If you could change two plays in Tech history...

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
which plays would it be?

I was thinking that for me, it'd be:

1) UNC '90 - The turnover deep in our territory that allowed UNC to score their only TD that day and allowed them the 13-13 tie. We dominated that game 'ceptin for all the screw-ups. That tie robbed us of an undisputed MNC.

2) FSU '92 - The onside kick "recovery" which we know the refs botched. That "recovery" gave FSU the chance to win and lost us the chance at a 5-1 record. After that game, our program spiraled downward and we didn't really recover until late '97, IMO.

While I'm at it, I'll give honorable mention to the fumbled punt in the '99 UGA game. Before that fumble, we were on our way to a blowout. We won the game but didn't get the respect we deserved and we had all the controversy. A "pre-fumble" blowout was ruined by the fumble.

Comments?

Good question...

1) 1997 the blatant pass interference call against Tech vs. UGAG - would have won 4 in a row if it wasn't for that pre-arranged call! That game was ours.

2) 2001 all the 2 point conversion tries against Clemson here. I think the season would have been different with kicking the point after and winning. We were forever bothered by that loss.

I know there are a lot more, but those are most recent for me.

Hey, Bringing it closer,how about the interception and runback TD by FSU last yr.Suggs had another brain-f when he didn't grab that guys facemask if he wasn't going to tackle him.A perfect example of why he couldn't win.

I would have Sean Gregory not fumble against NC State in 2000 and we would have probably won that game. We might have been 10-1 going into a bowl rather than 9-2. We could have had another 10 win season which is rare.

I also would have Joe Burns fall down in bounds rather than running out of bounds versus Maryland. I think that could have turned things around in 2001.

From last year, I would have Hollings sit out the play he tore his knee on. Maybe it wouldn't have happened at all.

To go further into the past:

1) 1971 v. UGAG: 4th and 10 UGAG. If they don't covnert, the game is over. They convert; seconds later Poulos over the top for the winning td.

2) 1976 v. UGAG: Tech went into the game 4-5-1; UGAG was 9-1. We'd fought them to a 10-10 tie with 3 or so minutes remaining. We had the ball and were driving. Adrian Rucker fights for extra yardage on an already good run and fumbles. UGAG recovers and Allan Leavitt kicks the game winner for them with a few seconds remaining.

Honorable Mention: getting off the bus in Athens this year.

Both from 2000: I want back the pass interference non-call against Free Shoes at Bobby Dodd Stadium and either Sean Gregory not fumble against NC State or Kerry Watkins catch what ended up being the last play of that game.

There you go, a chance for an 11-0 undefeated season heading into, most likely, the national championship game. Of course, I'm not certain that we would have won against Free Shoes and NC State if you take back those plays, but another chance to win both of those games would have been better than the actual result.

Well, for one I'll mention '83 Ugag game at GF. 27-24 dawgs, late, Dewberry's got the man (can't recall who at the moment) 20 yds downfield about 5-6 yds behind the DB with next stop the end zone. He chokes the pass and Ugag makes a leaping int and seals the win. Would've been an all time great win. Woulda coulda shoulda.

The Texas A&M TD pass that won the game for them in '65. First time I ever left Grant Field po'd.

Honorable mention - 71 Ugag, 4th down conversion. Another real pisser. We ALMOST had it. ARGH!
That would've been a major win, too.

Here's another one:

UGA '78 - They get a 2nd chance on the 2 pt conversion...they convert and win by 1 pt

ugag '78- The play ELI was injured.

BYU-'02- The play TH was injured the first time.

Honorable mention= ugag '97- I'd have Bostic just fall down at the snap of the ball, instead of being anywhere near Ward, and then the dawg nation would see how blatently they dodged 4IAR. THWG

1956. One play kept Ga. Tech from winning or tying for the national championship. Tennessee and Tech were both undefeated. Johnny Majors, tailback in Tennessee's single wing formation, threw a short pass that went for something like 40 yards because two of Tech's defensive backs collided. The receiver was finally caught at the 2-yard line, but Tennessee scored a touchdown from there and eventually won 6-0, Tech's only loss of the season (10-1 record).

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
Good question...

1) 1997 the blatant pass interference call against Tech vs. UGAG - would have won 4 in a row if it wasn't for that pre-arranged call! That game was ours.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">how 'bout Hamilton's "non-fumble" fumble in '98, and the "fumble" non-fumble in '99. no streak whatsoever if the refs got those right, but i'll trade you those for the '97 interference. or we'll just call it even b/c the '98 call may not have affected the game outcome, but the '99 call definitely did.

Originally posted by bugboy:
FSU '92 - The onside kick "recovery" which we know the refs botched. That "recovery" gave FSU the chance to win and lost us the chance at a 5-1 record. After that game, our program spiraled downward and we didn't really recover until late '97, IMO.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">While that game still hurts, maybe it's best that we lost that game. Think about it...if we win, we're 5-1 and maybe move into the Top 10 (we were 16th going in). Maybe we don't bottom out that year like we actually did, but a win like that on B*** L****'s resume may have just kept him on the Flats longer than 2+ years. Maybe he's given more time to drive the program further into the ground. If so, we probably don't have the chance to hire a coach the same caliber as O'Leary. If not, we're probably sitting here with a team coming off 11 consecutive near/sub .500 seasons. Just playing devil's advocate for a minute. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

My two...
1995 vs UGAg - Kanon Parkman's knuckle ball field goal in the last minute for an 18-17 win in Goof's last game. If the ball got batted down at the line, we end up 7-4 and get a bowl bid in O'Leary's first year, which would've completed a Northwestern-esque turnaround.

2000 vs Clemson - Woody Dantzlers 40+ yd TD run on the final play of the first half. That play still gives me nightmares (shades of Mike Vick's OT TD run against the Vikes last season). Guys were bumping into each other and stumbling all over the place. If somebody makes a tackle, we go into the half up 19-10, maybe even 19-7 if time runs out. We couldn't do it and the floodgates opened after that.

Honorable mention -
'97 Interference vs UGAg
'00 Burns running out of bounds vs MD
'00 Hook and friggin' ladder vs UVA

1. The ND punt return for a TD against Colorado. If the ref doesn't throw the flag, we're National Champs in both polls.

2. FSU's 1992 on-side kick recovery. If we had won that game perhaps everything would have been different.

I've always seen that game as the beginning of our slide from a team that could win the ACC to being 1-10 and firing our coach in the middle of a season.

The two plays that I would change are as follows:

I would have promoted George O'leary to head coach when Bobby Ross left for the San Diego Chargers; and I would have promoted Mac McWhorter to head coach when George O'leary left for Notre Dame.

Beeware:
Definitely agree with you about the promotion of GOL to HC after Bobby left. I was pulling for him or Friedgen and to this day can not understand the thinking! All those coaches turned this program around and GTAA goes outside.
pat.gif

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
All those coaches turned this program around and GTAA goes outside.
pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">MsTech,
I agree with your statement and I will add an updated version:

All those coaches turned this program around and the GTAA goes outside AGAIN?!?!?!.

Originally posted by gnats 67:
Well, for one I'll mention '83 Ugag game at GF. 27-24 dawgs, late, Dewberry's got the man (can't recall who at the moment) 20 yds downfield about 5-6 yds behind the DB with next stop the end zone. He chokes the pass and Ugag makes a leaping int and seals the win. Would've been an all time great win. Woulda coulda shoulda.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yea, gnats67, I can remember that play like it was yesterday. Forever carved into the deep, blue ripples of my mind. It happened right in front of me. GT should have won 31-27. It would have been my first ever witness of a victory over UGAG. GT got them next year, though. Next two years, as a matter of fact. 1984: 35-18 and 1985: 20-16
drinking.gif

Okay Beeware, I'll play.

I would have been okay with either O'Leary or the Fridge when Ross left. Homer was looking for something else. No telling how either would have done since they both learned more about their profession in the pros after leaving Tech.

Don't understand this fascination with Mac. You talk about him building something at Tech, well he wasn't here when we were building anything. He was a johnny come lately to the staff. If Fridge had still been here he would have been the obvious answer. Otherwise O'Leary's staff was so young I don't think we had a real candidate.

For those who don't remember. Mac coached at Tech from 80-84. He then went to Ugag, Ala, West GA, Duke, Ugag again, Clemson and Memphis before returning to Tech in 2000. He was here exactly 2 years before George left. That's why I don't understand all the talk about his loyalty. Nothing against Mac but he's a coach - by definition a gypsy. He's loyal to whoever is writing his check.

Back