Is Gailey's light bulb going on?

Wrecked

Varsity Lurker
Is Gailey\'s light bulb going on?

After reading today's birdliner (AJC) article, I believe Gailey is getting the idea that he better get control of his program and not trust Dave Braine. If the article is accurate, I really don't see how he can be blamed for what happened given that he tried to intervene in January but was told to butt out. I owe him an apology. However, the course of events does solidify in my mind the need for Carol Moore and Dave Braine to hit the unemployment line. I am tired of hearing "there is nothing else we could have done."

Re: Is Gailey\'s light bulb going on?

you owe him an apology for coaching such a piss poor game against UGA and throughout the season? you owe him an apology for losing to a Fresno we-lost-eight-starters-the-week-before-our-game State? Give me a break...

I don't know why people are so impressed with Gailey's statement. He did not give any specific actions he would take. He basically said "I will do the best I can". Could he have said less? I don't think so. What really counts now is what the PLAYERS think of Gailey. If they lose confidence in his leadership, then it is over. We cannot afford to waste this season to "give him one more chance", or because "it would not be fair to get rid of a cach after only 1 season" Maybe it wasn't fair of Notre Dame to ax O'Leary after 5 days. You do what you have to do to save the program. Damn what people say about it.

AMEN! You said it well.

There is an ever-recurring difficulty: We get enthralled with the sight of the forest and then miss sight of the trees. I must go back again and again to the truth that always will
stand: “A coach is only as good as his assistants.” A team will never rise above the
ability of the assistant coaches to coach. We have yet to see what Chan Gailey can do in
preparation for and during a game with this present coaching staff. Admit it or not, there were serious staff problems last year. It does not matter who you bring in at this time: he cannot be any better than his assistants. Please remember that we have a different coaching staff this year, and at least give them a fighting chance.

Some of you more shallow thinkers will not undrstand this.
rolleyes.gif

techs... your logic is dubious.. We should wait to criticize gailey 'cause he has new assistants? Based on that logic, an unsuccessful coach could immediately change assistants at the end of the year and say, "you can't criticize me now, I've got new asistants and you have to wait until after next year before assessing my results"... Not even a kleptomaniac would buy that...

Arise out of the wading pool of thought my son...

Hey, you have a point, but I stick by mine also.
"Dubious"???? I honestly think not, re, relativism pertaining to past ongoing performances not only in college but professional ball.........To each his own....Now read what I said slowly, and without bias (if possible). Thank you.

All I say, dear Tech brethren is "hide and watch".....get back in touch with me at the end of the day. Blessings on all who truly pull for the Yellow Jackets and who have done so deep into the past.

There is more here than just poor assistants...
As I see it most college head coaches (no matter where the program) are initially hired to JUST coach football and recruit... especially in successful programs...
The AD's attitude is... 'we'll handle all the "superficial" business i.e. ticket sales, scholastics, alumni, press as long as you (the new Head Coach) just go out there and win...'
With this being said , (in my humble and uninformed opinion).... I think that it is really the AD that is to blame for the current situation...
I'm no X's and O's guy... so I can't find any fault in Gailey's onfield coaching... especially since I do believe that "his" coaches weren't all in place...
I do find fault in many off field scenarios some are the responsibility of the Head Coach but ALL are surely the responsibility of the AD...
Sometimes it's the leadership that has installed flawed systems, check and balances, and fall assistants... the current academic problems point directly at Braine (and Moore) and their seizure of control over all things academic... this must be changed because Gailey is being judged, in my opinion unfairly, for things which he had little or no control over...
This being said... I wish that the AD would be more forth coming on changes in policies concerning academics or recruiting...
BECAUSE when change occurs it causes strife... the more forewarned a support system is i.e. the GT fans and alumni, about change the more tolerant they would be of it when it occurs... sure there will be disgruntled loyalists when the announcements are made but ultimately they will be more supportive if they are informed and are able to prepare for the impending changes when they do ultimately occur...

Tech's too demanding academically to not have your coach be in the loop, a part of the loop, the whole loop and nothing but the loop!!!!!

Thank you Casbah, very timely remarks and well thought out also. Much unlike mine and some of those before and aft
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

I've heard it all now. We blame the assitants, not the Head Coach. You must be a democrat.

No sir, you are the spin artist.

Back