If season cancels how will we look going forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one that sees and believes we're going to see big changes in how we educate in this country going forward, don't want to get into political discussion on here, but have to believe youth FB incl college will be in for change along with added forces such as "moms" and their kids, soccer, unions, injuries, $, etc. How long does it take for all this to play out, don't know, but I feel real sure it's going to happen and we will look back at covid era as beginning time of big change in all the above and many other things. The underlying forces have been in place long before covid IMO. The signs have been there, most of us just don't pay much attention to them.

I'm one that sees and believes we're going to see big changes in how we educate in this country going forward, don't want to get into political discussion on here, but have to believe youth FB incl college will be in for change along with added forces such as "moms" and their kids, soccer, unions, injuries, $, etc. How long does it take for all this to play out, don't know, but I feel real sure it's going to happen and we will look back at covid era as beginning time of big change in all the above and many other things. The underlying forces have been in place long before covid IMO. The signs have been there, most of us just don't pay much attention to them.
Well said!

ok but I don’t get the connection here. I agree that the world will change because of the virus but don’t see the connection to football. Do you think will be less active out of worry for viruses?

It is going to be interesting to see how life will change after all of this, and it will change. I am already dismayed by the early rumblings of those who want to insist we cannot resume normal life until the COVID-19 risk is removed completely. That is an illogical, illusory and unsustainable position to take. But, many do want to live with the illusion of a risk free existence.

There will be many to argue that we cannot risk contact sports, teams in close proximity in locker rooms and the public gathering of fans. They will be strident in urging that those willing to take on reasonable risks to play sports or attend sports are being somehow reckless and irresponsible and somehow threaten the health of others. It will be interesting to see if we cave in to the pressure from those who will be intolerant of public gathering or protect the freedoms of those who want to gather in times of reasonable risk.

Football will certainly see even further decline in participation numbers. Ten years from now the number of high schools no longer playing football will have greatly increased. I hate to see that.

I don’t think you’ll see much change after this. People are fickle and will quickly go back to their normal routines especially those with children. Sure, you’ll always have the small percentage (fringe) who will still be donning masks and hoarding TP in 2 years from now, but I don’t see any long term changes vis a vis sports and education. Right now, folks are being driven by governments to keep kids home and sheltering in place. Once we pass this I can see sports seeing a boom. I do agree there will be groups screaming to stay away from large groups, etc. but they will get lost in the usual drumbeat of screamers in today’s world. There is always another “big thing” right around the corner to cry about. As normal life returns the press will turn to corona hearings as we have a Presidential election looming with a condensed schedule. In today’s world run by electronic media no emergency lasts very long as the next emergency will show up soon enough.

Back to the topic, who is getting paid when no sports are being played, no face-to-face recruiting or visits, etc? Are coaches technically furloughed right now or are they still getting paid? TV contracts won't pay out if there are no games. Are we financially at risk of closing some Title IX programs (and thus some men's programs) to make ends meet if the season does not happen?

If we have done all that we have done to flatten the curve sports should resume safely by md-summer. Many will have immunity, fewer will be transmitting the disease, and those with the disease will get tested quickly and the best help possible. If we don’t plan to gather again in crowds until the risk for this disease is at near zero we are likely looking at the fall/winter of ‘21/‘22 when there could be an effective vaccine in place.

A growing fear of mine is that as Trump and other Governors ease restrictions and encourage getting back to normalcy the haters and critics will call this irresponsible as long as there is any threat remaining. Such a position is untenable and hypocritical. If we are truly willing to avoid social gathering if it can save a single life we have attended our last church service, ball game, movie or concert. Diseases are transmitted in public. If we wish to refrain from sports because saving life is more important then we should save all of the money spent on sports, travel and entertainment and invest in providing food for the hungry. Sixty thousand children a week die of issues related to malnutrition every single week.

I recognize my own complicity in spending money selfishly on entertainment while there are so many people suffering in the world. I try to find some balance and attempt to both enjoy sports and entertainment with family and friends and also be generous in charitable giving. I am sure I don’t get that mix right. But, I do want us to beware of the self-righteous that will oppose all efforts to return to normalcy as reckless and irresponsible.
We surrendered our right to free assembly without a fight.

Football will certainly see even further decline in participation numbers. Ten years from now the number of high schools no longer playing football will have greatly increased. I hate to see that.

Due to CTE, not Covid-19.

If we are still social distancing in September, canceling football will be the least of our issues. The impact to our country will be much greater than the impact of a a less than 1% death rate would be.

I feel stronger now then ever we will have NO sports in 2020. If things resume in 2021 I think it will hurt our program. I had a good feeling about 2021 but that was based on another year of growing pains. Truthfully I see no end to this. I have read a lot & some think we will never develop a vaccine. The social fabric of this country is destroyed. It will take years to repair the damage. I have a 17 year old senior that just lost all the perks that go along with his last year of high school. I feel real bad for parents of grade school kids. Where will they spend the summer? Fun police will keep everything shut down. Guess I will go to YouTube and watch 1990 Virginia game. Life was fun then!

Louisville has cut coaches and senior staff salaries by 10%. I think we'll see a lot more of this.

I feel stronger now then ever we will have NO sports in 2020. If things resume in 2021 I think it will hurt our program. I had a good feeling about 2021 but that was based on another year of growing pains. Truthfully I see no end to this. I have read a lot & some think we will never develop a vaccine. The social fabric of this country is destroyed. It will take years to repair the damage. I have a 17 year old senior that just lost all the perks that go along with his last year of high school. I feel real bad for parents of grade school kids. Where will they spend the summer? Fun police will keep everything shut down. Guess I will go to YouTube and watch 1990 Virginia game. Life was fun then!

I’m actually hearing a vaccine is close, they are just wrapping up the loose ends. I’m thinking end of May and we’ll get it and we will all be be playing playing laser tag and going to the pubs.

This is so off base. People are already starting to get out more and won’t stand for being told what to do much longer. The country consists of more than Manhattan island and whatever CNN chooses to show on screen. It’s a virus not a death sentence. Just like the flu is a virus to most and a death sentence to others. By the end of May folks will be out regardless of what the government says.

Going to ignore with this troll

This is so off base. People are already starting to get out more and won’t stand for being told what to do much longer. The country consists of more than Manhattan island and whatever CNN chooses to show on screen. It’s a virus not a death sentence. Just like the flu is a virus to most and a death sentence to others. By the end of May folks will be out regardless of what the government says.
I hope you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back