Immaturity.......

techsamillion

Flats Noob
vs. Maturity, vs. somewhere in-between.

I have always been for Tech (and to me personally, that has also meant I was for the coaches of Tech). That does not mean that I was 100% happy with who they were. There was at least one that I felt from the beginning (many years ago) would fail. He did. But I guarantee you that no one ever hear a negative word from my mouth about him or the program. Even when Georgia nailed us to the wall. It does mean that if they were our called/hired leaders, then I was 100% behind them and did not ever publicly speak against them. Sorry, that is just the way I am.

Internet has introduced a different opportunity than ever before for venting against any/everything that does not meet with our individual approval. (((Just for the sake of such liberty: I was for 1st: Mac, 2nd: the O.C. from Maryland, 3rd. the guy from Boston College and 4th the assistant from V.T. to be our new coach when O'Leary went to Notre Dame.))) I got none of my four wishes. Instead Coach Chan Gailey was hired. Guess what: I made the best of it. I looked on the positve side and normally I am a realist than leans toward pessimism. The main message I want all to get is that I went along and supported 100% the guy that was chosen.

Forgive me if I offend anyone, but I cannot for the life of me understand nor forgive those who have fought against him from the beginning, middle, last of last year, or now.

Anyone, I say anyone, who has ever been in a position that in the slightest resembles the same demands of leadership (I am confident) will confess the same. I have had to face very similar small, selfish, immature negativity that he has during his time here, so I understand in part what he is going through. For some of your information, by the way, I did the same when Bobby Ross was here. Some/probably most were ready to crucify him. I knew something of what he was going through, so I wrote him a personal letter to explain that he had nothing that he had to prove.....he had already shown himself to be a good football coach and all the critques were simply coming against him for selfish reasons of self adgrandisement. Later on, on a Television show after he began to "bounce back", a reporter asked him about letters he had recieved during his "down time". He said he had gotten many negative ones but on about two positive ones (then he named me/mine). That was a great lesson for me.
I want to try my best not to judge some of you. Of course I have notions as to why some of you have always or have become anti-Chan. I have reacted ignorantly against some of you. But now, I hesitate to do so. Some of you have some traumatic emotional issues that you knowingly or unknowingly (sub-consciously) deal with. It may be where you are in life, it may be your present set of problems, it may be that you yourself have just always been uncomfortable with anyone else's success and happy with another's difficulties.
That being said: please, if you must speak negatively or bust wide open; then just choose for the time being to bust wide open. The world is full of cynicism and negativity. There is no use for nor room for it at TEch at this present hour. Just ask God, how He would have you to post and then post accordingly. If you are an atheist, then fine; i.d. yourself as such; but for the rest, please, let's get together and support the team, school, coaches, workers, etc. at Tech and see all the positive that happens. If you want positive things to happen, then this a way to assure that they will. If you do not, then just slander, curse, be disgruntled, judgemental, miserable, sour, etc, etc........But rest assured: God's Will Shall Be Done!!!!!! The statement has been uttered before: "The question is not whether God is on my side; but whether I am on His side. Just how would God have you to post? A good question for us all/me included. Thanks for listening.

I think September 11, 2001 cost us our September 15 game against FSU, which would have been a victory. A 3 week abscence from the field caused our defense to chase Woody Dantzler all afternoon. I believe our guys, having just dismantled Navy, would have gone on to beat Florida State and Clemson, and ride the high for the rest of the season. Reality check! I'm not trying to make September 11 a story that ruined Tech's NC hopes. I thank God everyday for what I have and how much I am blessed. In a roundabout way, I am trying to say that no matter what the circumstances, O'Leary did not have the team ready to play against Clemson or Maryland. Now, we did have mental mistakes(i.e. Joe Burns), but coaches have to make sure that doesn't happen. Virginia was a mystery. 20-7 lead at the half. Then the wheels came off. Escaping Wake Forest and losses to UGA and FSU. O'Leary coasted b/c he knew he had the Notre Dame job at the end of the season. But who is to say that O'Leary would have done better or as good as Chan last season. We probably never would have discovered Tony Hollings as a Running Back. Gordon Clinkscale never would have gotten an oppurtunity, and so on. Give Chan the entire season before we call for his head. This is a work in progress. No, we're not going to win the NC. But why have pessimism and count one in the loss column before the game even starts.

Every team controls its own destiny at the start of the season. Now Tech has an oppurtunity to finish 11-1. Do I think it will happen, no. But why say so before they even play the game. Let's just see what happens. If this team finishes 4-8 or 3-9, then I will admit being wrong and will be at the front of the line looking for a change. But let's see what happens and give the team and coaching staff a chance.

Since when is it that true fans are not to criticize? We criticize because we are fans not because we are not.

When your kids misbehave, do you just pat them on the head and say you're doing great! If you do, let me assure you that you are a bad parent.

Do I back GT? Absolutely! It's my alma mater, nuff said. But it's precisely because I love my school that I feel obligated to point out where I think we have to improve.

Clearly, emotions will get the better of us and we will say things in ways that may not be the most constructive. But I would hazard to guess that the motives of most of the negative posters on this board is to improve the program.

This is a board where Tech supporters can cheer, learn, provide insight, and yes, gripe about what we preceive to be problems with the program.

If you are in a church that is failing to adhere to Word of God, do you continue to blindly support it? The Bible never teaches to refrain from judging others. Indeed, the Bible commands us to judge others unto righteousness.

For the record, I have never called for CG's head. But you people have to understand that when you gather a group of people that are passionate about anything, you're going to have naysayers, especially when things are not going the way it's supposed to. See, e.g., the bama boards.

Should some of us tone down our rhetoric? Yes. But should some of us get off their high horse and understand that angry fans will share their views with other Tech fans? Equally yes.

Not withstanding the group of trolls that should be muffled, I think this is healthy.

Let's learn to get along, folks.

Originally posted by Jack_it:
Since when is it that true fans are not to criticize? We criticize because we are fans not because we are not.

When your kids misbehave, do you just pat them on the head and say you're doing great! If you do, let me assure you that you are a bad parent.

Do I back GT? Absolutely! It's my alma mater, nuff said. But it's precisely because I love my school that I feel obligated to point out where I think we have to improve.

Clearly, emotions will get the better of us and we will say things in ways that may not be the most constructive. But I would hazard to guess that the motives of most of the negative posters on this board is to improve the program.

This is a board where Tech supporters can cheer, learn, provide insight, and yes, gripe about what we preceive to be problems with the program.

If you are in a church that is failing to adhere to Word of God, do you continue to blindly support it? The Bible never teaches to refrain from judging others. Indeed, the Bible commands us to judge others unto righteousness.

For the record, I have never called for CG's head. But you people have to understand that when you gather a group of people that are passionate about anything, you're going to have naysayers, especially when things are not going the way it's supposed to. See, e.g., the bama boards.

Should some of us tone down our rhetoric? Yes. But should some of us get off their high horse and understand that angry fans will share their views with other Tech fans? Equally yes.

Not withstanding the group of trolls that should be muffled, I think this is healthy.

Let's learn to get along, folks.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thank you for this OUTSTANDING post! You have addressed 'the fan' in ALL OF US!
smile.gif

Hey Jack-it: I will compare my kids with you any day of the week and twice on Sunday: One is in Social work (highly placed with the responsiblility of seeing that foster children get the greatest break/treatment, 2nd is on a Church Staff in Macon, Georgia,with two services each Sunday of about 500 each service; 3rd is a HigH School English teacher as one of the most prestigious schools in Macon: Ipso, facto: you don't want to got there. Or if you do; let's get it on somewhere else.

I appreciate your words. Also, however, I must add that I am sick and tired. I have fought for what is right and decent for many months now

Please do not tell me what is healthy. I know what is unhealthy and the crap that has gone on ramificated by this board for months now is: Unhealthy. Forgive me, I appreciate what you have to say about what is best, etc. But I have been in the battle for some time now and the negativity that has prevailed on this board has produced: loss, hopelessness, questions, doubt, fear, and many, many more things that are negative. It to me has passed the point of tolerandce. I look on at least 35 other boards a day and this board in comparison (re: support for the college program) is pathetic. If anyone disagrees, then read the boards as I have: otherwise clam up and get with the program.....Some who contribute to this board are wet behind the ears; others are just plain stupid, dumb, and no matter what: they will never change.
Otherwise: Catch up or Shut up!!!!!!!

Originally posted by techsamillion:
Hey Jack-it: I will compare my kids with you any day of the week and twice on Sunday: One is in Social work (highly placed with the responsiblility of seeing that foster children get the greatest break/treatment, 2nd is on a Church Staff in Macon, Georgia,with two services each Sunday of about 500 each service; 3rd is a HigH School English teacher as one of the most prestigious schools in Macon: Ipso, facto: you don't want to got there. Or if you do; let's get it on somewhere else.

I appreciate your words. Also, however, I must add that I am sick and tired. I have fought for what is right and decent for many months now

Please do not tell me what is healthy. I know what is unhealthy and the crap that has gone on ramificated by this board for months now is: Unhealthy. Forgive me, I appreciate what you have to say about what is best, etc. But I have been in the battle for some time now and the negativity that has prevailed on this board has produced: loss, hopelessness, questions, doubt, fear, and many, many more things that are negative. It to me has passed the point of tolerandce. I look on at least 35 other boards a day and this board in comparison (re: support for the college program) is pathetic. If anyone disagrees, then read the boards as I have: otherwise clam up and get with the program.....Some who contribute to this board are wet behind the ears; others are just plain stupid, dumb, and no matter what: they will never change.
Otherwise:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Techs, I meant no attack to you or your parenting skills. I merely meant it as an analogy.

I can empathize with your frustration with the constant negativity on this board. If you check my past posts, I too have tried my best to try to stop it where I thought it was unwarranted. But perhaps your frustration has made you too sensitive.

I can only tell you that I am frustrated with some of the things I saw on and off the field this Thursday. I want to be able to rant with other people who will know what I'm talking about and where I'm coming from. I get even more frustrated when other people question my motivations instead of refuting my comments or answering my questions.

Agreed Jack-it; please forgive my over sensivities. Thank you for you understanding. Iam in these day on edge and hypersensitive. I will try to do better. God bless you. Please, again forgive me.

No forgiveness necessary, but if you want it I will gladly give it.

I too will try to tone it down for those of us who are more sensitive than others.

Originally posted by Jack_it:

I too will try to tone it down for those of us who are more sensitive than others.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bobbydoddsghost, for instance. Very sensitive fellow.

"Being honest may hurt people sometimes,
but being less than honest hurts them
all the time."

EDWIII

sing it with me.............

all we need is love ............. (whomp whomp whomp whomp wah)

all we need is love, love. Love is all we need!

pat.gif

Originally posted by 2 Big Techsticles:
sing it with me.............

all we need is love, love. Love is all we need!

pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">2BT,

Don't think Elvis would like you leading a Beatles song on Stingtalk.

Let's ask him.
laugh.gif

you said:

"Some of you have some traumatic emotional issues that you knowingly or unknowingly (sub-consciously) deal with. It may be where you are in life, it may be your present set of problems, it may be that you yourself have just always been uncomfortable with anyone else's success and happy with another's difficulties."

i didnt even bother reading most of what you said, but the fact that you went through the time and effort of thinking up and writing all that stuff just because you dont agree with what a bunch of people say about a football coach (freedom of speech) on a little internet message board shows that someone else may also have some emotional issues.

Back