Is Josh Pastner really better than Brian Gregory?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by helluvaparamedic, Feb 13, 2019.

?

Who's better....Pastner or Gregory?

Poll closed Yesterday at 9:33 PM.
  1. Pastner

29.7%
  2. Gregory

5.0%
  3. They both suck.

65.3%
  1. helluvaparamedic

helluvaparamedic Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Fayetteville, GA (formerly Warner Robins)
    Team:
    Georgia Tech...who else?
    Tech basketball post C.T.O.

2. MeatWrench

MeatWrench Holder of all Moon records

Loc:
    Marietta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yes. What an awful thread.

• Like Like x 1
  3. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I voted they both suck, but I feel bad about it.

4. 00Burdell

00Burdell Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Parts unknown
    Team:
    Georgia Tech and whoever is playing Ugag
    I'm sorry, who are these people?

5. texstinger

texstinger Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    CJP has got to get some players in the program. The lack of recruiting success is the most startling thing to me .

He just said that we are close, and that we are going to break through THIS year! I think there are 6 regular season games left.

We shall see.

6. BuckNasty

BuckNasty Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia ööööing Tech
    That is what I was thinking, we can keep flipping coaches until the end of time but we need a few great recruits. That dog öööö Georgia program got a five star. They play in a glorified ööööing barn.

This isn't football, one or two could change the trajectory entirely.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 77GTFan

77GTFan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Josh brought nice energy to the program and he has an assistant coach who does a nice job coaching big men. The NIT run in year one was better than any moments in the Gregory regime. But, the unfortunate Arizona trip turned things around. His recruiting is a clear F for an ACC program. The energy is gone. The kids seemed to really enjoy playing together in that first year. That joy is now long gone. I just don’t see it changing.

I still believe the overall decline in our program since the mid eighties through the nineties is due primarily to conference expansion. When there were eight or nine teams in the ACC and there was a certain number of great players who wanted to play in the league, we were a nationally significant program. Every ACC team was, although we were ahead of Wake, Clemson, FSU, State and UVA for most of that period. Now we have added six schools, three of them with excellent basketball traditions. The hill is steeper to climb.

But, a good coach who works hard at recruiting and player development should have us like Virginia Tech, FSU, State, Miami, BC, Clemson - some down years, but some good years with NCAA teams. Gregory and Pastner have failed to compete at that level. UVA shows that with right hire you can go from the bottom to the top in a few seasons. But, you have to show early momentum with a new program. I believe that window for momentum has closed for Josh.

8. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Geez. Pastner is better and it isn’t even close. He’s gonna pull a couple great players in soon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Salter21

Salter21 Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Cumming
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    hahaha keep telling yourself that

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  10. 79tech

79tech Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    atlanta
    Team:
    ga tech
    I don't like being mean but the word "suck" is appropriate here because Pastner was an absolutely "SUCKER" for letting Bell be involved with the program in any way. That was obviously a bad idea and affected the team through suspensions as well as recruiting efforts. I have little sympathy for this transgression - sorry. Goofy is as goofy does.

11. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I can appreciate the sentiment that it possibly showed a lack of judgment, but we don’t really know all the facts.

It appears Bell is a compulsive liar, and a pretty good one at that. I can certainly understand Pastner thinking he got Bell through a rough spot and that Bell was otherwise a good guy.

Looking at it through the lens of virtue is just as important as looking at it through the lens of cynical. Hindsight is 20/20. We’ve all had business/friends/social relationships that have turned sour, and only after the fact did we realize it probably wasn’t good to be in a relationship with that person at all. Seriously, how many folks do you know that are in a bad marriage? Does it show lapse of judgment? Maybe. Should they be fired for it? Probably not.

12. Skydog

Skydog Eat a Peach

Loc:
    Canton, Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I try to keep an open mind .. but isn't CJP saying it's a 5 year plan? Then last week he said "we are one stud away." To me that does not jive.

13. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He’s always energetic and positive. At the same time, we aren’t winning and the reasons have to be explained. The fact is: we are one or two players away from being a really good team. We need to give him the time to try and get them.

14. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Seems reasonable to me. We seem to have a decent base with good defense but we dont have the superstar go to guy that makes a slight loss a slight win. Its not like these top 25 NCAA bound teams are blowing us out weekinweekout.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Skydog

Skydog Eat a Peach

Loc:
    Canton, Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I don't have a problem with being patient .. give him 2 more years and see what happens. He wasn't my favorite hire but that does not mean he's a bad hire.

16. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Agreed. I like him, but he’s gotta get some big time players in, and he knows that. I do think he’s built some depth. He just really wishes he had landed one or two of those high ranked recruits and we all do too.

17. Graybeard Jacket

Graybeard Jacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Stockbridge, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Tony Bennett won 21 ACC games in his first three years and Pastner is at 17 with 6 games left to play. with 3 of those games with teams with the same amount of wins that we have. 6 of our 9 losses are against teams currently in the Top 25. There is not a lot of difference on where we are today vs. UVA in Bennett's third season.

• Like Like x 2
  18. GT98

GT98 Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    parts unknown
    How much time (ignoring the reality of his contract for a moment)? By year 3, you can turnaround a bball program (see UVA, VT recently, and even Ugag has enthusiasm for the immediate future). Outside of some (fortunate) transfers, he hasn't been able to bring in anyone that can propel the team into the upper half of the conference. I'm curious as to what you think he or his staff will do that they have failed to do thus far. I admittedly don't follow recruiting that closely, so let me know so I can share your optimism.

At this point, I think that he is only here next season (and likely the one after) due to the horrific contract situation left from the previous 2 AD's with the Hewitt/Gregory buyouts.

19. taxjacket

taxjacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    You sure about that?
    upload_2019-2-14_16-3-18.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, especially the 3 year turnaround statement. The reason we've been brainwashed by the "5 year" plan talk is due to the financial limitations that have been imposed on the basketball program due to mismanagement of contract terms on our part. On top of that, availability of prospective coaching candidates were very limited IIRC. If the end of the "5 year plan" doesn't have a greater than above average positive stamp on it, it'll be time to cut ties and go find a basketball coach.

• Like Like x 1