I'm thinking 6-6 is likely...

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
I\'m thinking 6-6 is likely...

At this point, I predict losses to Auburn, FSU, UVA, MD, BYU and UGA...

I think we'll beat Wake, Dook, NC State, UNC, Vandy and Clemson.

That's 6-6. And the heat will still really be felt on the back of Gailey's neck at the end of the season.

I think anything between 4-8 and 8-4 is possible. I think that going 9-3 against our schedule, considering the guys we've lost will be almost impossible. Going 8-4 would be impressive.

To this point, Gailey has done nothing to make me believe he's going to lead us back to prominence. I'm really worried that he just doesn't have a handle on our program, and Braine certainly hasn't helped in that regard. I'll reserve final judgment until after season's end. But at this point, I'm worried.

In the short-term, I think going 2-2 in the first 4 games would be great. If we can do that, I'll start to have more faith in Gailey and his ability to motivate.

Re: I\'m thinking 6-6 is likely...

you are quite an optimist ,there isnt a team on our schedule that i call a definite win including duke. i expect we will go 4-8 and get murdered about 4 times.

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
you are quite an optimist ,there isnt a team on our schedule that i call a definite win including duke. i expect we will go 4-8 and get murdered about 4 times.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Toe,

Well, I did note that 4-8 was very much in the realm of the possible. I agree with you about our schedule. And I am an optimist compared to some people that I know. I just feel that we'll win 6. If we win less than 4, then I think Gailey will be run out of town.

Toe, you are right. Anyone can beat us and probably will. Because of the way we open, the lack of discipline and motivation very well could see us throwing in the towel midway through the year. Look for an interim, which won't help. The next coach in might need four years before we get real again.

That's Funny! We have no deep threat, we have no running game, we have another 6-7 guys in summer school who may not be here next year (including some of our touted o-lineman), 3 offensive coordinators (as Bradley rightfully for once stated they will arm wrestle to call the plays), and a fast yet very small defense ( I would run up the middle for 5 yards every time on us). So with that said- 3-9 is as good as it gets. We win 3 out of these 6: Clemson, Vandy, Duke, Wake, BYU, UNC. Of Course only 2 of those are at home. What do you guys think?

Perception can change in a hurry. I am copying and pasting a post made earlier by myself in a thread a couple of months ago.

I will go with a positive approach instead of a negative one at this time. This was posted prior to grade-gate, but here goes:

Before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusion, I am not stating we will be favored in these games, but whether we have a fair chance of winning the game. I think we have a fair chance of winning every game on our schedule if Gailey is as good as his past history indicates.

If the trend is the same as last year, all bets are off. If our new offensive coordinator is Nix, and Tenuta shores up the pass deficiency, we could reach the expectations I had envisioned for last year.

With this in mind and some rumored changes of a new wide receivers coach, and a new emphasis on the special teams coaching, I offer these comments.

We have better material than BYU and should beat them at their place in the first game. If we lose this game, it could become a rough season, and the expectations for the remainder of the season would quickly fall.

Since we have Auburn in our back yard and a win over BYU in Provo, the team should be up to the challenge. It will be a renewal of a great past tradition, and the stadium would probably be packed with Tech fans. It will be a tough game, but it will be a winable game if we have already beaten BYU.

With two wins under our belt, we could possibly win our first game against FSU since they joined the ACC.

Our team confidence should be high at this time, and we would have just played against a strong opponent (Auburn) which should have us prepared for FSU. Another factor, Florida State's program is beginning to crumble and their fans and team are not as confident as several years ago.

With Clemson at our house and three good games under our belt, they should be ours for the taking. I really think Clemson is having some internal problems and this could be Tommy's last year if they do not fare well.

Vanderbilt will probably be a tough game. If we win the first four, it would be easy to get overconfident, and Vanderbilt could be one of those dangerous games on the road. We need to keep an eye on them early to see if their second year with the new coach brings better results in their early games. It is a game we could win, but a very dangerous one.

If we beat North Carolina State at their house with Rivers, we should be able to beat them at our house with a new and improved offense. If we are undefeated at this point, this could be a war, but we have the capability to win it.

Last season should be enough of a factor to ensure that Tenuta prepares correctly for the WF offense. With an improved offense, we should beat Wake Forest at their place. We are still their superior in talent. We will see if our coaching can overcome their's.

Since I hold Friegden in high esteem, I believe things can only get better at Maryland. It is not within the realm of impossibility that Maryland could win them all this year. However, we do possess the talent, and hopefully with a newly revised staff, have the ability to knock them off at Boddy Dodd Stadium. Another big game to test our mettle.

If we have won all the games to this point, or at least lost only two, we should beat Duke there. Duke may be improved this year, and we would be foolish to be too overconfident, but it is our game for the taking if we want it bad enough.

Even though North Carolina has recruited very well in the past two years, we should beat them at home.

Virginia has proven, up through the end of this past year, they are headed in the right direction. If their trend continues, they will be an extremely tough opponent. If we are undefeated or have only a couple of losses at this point, this could be a war of epic proportions at their place. They could be the favored team, but we should possess the ability to upset them there. It would take a very well coached game and a game of few errors, but we could win there.

If all goes well through this schedule and we are undefeated or lost only a couple, We beat Georgia at home and send Richt back to Athens with his first defeat. Make no bones about it, we will have to have a very good offense to beat UGA. Georgia's greatest asset this past year was its defense. They appear to have a good defensive coordinator. However, we can beat them with a well-coached team as shown in the recent past with three straight victories.

This year is similar to O'Leary's last year when we had a tremendous advantage in the teams we played at home. We play some of the weakest teams on the road and some of the strongest at home where we have the home field advantage.

Since this year is eerily similar to GOL's last year, it should be a good comparison to this year's team.

Talk about gold colored glasses!

wink.gif

It's similar in only one respect. We arent playing in June or July. Also, which coaches are still around since 2000. Where is George O'Leary? Where is Ted Roof (preparing to shut down our vaunted running game)? Where is Lance Thompson (only the Assistant Head Coach at LSU)? Where is David Kelly (only the offensive coordinator at Stanford) Where is McWhorter (only the line coach at Texas)? So I guess I can see the similarities you mentioned-PLEASE BRING DRINKS THIS YEAR&lt; YOU WILL NEED THEM. Also dont bring binoculars, you will not want to see it up close. But give it a year-we will be fine if the scenario I mentioned in the other post pans out like it should...

The dictionary says a gnome is a person having a sinister influence. Let me get this straight, O'Leary is not around because he decided to quit on Tech. I guess we can also throw him in the quitter's bracket.

Even though I like Roof, his defenses could never stop the pass, especially on third-and-long.

Assistant head coach means nothing. The head coach has a big responsibility, so does the OC and DC, but the assistant head coach is not that important.

Kelly is still under the magnifying glass at Stanford. He may turn out to be good, but at present it means little.

From my understanding Mac was demoted from the line coach at GT to a lesser position at Texas, maybe a tight end coach or something similar, not too strong of an argument.

Now to our present coaches. Gailey has the most credentials of any coach that has come to Tech as a head coach. It beats the heck out of the credentials O'Leary brought to Tech.

Tenuta is much more established than Roof as a defensive coordinator. Also, Spencer has more impressive credentials than Roof for building defenses. This position also beats the heck out of the last regime of coaching defense.

Nix is far superior to O'Brien as an offensive coordinator. Mark up another one for the present offensive side of the ball at Tech.

Since we have a new coach in charge of the wide receivers, that position can not be compared to Kelly at this point. It can be compared only after the season establishes his effectiveness or lack of.

The story is still out on the offensive line coach, because of inept quarterback play last year. We shall see how line play pans out this year, meshed with the new offense. Tech did not fair well under Tech and Mac's line play in 2001, so we will call this position a draw at present.

The defensive line seemed stronger this past year than in 2001, so I give an edge here to Spencer.

So, at this particular time, it appears the coaching ability is in the corner of the present coaches. You have no leg to stand on.

It appears there is a lot of smoke coming from your direction. Either there is a lot of fire over in your direction, or you have blown a fuse.

rolleyes.gif

Hey gnome....you sure sound alot like and old font named beewar......na, couldn't be...could it?

shocked.gif

I agree that Nix has the ability to be a good offensive mind-but quit fooling yourself- he is not there yet. Why do we need 3 offensive coordinators? Why did Buddy Geiss leave fishing to come back? Because we needed grey hair. Why is the Special Teams guy back in the Corporate World? Tenuta is good, I agree. But we have no depth on the line of any significance. Lance Thompson has plenty of experience. Ted Roof has plenty of experience now. O'Brien took a step down to get away from our pending disaster- but we all know it was right for both he and Gailey....I want to have to eat all of my posts on the pending season's record but I feel better when I manage expectations. But I do believe the staff we have right now is not strong.

Back