Is Syracuse the biggest game of Brent Key's tenure at Georgia Tech?

Yea. That and not getting totally pasted by an all time great Georgia team when we were playing QB 3/4.

Under-rated take here that I completely agree with. Last year’s performance is Athens remains one of the more impressive games of Key’s short tenure for me. Im under no delusions that that will have any bearing on this years game, but I actually have a reason to have a little optimism versus the last regime who punted the ball in field goal territory.

Under-rated take here that I completely agree with. Last year’s performance is Athens remains one of the more impressive games of Key’s short tenure for me. Im under no delusions that that will have any bearing on this years game, but I actually have a reason to have a little optimism versus the last regime who punted the ball in field goal territory.

I still have nightmares about that dropped pass...

This is an important game because it determines whether we go from being a losing team to being a bowl team. But, it won't be easy. I watched the Syracuse coach's press conference, and they are in the same position we're in. I think this game is a toss up. It will be disappointing if we lose, but Coach Key has built up a lot of good will in my opinion. I suppose that if we lose one sided games to both Syracuse and Georgia, he might be more inclined to make staff changes. It also would make his and the AD's job harder. But, it would just be another disappointing season for Tech fans. I don't remember what it felt like to have any other kind of off season. But, I like Key. The team looks better than it ever did under Coach Collins. I'd just be happy if Key and his staff and players got to experience being a bowl team. Plus, I feel like we really have a chance of beating Georgia.

Bryce hit the nail on the head. Win tomorrow and we go into a new season of Tech football. Lose, and it's back into the pit of misery we keep trying to dig ourselves out of. It's a HUGE FREAKING GAME!
+1. I think @GT98 and others would agree.

This could be similar to Maryland in 1997. Nobody really remembers that game, but Tech was 5-4 with a top 15 UGAg looming. Hadn't been to a bowl since '91.

Tech went out with a soph. QB (Joe Hamilton) who had many ups and downs in '97 and won going away against a bottom-feeding ACC team. That team parlayed that into what should have been a UGag win the next week, a bowl win vs a solid WV team, and a 10-win season in '98.

+1. I think @GT98 and others would agree.

This could be similar to Maryland in 1997. Nobody really remembers that game, but Tech was 5-4 with a top 15 UGAg looming. Hadn't been to a bowl since '91.

Tech went out with a soph. QB (Joe Hamilton) who had many ups and downs in '97 and won going away against a bottom-feeding ACC team. That team parlayed that into what should have been a UGag win the next week, a bowl win vs a solid WV team, and a 10-win season in '98.
I remember, was in the upper north.

I think you're really overestimating the impact of this game.

Regarding defining Key's tenure, he will be here for another two years at minimum. There's no way that one game against Syracuse in his first season where the prize is a mediocre bowl will define his career here.

Regarding season ticket sales, I am really skeptical that winning one additional game and going to a mediocre bowl will drive a lot of sales. Sure, maybe it will influence some people, but it's not going to be the difference between 20k season ticket sales and 25k season ticket sales. The biggest benefit will be the extra practice time.

The story of this season has been mostly written already: a mediocre team with a lot of inconsistency and some bright spots. It would be really nice if we could get this win and go to a bowl, and for me it will dictate whether I consider this particular season a success, but it won't have much infuence outside of that.

Completely disagree. Make a bowl and you’ll see some additional ticket sales. Make and WIN a bowl and you probably see twice that delta in ticket sales. But it starts here, because making a bowl starts here.

YES IT IS--(for all the above-stated reasons). Unfortunate to have this much pressure on one game.

This game is absolutely massive. We win we go to a bowl game and there is hype and fan interest for next season. We lose, no bowl game, we get smacked by UGA and just lost 3 straight to end the season and we will be thinking about how all we had to do was beat Syracuse and that’s all we will think about all off season. Possible career defining game for Key. Especially with Chadwell & Fritz winning 10 games at Liberty and Tulane. Remember the AD had both Jamey Chadwell and Willie Fritz up but the GT "Good Ole Boy" Boosters went with Key!!

Since this the AD has went all in on "Corporate Dollars" that way he will never be forced into a hire again.... Brent Key goes to a Bowl and win the bowl game and win the bowl game.... WOW Key will have proven the "Good Ole Boys" Boosters correct....

With a loss team goes 5-7 and it will be a miracle if they sell 30K in season tickets and man they will have to win 8 games to get back to 30K in season tickets...
If we lose to Syracuse, we’ll also be thinking about blowing home games vs Bowling Green and BC as keeping us out of a bowl. But if you lose to three teams like that, you don’t deserve a bowl game anyway.

Do we ever sell 30K season tix? Last number I vaguely remember from sometime in the CPJ era was something like 26K.

JRjr
2017 we sold out the 30K season tickets... We had 50K at the FCS game that year (Jax State)

Back