Ideas for iminent coaching search

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by madRazor, Feb 7, 2019.

1. MACHETE

MACHETE Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Tijuana
    Team:
    Jackets
    What is really surprising (and depressing) is the the total lack of recruiting. Heck, Gregory was better than Pastner.

Also, are we finally done paying Hewitt and Gregory?

2. thwg

thwg Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Lake O
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Correct. He has two more seasons. Hopefully that’s time for the team to get old.

3. gtphd

gtphd Georgia Polytechnic and State University

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    Gregory is done, Hewitt’s last payment is next season.

4. savbandjacket

savbandjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A Bunker
    Team:
    GT
    It is astounding that we are still paying Hewitt. That contract was complete AD malpractice by Dave Braine. He and Bobinski set Tech basketball back at least a decade with moronic decisions.

• Like Like x 3
  5. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    What is so hard to understand? It has been renegotiated several times to help us out. Lower payments over more years.

6. gtphd

gtphd Georgia Polytechnic and State University

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    To be fair, Hewitts contract should have ended years ago. Tech negotiated with Hewitt post firing for less money per year over more years.

7. savbandjacket

savbandjacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    A Bunker
    Team:
    GT
    I get that, but the fact we even had to do that is absurd. It was malpractice to agree to the contract that we did with Hewitt.

8. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    As a precursor to that ever having to occur, Hewitt's contract should have never been allowed to be structured like it was. Braine was the idiotic face of that disaster, but where were the other checks and balances that should have stepped in and said whoa. That öööö-up more than anything else since has crippled the basketball program to date.

9. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Complaints about Hewitt's contract are so much MMQB'ing. I don't have any inside info, but we all thought he hung the moon after he got us 10 pts from a national championship. If there was a lot of competition for his services, the rollover contract was a way to retain him while spreading the cost over more years.

10. Architorture23

Architorture23 Gentle and authentic and loving.

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    firing basketball coaches is what we do! let's get on with it.

you mean over infinity years?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    Unfortunately the 1 hit wonder Hewitt produced never manifested itself into anything greater, nor was he able to maintain, or achieve anything similar afterwards. It was a great business decision for him, but that (contract) has most definitely been the biggest thorn in the side of the basketball program since then.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Uh oh, is this going to turn into another ST math thread?

• Like Like x 1
  13. texstinger

texstinger Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    If any basketball HC discussion is going to bring up endless Mark Price (God Bless Him for what he once did for us) recommendations, then just keep CJP.

But if the situation merits, mainly from a lack of recruiting, I would hope CJP would gracefully exit.

I am no basketball technician but I really do not understand why he has not done better.

14. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He will not gracefully exit without a buyout of all the money due on his contract.

15. 77GTFan

77GTFan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    My top five would be Johnny Dawkins, Gregg Marshall, Earl Grant, Ron Hunter and Scott Padgett

16. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I am not lobbying for Price but I think he would have been a better choice than Pastner. I believe Price would have recruiting credibility. At this point Pastner has no credibility. This is probably his last Power Five coaching opportunity. I will be shocked if Pastner signs another top 100 recruit while he is here.

17. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    I am strongly in the Pastner camp. He may be a great coach for us still. People do not realize hot things have changed at Tech. Cremona would never do today what he did long ago.

As much as I hate it, we probably need to get old and stay old, we just should stop saying it however.

18. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He's not being fired after this year, so this thread is really just hypothetical. I'm guessing he'll get two more years to try to right the ship, which is probably longer than he'd get at any other ACC school. He and his staff need to do a better job of selling Tech to high school kids, because whatever they're doing right now isn't working.

19. atlanta jacket

atlanta jacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    atlanta ga
    Team:
    georgia tech
    I dont think without a major turnaround, he will get past next year. If so they can just give tickets away out front of Mccamish

20. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    My feeling is that four years is plenty of time to prove you have an ability to recruit at the school that's paying you millions of dollars. However, my understanding of the financial situation leads me to believe that he'll be given another two years.