Is Josh Pastner really better than Brian Gregory?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by helluvaparamedic, Feb 13, 2019.

?

Who's better....Pastner or Gregory?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2019.
  1. Pastner

29.7%
  2. Gregory

5.0%
  3. They both suck.

65.3%
  1. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    This is the type of thing I was referring to in the imminent coach search thread. Drew's progression can't be diminished do to an unfortunate circumstance such as his point guard going down, as we know that college basketball is a guard driven league. It appears obvious that the guy can recruit, so half of the "coaching requirement" has been met. Now if he can turn the good recruiting into winning, then he will have met the criteria that i would be looking for if i were on a hiring committee for a head basketball coach.

2. killerB

killerB Sidewalk Fan

Loc:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    This is gonna suck to hear, but imo, we win: Northwestern, St. John's, Gardner-Webb, VT, FSU. The other losses likely remain losses. Maybe one of the Clemson games goes differently.

Not sure we get the win, but that Duke game was ripe for the taking. The shot poorly. JO might've slowed that second half streak and added a streak of his own. The other games I mentioned above were close and would've been nice to have the ball in his hands down the stretch to take over and score...and shut down opponent scorer defensively.

Edit to add future game outlook: Win 4/5. Lose to Virginia.

3. Graybeard Jacket

Graybeard Jacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Stockbridge, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I think that is conservative. If JO logs 35 minutes a night, that gets Moore, Wright, Cole etc.. off the floor, which certainly makes for a more consistent group playing. I can see potential in those guys, but they're not ready for big ACC minutes.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. originalwombat

originalwombat Flats Noob

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The last "really good team" we had - besides 2004 - was in 1996. The two best players were Marbury and Harpring. The next three Barry, Maddox, and Elisma. I'm sure we have an "Elisma" on the team, but do we have two as good as Barry and Maddox?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. 76tornados

76tornados Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Shore, TN
    Team:
    Ramblin Wreck
    Bennett was recruiting well in that 3 years.

6. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He does deserve a little credit. But all coaches are hired to win.

7. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Drew gets credit for unexpected injuries, but Pastner doesn't get credit for developing players so fast they go pro ahead of schedule?

• Like Like x 1
  8. rghoae

rghoae Flats Noob

Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    True. Don’t get me wrong. I was in no way a supporter of Gregory as Tech HC (I thought the extension we gave him was completely unnecessary).

I do think when comparing Pastner and Gregory, the fact that Gregory ran a clean program with not even the slightest hint of impropriety is a major point in his favor. And I will appreciate him doing a good job of steering Tech fairly well when we didn’t have a home court, in his first season itself. Strangely enough, he has also outreceuited Pastner so far.

9. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    So I have been pretty down on Pastner lately and there is no question that his recruiting has left a lot to be desired. But, if you look at next year, we will have 4 guys who were 4 star recruits coming out of HS, all with experience.

Jose Alvarado - 4 stars - # 130 nationally
    Mike Devoe - 4 stars - # 45 nationally
    James Banks - 4 stars - # 83 nationally
    Jordan Usher - 4 stars - # 114 nationally

Obviously, we need more Devoe's, but that should be a very competitive lineup next year.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Vespidie

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that CJPs ability to develop players was the reason for any early departures. Time will tell, and I hope that I am wrong.

11. madRazor

madRazor Flats Noob

Loc:
    NC
    Team:
    GT
    And as for the 5th spot in your lineup, KS should have been getting WAY more minutes earlier this season. Maybe Pastner actually fooled himself into thinking he could do a "win now" thing this year?

I really believe KS has the highest ceiling of anyone on the team, and needed this whole year to adjust to the level of competition and speed of play. We've already begun to see it help Devoe, and a lot of the dumb öööö KS does is the exact type of öööö Devoe was doing a lot earlier (and a little less now). KS is taller, quicker, better handle, just as good a shooter as CH, and IF he continues to get more experience and lots of playing time, and adds like 10 pounds muscle this summer, maybe a little more the following year, no joke, he'll be our best player by year 3. (Unless we start hitting 5* on cruitin lol... ) Or he could fizzle.

But the point is, he needs to play the whole game. Wright too for that matter. No more AD, no more Alston, why bother? We aren't going to be winning much with those seniors playing anyway, even though at times AD is our only offense, so why not get a jump on developing some of the raw talent, getting them used to the game at this level. Should have been doing it all year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I dunno – Okogie was unranked by ESPN coming out of HS and turned into a first-round pick in just two seasons. Seems churlish not to credit the people coaching him for some part of that improvement. It's not that he just hit a growth spurt or something.

13. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Hindsight is 20-20. You sit seniors from day 1 you might lose the team for good. I think we started playing for next year at the right time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vespidie

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    That may be true, but things could have been much different with a guy in the lineup earlier that was a bonafide jump shooter.

15. helluvaparamedic

helluvaparamedic Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Fayetteville, GA (formerly Warner Robins)
    Team:
    Georgia Tech...who else?
    But are Pastner and his assistants coaching these guys up? I don't think I have seen any offensive rebounds from our guys this season. I have not watched much this season, but when I have there doesn't seem to be much hustle when we miss the initial shot

16. AlaGold

AlaGold Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Huntsville,Al
    The problem is NONE will be herewhen the next coach comes in--and not much else

17. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The problem for next season is we will have less size and less depth than we had this season barring a last minute infusion of talent.

By the way, what happened to Phillips? I thought he would contribute significantly this season based on his performance at Tennessee. He started 13 games for the Vols in 16-17.

18. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Philosophically it might be that we focus of defense more than offense, even off an offensive miss.

I believe that is what you are seeing here. They hustle back. Opponents may outrebound us badly on our offensive glass but they dont get many breakaway easy baskets.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vespidie

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    That's because we are such a great shooting team , that everyone stands around assuming the shot is going to drop. By the time they realize it's off the mark they are out of position to get a rebound, so they get back quicker to play on the defensive end.

20. ElCidBUZZingFAN

ElCidBUZZingFAN Dodd-Like

Loc:
    My house
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    • Like Like x 1