Is anyone as excited...

GTFish

Varsity Lurker
about our D like I am. Im still not sure why people are questioning our Dline. This may be the heart and soul of the team. Go to practice and you notice the most exciting players to watch are Icky, T Parker, Anoai, and Wrotto. The ends are quick and both are built with V12 engines. Both Wrotto and Anoai come to practice everyday pissed off and put marks on our OL early and often. Our secondary makes me want to cry. Houston on one side with K Scott on the other. I promise you guys K Scott is what we have been looking for in a shutdown CB. I dont even need to say anything about Dawan and Butler. Linebackers are somewhat questionable, but Reis is proven as a competitor and the others will develop. The main component to this puzzle is the man himself. Everyone better recognize that we have one of the top D coordinators in all the land. Tenuta will have this group ready. Now add the incoming freshmen. Things will be exciting this Fall.

This same Dline..

This same Dline that you mention in your post was part of a team that gave up 124 points over the last 4 games of the regular season, and that was with 3 very good LBs behind them that have now graduated. The Dline was the main reason for that collapse.

The Dline will be better this year, but they will have to be just to make up for the loss of Smith, Fox and Brown.

31 ppg over the last 1/3 of the season causes me concern.

Tenuta is a very good coach who did a lot with very little, but opposing coaches figured it out as the season went on.

This D may be very good, but I agree with Techfowl that it is more likely to be good later rather than earlier. I just hope that it is in 2004 and that we don't have to wait until 2005.

Be Not Troubled

The defense wore down last year. The line was young and small and thin.

The defensive line will be bigger and older with good young depth that will allow us to set up a good rotation. The schemes will change to take advantage of new strengths while masking new weaknesses.

Our defense will be fine.

I worry that our offense will not be able to keep up the point production it achieved in the bowl game.

Re: This same Dline..

[ QUOTE ]
Tenuta is a very good coach who did a lot with very little, but opposing coaches figured it out as the season went on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Tenuta is a very good coach and I think he did a great job with what he had. I don't agree that so much of our problem was other coaches figuring out what we were doing so much as that by the 2nd half of the season our guys were so nicked up and banged up (but still playing despite those little injuries you don't hear about) that we literally COULD NOT run many of the things we had been doing earlier in the year.

In watching some of the games over again it was pretty clear that some of the guys were a step slower or had less mobility than earlier in the season and that we were much less aggressive in certain situations because of that lack of speed or athleticism.

However, I am concerned with the unknowns next year. I feel pretty comfortable that we have some good athletes but we've definitely got some issues to deal with, one of which is depth in certain areas of the defense.

But that's just another opinion, no more right or wrong than any other :)

we had NO ball control!

you have to be able to sustain drives to keep the other team's offense off the field. Reggie's youth was a killer in this area. Our offense will be MUCH better this year. Reggie will be a threat with the "shotgun" which will tie up a LB as a spy. PJ is faster (lost some weight) and woods has some nice moves.

We will know after Clem's son game.

I Still Don\'t Think We Will Match The Offense

of our last bowl. I think we will be sorely pressed to average even 50 points a game!

But you may be right.

Clemson ALWAYS seems to be a barometer

Doesn't it. I just don't want for the team to look up after the Clemson game and realize that they'd better get their act together and QUICK or the season could take a turn for the worse. I think we'll be in better shape in this regard this year as opposed to last since the Clemson game will just be game number two.

I DO hope that we've got more depth on the D side of the ball than we did last year and as Techfowl so eloquently stated, we should get better with every game. Of course we'll STILL be suffering from flunkgate so injuries NEED to be kept at a minimum.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blue.gif

Do the math

[ QUOTE ]
I think we will be sorely pressed to average even 50 points a game!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as we averaged 17 points per game last season, I doubt seriously we will average more than 24-30 PPG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

Go JAckets

[ QUOTE ]
Linebackers are somewhat questionable,

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the D is looking up and should be one of our greatest areas to support. We are sitting on the verge of GREAT DEFENSE, linebacking corp included.

If you judge our future potential by what we've just recently lost then you are behind the eight ball. Our LB corp is strong, mostly young and waiting for their first press clippings. We lost a bunch but greatness presses forward and I feel we've yet to see the best linebacking corp on the flats. No way the linebacking diminishes.

Developing...

Back