is it just me - or did VT get an extra down on

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
that first series ?

The first play went for two yards - with a facemask at the end of the play - so they tacked on 5 yds, giving VT what should have been 2nd and 3.....They ran and lost a yard - then on 3rd down didn;t get the first either

I'm jazzed thinking they have to punt - then they line up in their normal positions (ie not punting) and Tech is offsides - result - 1st down VT

On that first play - they LOSE the down don't they ?????? Because the 5 yds were tacked on to the end of the play.

What am I missing here ? Did anybody else note this ?

Actually, it didn't negate the play. They got the run yardage and the penalty yardage. Then because of the penalty it's still first down. It's kind of the same as offensive holding past the line of scrimmage except in the other direction. If you hold 5 yards downfield on first down, they penalize you from the spot of the foul and it's still the same down (i.e. first and fifteen).

I've never noticed a team keeping the down - after a facemask penality...Never - and I would think I would have noticed that after all these years (?)

I can understand a 5 yard penality from the LOS - and not losing the down - but to get the distance - the penalty AND still be in first down ?

Thats a first for me - I can't believe I'm wrong about this but maybe so

They had 1st and 3 after the penalty. Major facemask is an automatic first I think, the minor one repeats down with yardage marked off.

Let's carry my example a step further. Can you believe that if the offense gains thirty yards, but held 18 yards downfield, that the result will be first down and two yards to go?

Not sure and I don't feel like looking the rule up. But I think penalties are marked from the spot now so that could be right.

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure and I don't feel like looking the rule up. But I think penalties are marked from the spot now so that could be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

per the NCAA rules book, penatlies are marked from the spot, but you don't get a replay of the down.

Back