If you were Braine, which would you pick?

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Magic wand time, boys and girls... You wake up to find that you are Dave Braine in an important meeting concerning upper north stands season ticket sales and strategy. Two plans are before you. Plan A is to simply sell full-price tickets to anyone, and hope that the more successful visiting teams sell alot of those seats. This plan plays the odds in hopes that the seats are full half the time at full price.
Plan B is to dramatically discount these seats to Tech alumni, staff, and friends... To local church and school youth groups... To the boy and girl scouts...etc, etc... This plan looks to broaden the fan base, cultivate younger fans, give unfamiliar Atlanta families a bargain in sports entertainment. This plan plays the odds that the seats are always full of Tech fans, and soon-to-be Tech fans, at discounted prices.
What would you do? What will Braine do?
BOO

It is sort of like the war. Bush is in the White House with all of the advisors around him. They know every little item that will affect the war. They have all the intellegence gathered from the four corners of the earth, they know every detail that is required to make the decisions.

Then we have the Movie Stars, who know absolutely nothing, and have absolutely no data. However, the Movie Stars are trying to tell Bush what to do.

I don't think I will try to tell Braine how to run the business. I will monitor the results though.

wink.gif

wink.gif

ahsoisee .. did you just compare bdg to a liberal movie star .. like barbara streisand?? that's funny stuff!

maybe bdg should change his nick to bsg .. barbara streisands ghost!

LMAO

Ylojk8, now wait a minute, I didn't compare bdg with anyone. I only compared the idea of questioning the one with all the statistics at their fingertips.

I don't like to swear, so I would not be calling bdg a liberal.

wink.gif

The question is, "if I were Dave Braine?" It would be Plan B all the way. I will always like cultivating NEW FANS and this would be a positive way to do so.

It's an opportunity and you should not let opportunities pass you by. I don't care what anyone says ... I prefer and will always prefer Tech fans in the stands - it's our home base. I want to be able to go to my home base and be with 'my family'! Too many times in the past, I have gone to our home and felt like a visitor!

Creative promotional means that are as simple as what BDG has stated makes it very plain and simple. And yes, it can work!

Agree, MTA sorta like last year when I gave my extra ticket to your daughters friend. We may have a new Tech fan.

I would lean to Plan B; but would put in a request for the services/advice of Arthur Blank immediately!!
smile.gif

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
Agree, MTA sorta like last year when I gave my extra ticket to your daughters friend. We may have a new Tech fan.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oldfoggy: You are exactly right! He's now a Tech fan!! Thank you very much.

I think it depends. Remember, football (and basketball) have to support all the other sports and make sure the GTAA is a self-sustaining entity. The question is how much of discount plan B would impact the budget. Is the plan to always have a discounted prices or only for a specific set of years? What are the goals of the GTAA? To make a certain amount of dollars every year so that it has a cushion? If so, how is the shortfall going to be made up? Is it just to break even? Then you can't discount anything.

Hopefully a good combo of A and B would provide what we need.

Obviously attracting lots of lifelong new fans would be great financially long-term, question is can the program afford to do it short-term.

Thanks for all the responces.
Don't be surprised to see Braine go with Plan A. No imagination, no attempt to expand the fan base. Plan A is purely the laziest and simplest way to sell over-priced tickets to anybody who wants to come and see a visiting team on a "one-shot" basis.
Let's be honest, the ticket prices for the good seats are over-priced in this competitive Atlanta market. To ask this same price for nose-bleed endzone seats is a ripoff. No non-Tech person is going to be real interested in buying those seats at $25 to $30 a pop. It won't happen. Everything is based on profit with Braine. Fan loyalty and common sense marketing are way down his list of "things to do today".
Lower East is the best example of this. So are Thursday night football games and parking passes, and if you really think about them.
Profit is the bottom line. But building a loyal, happy fanbase in a city of 5,000,000 is not as hard as he would have you believe.
BOO

Back