If Ball Starts the first game at BYU....

BEESerk

Flats Noob
Did Brandon Shaw start the first game that season or did little Joe? I can't remember. Was Shaw a true Frosh or redshirt?

Mike Kelly? I remember his 90 some odd yard quick kick on Alabama.

He started real early. What an arm!

Kelly didn't start the season, he cracked the lineup about game 3. I thought Shaw was a year ahead of Joe, but don't think he started opening game anyway.

Pretty sure it was Hardee. Lanier could really only run the wishbone and we were moving to an I that year. We lost at Duke in the opener and at home to Cal the second game. IIRC Kelly came in when we got behind in the Cal game and made some things happen and that was about it.

I dont remember ever hearing such good practice reports about LiL Joe during the pre season practices his 1st year, now we all did in August of that 2nd year
Ball must be making great strides....

when was the last time a true freshman started at QB to open up the season????

I cannot think of any. Jones and Hamilton were both R-Fr. Any of the true freshman QB's in our history never started a season.

The AJC says 'no true Fr has started for Tech @ QB since Stu Rogers in 1980 & Rogers didn't start the opener'.

Originally posted by GT Ace:
The AJC says 'no true Fr has started for Tech @ QB since Stu Rogers in 1980 & Rogers didn't start the opener'.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What was our record in 1980? Didn't Whisenhunt get some time at QB as well?

Maybe there was too much credit given to Lumpkin being the star of Stephenson, maybe Ball is the better of the two.

To hell with BYU. We beat'em regardless. If you look at the Cougarfan posting board, they are some who are very worried about our size and speed.

Quote: "Tech has players that ride the pine that would be starting at BYU."

I believe this statement to be true. We have too much talent, great size, and too much speed not to dismantle BYU.

Wrecked, our record in 1980 was 1-10 and the one win was against number one ranked Alabama in Birmingham. We followed that up with a 1-9-1 record in 1981. BULL Curry was setting the woods on fire on the field but nevertheless he was talking about big things in the future. He had one good team and that was 1985.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
Wrecked, our record in 1980 was 1-10 and the one win was against number one ranked Alabama in Birmingham. We followed that up with a 1-9-1 record in 1981. BULL Curry was setting the woods on fire on the field but nevertheless he was talking about big things in the future. He had one good team and that was 1985.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually you have our records switched. We were 1-9-1 in 1980 (tied ND to give the Dawgs their NC) and 1-10 in 1981. I meant the question to be rhetorical to point out that to start a true freshman at QB is asking alot of the young man.

Hate to say this but Bill Curry was no coach. He as much as I respect him as a Tech Player and person just didn't have it on the field.

I remember Shawn Jones started some games as a freshman in 1989 (wasn't that the year he had the winning TD run late against Carolina), but was he the starter in the opener?

Back