Ideas for iminent coaching search

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by madRazor, Feb 7, 2019.

1. texstinger

texstinger Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    We can “bottle” this stuff anyway we want, any branding, and don’t think we could give it away.

Seriously, for those in the know, is the “bell” deal being used against us on the recruiting trail?

2. texstinger

texstinger Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    Hell, yes.

Guy can coach and I have no problem with a guy who had his team over to his house for a bbq.

3. texstinger

texstinger Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    Very true, but it is time we learn that if there is a big demand for one of out HCs it is because they are being successful. Time we realize we can’t kill our future to retain a coach. If that coach is succeeding here, then it will be easier to replace them than trying to bring in someonebetter during a dumpster fire.

4. atlanta jacket

atlanta jacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    atlanta ga
    Team:
    georgia tech
    Joe Dooley

5. gtphd

gtphd Georgia Polytechnic and State University

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    Rick Pitino. Just won the Greek cup.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I posted this in another thread but it belongs here.
    One potential future canidate is Steve Prohm, the current Iowa State coach. He grew up around Dalton. He coached Murray State for four seasons (1 conference championship, 4 division championships, NCAA rd of 32, 1 CIT championship, 1 NIT quarterfinal). The Murray State records were 31-2, 21-10, 23-11 and 29-6. He is in his fourth season at Iowa State (1 Big 12 2nd and NCAA sweet 16, NCAA rd of 32, currently ranked 17th). The Iowa State records are 23-12, 24-11, 13-18 and 19-6 this season.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gtfan1147

gtfan1147 Dodd-Like

Prohm would be crazy to leave Iowa State for GT. The program means nothing around the sport anymore. Everything built by Cremins and early-era Hewitt is dead and buried.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. gtphd

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    Maybe we could fire Pastner then bring in “guest coaches” for a few seasons. Let Collins coach a game, Cremins coach a few, big donors can get one each, etc.

9. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He is currently in a tough conference with an in state rival that is 20-5 in the Big 10. He is recruiting to Ames, Iowa as opposed to Atlanta. He is from Dalton. I could see him being interested particularly if we give him the necessary resources and he talks to Coach Collins.

• Like Like x 1
  10. eg1

eg1 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Ontario
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I like Ben Jacobson but there is zero chance that he is leaving NI, so for now just put me down as:
    :bigcry:

11. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    I think Prohm would be an interesting pick, however we may not be able to afford him assuming that any potential coaching change wouldn't take place for another 2 years. I'll take a wait and see on him, keeping an open mind and eye on his progress.

As an aside, the one thing I don't think we should do is take a chance on an up and coming hot mid-major coach as that time has passed and should have occurred after the Hewitt debacle ended. The time for basketball coaching experiments is old, tiresome, prone to failure, and disappointing to watch.

12. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    And Pastner may turn out to be successful here after a poor second and third year.

13. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    I'm maintaining hope.

14. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    It happened in football at vpi. This world is too trigger happy.

15. gtphd

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    THWG
    Best outcome for all, but unlikely with current recruiting. The most likely outcome is another bad 2 or 3 years, or potentially more if his 2020 and 2021 classes are weak.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gtfan1147

gtfan1147 Dodd-Like

It amazes me how many people believe in this goof. Paul Johnson went to 9 bowls in 11 years and somehow gets more grief than Pastner.

The ONLY requirement for the next coach is to hire someone whose fanbase is sad to see him go. Dayton and Memphis were both thrilled with Tech’s hires. Why would you want to hire another mid-to-high major whose fans want him gone instead of a hot up-and-comer?

• Like Like x 2
  17. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, let’s see. Tech fans were thrilled when we got rid of Gregory, Hewitt, Cremins, etc. Y’all need to stop with the “thrilled to get rid of them”. It is total BS; unless you are a Giant and even sometimes when you were (Cremins), everyone is thrilled to see you go.

18. gtfan1147

gtfan1147 Dodd-Like

Huh? You think Marquette was happy to lose Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech? You think UNC-Wilmington was happy to lose Kevin Keatts to NC State? Was George Mason happy to lose Jim Larranaga to Miami? Was Valpo happy to lose Bryce Drew to Vandy? The list goes on forever. Hires don’t always work out, but Tech did Dayton a favor and Memphis a favor. Most fan bases who lose coaches to ACC programs are severely bummed out. So, it’s actually legitimately anti-BS to point this stuff out.

19. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Well, Beamer decades ago is one example of a team sticking with a coach through some lean times and it panning out. How'd that work out for them in basketball? They kept waiting on Greenberg to prove his worth, and ended up wasting 9 years while making the tournament one time. They finally bit the bullet and now they're heading to their third consecutive tournament under Buzz Williams.

Lots of gold in that thread (from both sides) on Greenberg's firing, btw:

https://stingtalk.com/board/threads/report-seth-greenberg-out-at-virginia-tech.63746/

20. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    This is actually a great idea, not unlike your Briles fixation. Pitino has been pretty persuasive in his personal defense. And obviously he's an incredible winner.

• Like Like x 1