If Conn D does stack 8 to 9 in the box...

GITKC

Varsity Lurker
What do you think our offensive gameplan should reveal in this game? My guess would be lots of play action, QB bootlegs with TE (no catches last week) in the flat. Maybe some option then the dreaded WR reverse off the option ala Seattle Bowl or we could just stick with vanilla flavored again. Thoughts?

How about just a plain old fly patterns and post patterns?

I like our chances with Glover, Watkins, and Smith with 1 on 1 coverage. I smell toast.

I think that "reveal" is the key wording in your post. While I expect that we will work in a few different formations than the Vandy game, I do expect us to stick to a very vanilla gameplan since we have 2 big games after this one. While Uconn will no doubt come out w/grit and determination, the reality of our talent, athleticism and speed advantage should assert itself in the 2nd quarter, barring any "meltdowns" (ie. turnovers and penalties).

If Uconn puts 8 or 9 in the box to sellout against the run and force us to beat them through the air, I think that we have mismatches available to take advantage of. I do not see any of their corners that can cover the likes of Glover, Watkins, Smith, et al. one on one. I think that we can take advantage of those matchups and beat them deep a few times. After that, we should be able to use the running game to pound 'em. I think the key for our guys is to simply go out and execute--no mental mistakes and we win handily.
bigthumbup.gif

I say the first time they try it we go deep down the sideline to Watkins. See if they try it again. Even if we don't get a completion, as long as the pass is close, it'll make them respect our speed.

Back