Jahmyr Gibbs…

MoverofFridge2

Helluva Engineer
Has got to touch the ball a minimum of 25 times on any Saturdays. Yesterday, he had 14 total touches including the one KO return. I don’t care how we scheme and game plan, but we need the ball in his hands more. I’m a Mason and Smith fan, but Gibbs is a difference maker when he gets the ball in his hands in the open field. Hopefully Saturday night he’ll get 25 touches. I may be wrong, but I see him as a difference maker against unc.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Definitely. Hopefully, he takes his coach's constructive criticism to heart and applies himself in practice this week.

UNC is no Clemson but they present a formidable challenge of a different sort. We will need to score like there is no tomorrow.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I don't like how he gets stopped at initial contact. He doesn't seem to have the strength or power to break a tackle.
Do you even watch the games because you don’t know what you are talking about.

All of our RBs are good at breaking tackles and making one guy miss. None of them beat 3 defenders that are in good position.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
From what I saw Clemson will lose to UNC. Their offense is one dimensional. UNC can put up points. We are going to have to score often next Saturday.

johncu

Dodd-Like
It was pretty obvious to me that Clemson made a concerted effort to take Jahmyr Gibbs out of the game. Any time he ran a route out of the backfield he was absolutely blanketed. I’d love to see him get more touches as well, but I think we also need to make teams pay for over committing to stopping Gibbs.

I know CDP is probably tired of hearing this, but we need to get our best players on the field. Mason is a workhorse and a solid player, Smith has probably been our most effective offensive player this season, and Gibbs is our star. Given our lack of talent and depth at WR/TE, I wish we could get 2 of those guys on the field almost every down.

Vespid

Billy Jacks Illegitimate Son
I don't like how he gets stopped at initial contact. He doesn't seem to have the strength or power to break a tackle.
Dude......that's not what I see at all. I mean yeah, when initial contact is two or three defenders at the same time. But even Jim Brown had trouble with that.

cincyjacket

Dodd-Like
Dude......that's not what I see at all. I mean yeah, when initial contact is two or three defenders at the same time. But even Jim Brown had trouble with that.
The play that sticks in my mind is when a Clemson guy grabbed his jersey and spun him around and held him in place for a few seconds until his buddies cleaned up the play.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
The play that sticks in my mind is when a Clemson guy grabbed his jersey and spun him around and held him in place for a few seconds until his buddies cleaned up the play.
There is an element of truth in your observation. Gibbs has an exceptional ability to strafe which served him well last year when he was a bit lighter. He's bigger now but hasn't learned to mod his style to capitalize on the extra momentum his extra weight provides so he's still trying to strafe right before the initial contact. He doesn't need to do that anymore because he's not as good at it (because he's bigger) and needs to be more "Mason-like/Dwyer-like" and just truck the first guy instead of trying to side-step around him.

Someone else astutely pointed out that the sidestepping at the LoS works great in HS, not so great in College and not at all in the NFL. We all love Gibbs but he needs to mature as a college running back.

Vespid

Billy Jacks Illegitimate Son
True, I remember that one. To be fair, I think that was a DT and he grabbed him inside the shoulder pad while in the scrum, very close to a horse collar.

GTRules

You’re Mamma
Never said they’d put up gobs. But they will definitively score more than field goals. Clemson’s offense is brutal and while their defense is good some of y’all make it sound like they are the 85 Bears. They aren’t.
Just curious, what was your prediction of the score this week?