It is an unrealistic person that thinks an organization ...

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by GTCrew, Feb 12, 2019.

1. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    has unlimited ability to succeed. The GTAA is humans. They cannot do everything all at once at the level we want. Even the richest AAs cant do that.

The question you have to ask yourself is "where should basketball stand on our priority list right now?" The baseball team has been a dumpster fire for a decade. Nobody really cares as evidenced by zero movement. The basketball team is also, except we have made moves and have at least been righting the ship financially.

"Where does basketball stand, right now?" Would you be OK with diverting resources away from football right now or do you think the AA should be overwhelmingly focused on football?

My opinion is strong that we absolutely have to focus on football right now 100%. Money, resources, employees, attention, etc at the AA needs to be behind football. This is a critical time period (the next few years) where we need to get big recruits to win games and we need to win games to get big recruits.

Prior to Collins, I would've said the opposite. And have. Basketball should be easier to make the jump. And football can feed off basketball success.

But when we made the Collins move priorities undeniable became football. Football, football, football.

So I think most of us would honestly say we are ok with that priority list. And idiots who never got to the top of anything in their life will argue we can prioritize both without football suffering. That is simply not true at an elite level. Every organization has limited resources. GT is certainly no exception.

2. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Cognitive dissonance.

Answer the question.

4. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:

The answer is that most people are capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time.

There are plenty of boosters that would be willing to stroke a check or two if TS wants to make changes to basketball. Same as what happened with football.

• Like Like x 3
  5. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Who? I do not believe that we have a bunch of untapped boosters right now.

How much money would it take to right basketball?

6. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Football is the clear # 1, but you can't just let your other revenue sport twist in the wind and be a drain on your whole organization. We may well be stuck with Pastner for another year or two, but if you need to shake up his staff, find him an assistant coach that can recruit, you go do it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    False either/or. Our basketball facilities are top notch. We just have to get the players we want. Unless you’re saying that requires significant money, we ought to be able to succeed in basketball.

We’ve struck out on several players that had us on their short list. That sucks but it doesn’t mean we need to scrap the program or just accept mediocrity (or whatever we are).

We are rebuilding a team in the best basketball conference. It’s not easy but it’ll get done.

• Like Like x 2
  8. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Well I obviously don't know them by name, but I would hazard a guess that @18in32 hears things when he's rubbing elbows with the big money guys. Of course, he might just be the big money guy for all we know.

9. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    OK, so you don't have any clue that your central premise is reality based.

10. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    I know what I've heard from people that I trust. Just like I called CPJ leaving back in September or October.

11. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    How much money would it take to “right the ship” for our basketball team? Do you have any clue that your central premise is reality based?

12. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    I certainly agree with both you and smokey that it is not impossible, while noting the suggestions you make don't use any resources.

13. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    "How much money to right the ship" is not my central premise. It is an inquiry into the response that we have sideline donors.

14. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Have you seen our basketball faculties? They are very nice. Our arena is literally the best arena in the world. We are a couple 4 stars from being right where we want to be, and we have the facilities to bring them in.

I really think we just missed the money channels to the players. Evidently there was a lot of money being funneled to them through the apparel lines. We got in with Adidas at the same time their guys got busted by the fbi.

I seriously think we are recruiting in the rules, and that’s the only thing holding us back. But I don’t have any proof of that, other than other coaches are on tape asking for money to be paid to player A or player B. And these coaches are still there on the sidelines coaching, which is infuriating.

15. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I thought you were saying we don’t have the money to invest in basketball and football, and therefore, we need to choose which sport we invest in.

• Like Like x 1
  16. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:

What is your point exactly? In your OP, it sounded like you were making the case for basketball to twist in the wind while we get the football program fully developed. Then you seem to say that you agree with me that success in football and basketball are not mutually exclusive goals.

As an aside, I pointed out that there are donors that would pony up money for basketball that might not be all that interested in putting (additional?) money out for football. Believe it or not, we have a pretty strong core of SERIOUS basketball boosters. Some of which might not even care so much about football. Our success in the 80s is a large part of that.

17. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Dang, you beat me to the punch while I was typing mine out...

18. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    To right the ship in basketball, in my opinion, would take more than the donors buying out Pastner. It would take a concerted effort by the entire GTAA to fix problems both big and small. The presumption that they can "chew gum and walk" at the same time presumes that fixing football and fixing basketball have absolutely zero in common. That simply isnt true.

19. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I don't think we should divert any money from football to basketball. I am unclear on what additional spending could do for the basketball program, though. I mean, I know, ultimately money fixes everything, but I don't know what could specifically be done in the case of basketball, outside of a coaching change. It's a little more clear to me on the football side.

20. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Sounds like you know more than I do...

As for the question whether there are untapped boosters out there, of course there are some. But the bigger issue is generating excitement among the pre-existing donor base. You can't just ask people for money – you have to have a plan and vision, create a sense of purpose, show people how they are part of achieving that vision, etc. It's about persuasion, just like recruiting or any kind of sales. That's one of several reasons why capital improvements are easier to fund that buy-outs. What do you tell somebody if you're asking for extra cash to buy out a contract? "Can you give me a million so we can roll the dice on another one"?

• Like Like x 1