Is Josh Pastner really better than Brian Gregory?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by helluvaparamedic, Feb 13, 2019.

?

Who's better....Pastner or Gregory?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2019.
  1. Pastner

29.7%
  2. Gregory

5.0%
  3. They both suck.

65.3%
  1. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Sad and funny.

I would guess (and that’s all it is) that JP is getting used to recruiting in the ACC and at GT. I would think it’d be easier to do these at GT than Memphis but I don’t know. My other guess would be:

I have no doubt the accusations and losing an assistant took JP’s focus and energy away from recruiting, and it probably hurt us gaining the trust of some of the recruits parents. But I’d like to give him a chance to get all that fixed and sorted out because he appears to be doing a pretty good job teaching the mechanics of basketball.

• Like Like x 1
  2. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    Lol. Memphis can take any and every available basketball player in the country, amateur or otherwise. Tech can maybe recruit 1/10 of that set.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ee8384

ee8384 Thread Slayer

Loc:
    Past the point of caring
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    If you were the parent of a 4*/5* recruit that had offers from multiple top 25 programs and you had some amount of influence over your child's selection, what would it take to convince you that the Ron Bell situation was 100% false? And unless you could be convinced it was 100% false, would you entrust your child and their potential future to CJP? Too easy to sign with a program and coach without that potential risk.

It's a lousy situation for CJP and Tech and I don't know how it can be resolved in the court of parental opinion.

4. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    We have all made mistakes trusting people that we shouldn’t. Bell is a mess quite certainly, but he is such a mess that any of us could have been duped. Tech investigated fully and we should support Pastner as he is our coach.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Well that's great, but we're not all the head of a basketball program in the best conference in the country tasked with appealing to high school kids and their parents. Life isn't always fair, certainly not in the world of recruiting. I think the idea that Paul Johnson's offense left players ill-prepared for the next level was mostly bogus, but it was absolutely used against us in recruiting. You either find ways to successfully combat that negative recruiting, overcome the talent differential through superior coaching, or you're out of a job before long.

Certain coaches can still have their pick of the litter despite off-court controversies, but those are coaches with histories of winning--Pearl, Pitino, etc. Pastner does not have that, and here we are staring at a 3-15/4-14 season in-conference with no freshmen coming in next year. The harsh reality is that Memphis desperately wanted to get rid of Pastner but couldn't do so for financial reasons, and if we didn't come to their aid, he's most likely an assistant at Arizona or Kentucky right now, or maybe a head coach at a mid-major.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    It’s not exactly factual to say he did a poor job at Memphis. He won about 70% of his games and took them to the sweet 16 twice. If you wanted to nitpick, you could say his record went south went they changed conferences, but I don’t know the specifics of all that.

But your point is well taken. He’s got to get some stars in here. If Paul Hewitt taught us anything, it’s that we can recruit good players to Tech. Here’s hoping Pastner overcomes whatever obstacles are there and gets the players we need, because he’ll do a hell of a job coaching them.

I really hope and believe Pastner can be the next phenomenal coach.

7. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, and Key was fired by Alabama (wink). I don’t know how the Bell incident affected Pastner recent recruiting; I believe our lack of success was more related to the Labarrie incident.
    I coached about 2000 games in my life including a few years of AAU basketball. We did pretty well and we were able to play against the #1 team in the country. I don’t claim to know much more than the next guy but I have a good feeling about Pastner. I want to watch; I can’t always say that with Hewitt and Gregory.
    We could really use one good athlete on this team. Otherwise we are pretty young. We are the Tech of today and like ND, Pitt, and BC, we don’t have the ability to change our basketball team quickly any more.
    So the process is going to take some time and a lot of patience. Meanwhile I watch what is happening on the floor. We already have a one time ACC coach of the year. We clearly are teaching up bigs. We have invented our own defense that is driving schools crazy but for injury and a shooting slump where we have had to use poor defenders more. I have seen a lot worse over the years. I would like to see a few more with Pastner and crew.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He got them to the second round twice, not the sweet 16. He's never been to the sweet 16 as a head coach. Calipari was the coach when Memphis was annually making it to the sweet 16.

You're right that things started really going downhill after changing conferences, but that's because they were previously in C-USA where they had significantly more talent than every other team in the league. I don't think he's a bad coach, but I haven't seen anything that screams "phenomenal." It's a moot point with our talent level, as not even Coach K could work magic with what we have.

9. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yeah, my bad. That’s right. The round of 32. Not to get off subject, but damn, with the players he’s got, coach k shouldn’t lose a game.

10. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    Interestingly Duke is in trouble if their PG doesn’t get healthy. Just like Jose with us, mark my words, Duke is loaded with talent but is at much higher risk if the PG does not get back to form.

11. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Hewitt also won ACC coach of the year in his first year as coach, and he made the tournament that year coming off a losing season in Cremins' last year.

12. GT98

GT98 Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    parts unknown
    Given the contract situation, Pastner is here for 1, maybe 2 more years. Ron Bell or not, utterly baffling that he hasn't been able to recruit an upper echelon player to GT.

While I do agree with others pointing out the his coaching has been pretty good at times, it won't matter he doesn't bring in more talent and quickly. You won't be outcoaching many teams in the ACC and given bottom of the league talent level, it's not a good recipe for success. Given that he was unable to recruit anyone for next season, I would expect more of the same--bottom of the league finish next season and GT moving on soon after that.

13. rghoae

rghoae Flats Noob

Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I'd say Brian Gregory, who wasn't a GT caliber coach under normal circumstances, deserves a little credit. He came and did exactly what Tech needed him to do. Take a reasonable salary that would help us get beyond the Hewitt contract, see us through the mess that was the AMC rebuild year with no home court, and keep the off the field reputation of the team intact so when we got our next coach they wouldnt be starting at a terrible disadvantage. He did all of that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Yeah, if he could've only done the x-o part.

15. cincyjacket

cincyjacket Dodd-Like

Pastner hasn't shown that he is better than Gregory. Time will tell.

16. jacket67

jacket67 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Tech Motel
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    If it makes anyone feel better, the coach we wanted (Bryce Drew) has now lost 14 games in a row with Vanderbilt, setting a losing streak record for the program.

17. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    We should even up swap. Today. I'm f***in' serious.

18. TechN9ne

TechN9ne Walk-on Alum

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    In Drew's defense, he does seem to be recruiting well. This year, his 5-star freshman point guard went down with a season ending injury pretty early on. Drew also has two 4-star recruits on the way next season for whatever that's worth.

19. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Bell's ties were to Pastner not Georgia Tech. Pastner has a responsibility to perform due diligence on boosters attempting to latch on to our program and to be especially suspicious of boosters who have no long term ties to the program. I can not imagine a scenario where a coach should allow his players to vacation at the home of any booster. I am sure Pastner did nothing illegal but he made a series of decisions that show an amazing lack of common sense. I am concerned that this may be a recurring issue. I would think the parents of recruits would have the same concern.

20. Graybeard Jacket

Graybeard Jacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Stockbridge, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I agree with how you see the play on the floor. I wonder where this team would be if Okogie hadn't left.