Its become clear to me that we must make a change.

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
I have seen absolutely no progress now over the CG tenure.

This UVA game reminded me a LOT of a game at UVA in the early 90's - when it the same thing became apparent...

I know many people who said they would await this year to form an opinion. I was one of them. With this year drawing to a close - its obvious - we need a change.

Maybe CG is an excellent coach under certian circumstances, but for whatever reason, things do not seem to be working out here at Tech. For some odd reason, its a mis-match and its not working out.

The fact that many Tech fans (for some odd reason, I believe its younger Tech fans) -seem to continue making excuses - ("its the players not the coach, its the QB not the coach, its flunkgate, not the coach, its academics not the coach...6-5 isn't bad...We'll be better next year...8 straight bowls." etc etc etc) has grown very old.

Every loser, whether its in business, sports etc - will ALWAYS have excuses which explains the inability to get the job done - every time. There seem to be more excuses this year than ever before - and NONE of these excuses seem to fall the coaches way....

Can you HONESTLY say Tech is making progress ?

If so, where ?

We have yet to develop QB play, despite having two highly recruited QBs in the system, neither who has worked out...

There has been no progress in the offense since CG walked into Atlanta.

I think he is a nice guy, and maybe even a great coach - but its not working out at Tech...

How do I know this ?

Because as stated - there has been NO PROGRESS, in fact in many ways there has been a regression....Additionally, we have obviously hit a ceiling...

If you are happy with 6-5, no progress, and an annual never-heard-of bowl on the west coast - then flame away

(PS, if you have only had 17 years on this planet, no offense, but please don't respond - I'm not interested in your opinion)

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen absolutely no progress now over the CG tenure.

This UVA game reminded me a LOT of a game at UVA in the early 90's - when it the same thing became apparent...

I know many people who said they would await this year to form an opinion. I was one of them. With this year drawing to a close - its obvious - we need a change.

Maybe CG is an excellent coach under certian circumstances, but for whatever reason, things do not seem to be working out here at Tech. For some odd reason, its a mis-match and its not working out.

The fact that many Tech fans (for some odd reason, I believe its younger Tech fans) -seem to continue making excuses - ("its the players not the coach, its the QB not the coach, its flunkgate, not the coach, its academics not the coach...6-5 isn't bad...We'll be better next year...8 straight bowls." etc etc etc) has grown very old.

Every loser, whether its in business, sports etc - will ALWAYS have excuses which explains the inability to get the job done - every time. There seem to be more excuses this year than ever before - and NONE of these excuses seem to fall the coaches way....

Can you HONESTLY say Tech is making progress ?

If so, where ?

We have yet to develop QB play, despite having two highly recruited QBs in the system, neither who has worked out...

There has been no progress in the offense since CG walked into Atlanta.

I think he is a nice guy, and maybe even a great coach - but its not working out at Tech...

How do I know this ?

Because as stated - there has been NO PROGRESS, in fact in many ways there has been a regression....Additionally, we have obviously hit a ceiling...

If you are happy with 6-5, no progress, and an annual never-heard-of bowl on the west coast - then flame away

(PS, if you have only had 17 years on this planet, no offense, but please don't respond - I'm not interested in your opinion)

[/ QUOTE ]
My posts from the past couple of days were that Gailey needs to do it now and there are no excuses, just as you have said. At Dallas, Jerry Jones asked him to get an OC and he refused, and was fired. Braine should at a minimum ask the same. Unfortunately, the GT base have allowed both to get away with a lot over the last few years that would not happen at most big time programs. You are right though. There are no excuses. I was extremely disappointed in our play yesterday. I wasnt surprised that we lost- which says it all at this stage of his era- but I was surprised at what a pathetic game plan there was (and I shouldnt be surprised at this stage). But nothings going to happen like getting an OC. If Gailey did that, he may be surprised, but he is obviously too set in his ways. I guess if Bennett is the man they think he is and starts next year, then everyone will say "give him a chance!" I will, if its with a new staff, otherwise the poor kid may not have a chance in this so-called offense.

Progress?

Four years ago, we were toe-to-toe with FSU edging closer and closer to competing with them on a relatively even level.

Today, we're still vieing to challenge the ACC Big Boys, but the entire landscape has changed. Today, the ACC Big Boys are Miami, FSU, Virginia and VT, and we're still competing for Also-Ran status with Clempson, Maryland (arguably stronger than us with 30 wins in the previous 3 years), NORTH CAROLINA (which seems to be making progress) and NC St. In the meantime, we've been whipped by Wake, Duke and UNC in the past 3 years, which hints strongly that we've fallen closer to their level.

Progress? On the Hive, they're advising that we can Reggie but keep Chan, as if Chan isn't responsible for the situation. Not only have Chan (and Nix)failed to bring the kid along, they also eliminated the kind of daily competition for the QB spot that would give Tech an OPTION to bench Reggie. IMO, that's even worse than failing with Reggie. Now we'll head into next year with the prospect of handing the job back to Reggie or a completely green kid with zero PT - so that we can start all over again (and also waste Reggie's 2 years of painful QB lessons). This is inexcusable for D-1 coaches.

Should Braine have to force Chan to hire a highly experienced OC? Is Chan the last person in the Tech community to comprehend this reality?

Progress? I have this sinking feeling that Tenuta will leave (escape) after the season. If I was Tenuta, I'd be wondering why Braine hasn't fired Chan and hired me (after the UGAG game). If JT goes, Tech may be bringin' up the rear in the ACC.

Progress? No. We've seriously regressed and the prospects are looking more bleak than ever.

Tech should have won or competed closely with UVA yesterday. Getting blown out was a clarion call (presuming another disaster in Athens) to make a HC change.

Hiring Tenuta keeps some continuity in the program and forces a radical (and radically positive) change on the offensive side of the ball for next season with a top OC.

Many more years of this crap with Chan will make the road back to prominence longer and harder.

The difference of opinion between GT fans over Gailey has nothing to do with fans liking Gailey and making excuses for him VS those who have seen enough of him and want him to be fired.

Most people, including me, understand that by getting rid of him now, we would shoot ourselves in the foot. Not that I think Gailey will be a good coach, I like you haven't seen any improvement and I don't know if he is capable. I've already said in posts earlier this week that I thought Gailey possessed all the tools to be a good coach, but is getting in his own way by trying to be a QB coach and an OC too.

But that is besides the point. The point is we are NOT Nebraska, we are NOT Florida. Our history proves that it is difficult to win here under the modern era of football. We don't have the track record to demand 8 win seasons. So by showing a coach the door after his third season when he had taken us to 3 bowl games and posted a winning record (although I agree with most everyone that the bowl games are a product of college football today and money)then what are we saying to all future coaches that would consider Coaching at Tech? If I was a young hot coach, I wouldn't thinktwice about saying "HELL NO" to GT.

Whether you like it or not, we are stuck with Gailey at least until next year and most likely the year after that. I don't necessarily mind because I can at least understand that Gailey has one hand tied behind his back with a terrible QB situation. Is he to blame for the QB making mistakes? That is another arguement, but right now he's our coach and the only thing we can do is support the team, whther you like the coach or not.

Trust me, the GTAA is not going to accept our attendance as our willingness to accept mediocrity. They have a very REAL problem on their hands and when the time comes to possibly better their product, they will do that if it means making a coaching change. There is already an attendance problem. The GTAA knows this. If Gailey keeps it up and it becomes worse, Braine won't have a choice but to release Chan.

BOR

I agree with the vast majority of what you are saying.

And I agree that he'll be here next season (not as sure about the following season - depending on what happens).

But I do believe there are up and coming coaches out there, who, for whatever reasons may have better success at Tech.

I actually LIKE Gailey a lot, and as you may have said weeks ago, BY FAR the best case scenario would ne for Chan to succeed...Unlike some others, I wanted him to succeed from day one - because he does represent a lot of what we like in a coach at Tech.

There are some young coaches out there who I believe are having success in worse circumstances than Chan. He has had adversity, but not insurmountable adversity. Again, the main problem I have is the complete and utter lack of progress...I just don't see that changing.

As far as shooting yourself in the foot - I agreed with that comment until now....Even though I agree it would be a set-back (making a change now or next year)- I finally now believe that ultimately it will give us success earlier (rather than waiting 2+ years for such change)- despite the set-back..... Its like finally deciding to go ahead and getting that tooth crowned - painful, but after short-term pain, its all better.

I hate to feel this way, but I just don't see things improving (The way things are now) to the extent that a new direction could improve things....

lets face it - we all reach a point in an "administration" where we feel it won't continue to improve..I think Gailey could have an 8-3 year every few years, but I honestly believe that we're set for 6-5, 7-4 years over and over.

Lets face it - the ACC is improving - the WHOLE ACC - and some teams are improving at an alarming rate - while we drift into lower part of the ACC with no apparent progress...

I just can't buy that Chan is as good as it gets here at Tech....I believe we can find someone thats innovative, aggressive, enthusiastic, etc...that can win here just like we're seeing Utah rise, Boise St rise, etc etc..There are coaches out there - young Steve Spurriers if you will - who I believe can succeed -

Re: Its become clear to me that we must make a cha

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to address this right quick, you're probably right about the 17 year olds, but most of them have only ever know Gailey and O'Leary, and they're probably pissed at the later for leaving Tech. Now I'm not saying that I'm the fountain of knowledge or a football genius or anything as I've only really gotten into the game during the last 6 or 7 of my 22 years, but all the guys I hang out with (almost all under 30, and then my dads buddies who are over 50) echo the things seen here on Stingtalk for the most part.

My group may be a little more football knowledgeable than average, but many of them have been dissapointed with CG and our performance for a couple years now and those who were defending him have all crossed over. I say all that to say this, most of the younger fans that I know are the most fired up about the way our program is heading and have been calling for a change, and those with them have been trying to make pushes in the AA. I will concide that there has been a blooming of a fatalistic attitude around the flats though, it wasn't here in 01 when I arrived, but damn if its not in full force now. The best season the seniors on campus have seen is 8-5, and its only been downhill since 2001. I'd say thats probably whats breeding the problem.

Not neccessarilly younger Tech fans, as some of us are looking forward to the return of hard nosed bourbon chugging snot knockin dominating southern football to the flats, its the fans who don't know to expect different that you're refering to.

Back