_tech_swagger

georgia_tech_swagger Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Team:
    GT, USCU
    https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ion-from-georgia-tech/iLGyyk25JWsmHcX6HfRLUM/
    https://www.myajc.com/sports/college/details-josh-pastner-contract-extension/YWSIQaan7KMkdNmRX5gPrI/

Cost to fire Pastner by year ... ? => speculated sum
    2018-19: 100% of 1.7m + 1.9m(?) + 2.0m(?) + 2.2m(?) + 2.4m = ~ 10.2m
    2019-20: 100% of 1.9(?) + 2.0m(?) + 2.2m(?) + 2.4m = ~ 8.5m
    2020-21: 100% of 2.0(?) + 2.2m(?) + 2.4m = ~ 6.6m
    2021-22: 75% of 2.2m(?) + 2.4m = ~ 3.45m
    2022-23: 60% of 2.4m = 1.4m

Pastner isn't going anywhere prior to the conclusion of the 2020-21 season unless 7 figures gets handed to the GTAA.

But it is nice to see that non-partisan observers of the program smell a conclusion coming.

https://fansided.com/2018/11/05/college-basketball-coaches-hot-seat-2018-alford-mullin/2/

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/10/08/hot-seat-coaches-steve-alford-richard-pitino

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/12...s-on-the-hot-seat-entering-conference-play/2/

10. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology

Maybe Pastner will get a guilty conscience and resign?

11. BrentwoodJacket

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    So we are destined to decline for two more seasons. I have been following Tech basketball since the 60's and this is the low point.

12. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Don't be ridiculous. We went 24 years (1960 to 1984 with only 2 NIT appearances).

Hyder's last 2 years and Morrisons' first year are the worst 3 year stretch in the program.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BrentwoodJacket

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Both the NCAA and NIT were much more difficult to reach during that period. The NIT teams with Yunkus would have been at least sweet sixteen NCAA teams with the current format. We had a 21-5, three 17-9 and a 18-10 in that stretch that did not go to either tournament. You had to win the conference to make the NCAA.

I was in school for that 3 year stretch in the 70's. At least we were coming off two excellent seasons.

14. atlanta jacket

atlanta jacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    atlanta ga
    Team:
    georgia tech
    That is correct, in fact during the north-south classic while Rich was here we beat UNC and NCST back to back in 2 nites

15. atlanta jacket

atlanta jacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    atlanta ga
    Team:
    georgia tech
    What we hired was a failed college coach, Memphis wanted him gone and we came along

16. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yes and I am saying let's not do that again.

17. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    I don't think I'd go so far as to say "much" more difficult. What, a combined 32 teams rather than 64? Either way, those three years were brutally bad. Who knows, in another year or two we might set a new benchmark for badness?

18. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Didn't happen at Memphis. Our only hope is some other hapless program like Washington State or Cal comes along after missing out on their top targets and works out some sort of deal to take Pastner and lessen the financial blow for us.

19. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    Hype just means the potential is there, but unless something positive occurs, then hype is nothing more than BS.

The last 2 basketball hires have essentially been stop gap measures in order to stop the bleeding from within. Both coaches were basically gifted to GT because CBG walked into a certifiable dumpster fire, after the Hewitt financial windfall, and didn't stand a chance, whereas CJP couldn't get out of Memphis quick enough as the hostiles were calling for his head.

If and when there is a new search for a basketball coach, the finances must be squared away prior to any type of move as the program personnel have cost us money, time, and any real program prestige per se. Not only does the term "roster management" apply to the players, but a concerted effort should be made by the Stansbury and the GTAA to apply that train of thought towards coaching hires and their corresponding staffs also.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BrentwoodJacket

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The field did not expand to 32 until 1975. The current disaster is much worse because we have better facilities, a better recruiting environment and a richer history of previous success.

• Like Like x 1