I'm beginning to think I'm in the minority...

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
I\'m beginning to think I\'m in the minority...

But I think some folks are being too hard on DB. He has a tough job on this one. He's not done yet. He's had 1 and 1/2 weeks to find a candidate so far and usually, these searches last 3 weeks or so (see UGA's hiring of MR last year). Let's not forget that he is saddled with a search committee of 6 people that have to be placated. I say that we need to let him finish this process before we jump on him.
Also, there may be more names in the hat than we're aware of. People that are angry because of Taaffe, JR and Mac need to remember that there may be others.
What's my point? My point is that we're not hearing the complete story. We get snippets of info and that info is often not correct. Don't judge DB's search until it's over.
I understand people's frustration on having to wait, but I think we'll be OK when this thing ends.
I'm sure some of you disagree with me and that's fine. As I've seen Ahsoisee say, my opinion is no better than yours. But I do think a little patience would be the perfect tonic for this situation.

Re: I\'m beginning to think I\'m in the minority...

I agree that we are only getting snipits of whats really going on but don't u think that DB should once a week come out with a press conference and bring the tech people up todate with whats happening. He doesn't need to name names but at least keep us posted. Or is this a secret society?

The problem is we are not UGA. Our students take calculus and there are only SO MANY of those students out there.

When you say that Richt did ok, but you have to understand that 6 of his recruits failed to make grades last year.

Point is there is very little margin for error and people are concerned if there is no good reason for the delay of hiring a coach.

I believe the reason is that we are going to dismiss a LARGE number of our coaches and that they figured 12-27 was just as good as 12-19 as with regard to putting in the new coach. They wanted to let the team end with this set.

I also believe our candidate coaches in the NFL so he season is still going strong.

I guess what is done IS DONE and we only had 16 scholarships to give this year anyway. But I understand people's apprehension. We have had situations at GT that have not turned out well.

But the GREAT news is the 70mil renovation of BDS. This means that the GTAA will have to put a good product out there.

I understand your points. Personally, I'm not worried about recruiting and current assistants and what-not. I hate to lose good recruits, but this is the recruiting dead period I think, so damage is minimized somewhat. If we lose a few, so be it. All coaching changes lose some recruits. We can thank O'Leary for that.
As for DB's performance in all this...that can be judged a few years down the line when we see how our new coach performs. As you point out, the renovation is gonna put a spotlight on our football program and a mediocre program won't fill those extra seats.

Great post Bugboy... and I have to say that I agree... hey, I am like each and every person on this board... I would love for us to know who the coach is, and to know that this coach will take our program to the level it deserves... I am not one who believes that just because the curriculum involves calculus that it translates into a losing football team... there is no reason why we cant be just as good as anyone.... (if a person aspires to live in a mobile home... they probably will... ) I really look at this situation as trying to replace a CXO... it takes time... whether its a CFO, CIO, COO... it takes a bit of time... the difference here is that the talent pool is more finite... I have to trust Dave Braine on blind faith... what choice do I have.. but, I would be more leery of him if he had announced a coach last week etc... as long as he is working on it... and I hope that he is!! I just hope we get a coach to take us to anther level... and one that will beat UGA every year!!

I understand, and hope you're right. That is a reasonably optimistic, but in general things haven't turned out for the better over that last few weeks. It's the ole' spiral effect.

I think we are suffering from a telent pool that is less than exciting. Personally, I would name Mac as the interim head coach and let him prove himself. If he does, remove the interim tag. If he doesn't, perhaps there will be more qualified candidates available next year.

We only have 16 (?) or so scholarships anyway so we shouldn't be hurt too bad.
rocketlauncher.gif

If we lose 1 recruit that may be a game breaker then we in fact have been hurt. Don't u think the possible recruits may want to know whats going on?

Back