Jaylend Ratliffe nears the finish line

Good story, and good to hear about both CPJ and CGC supporting him. I’d forgotten he was from Laurinburg - I have a bunch of family up there, and cousins that went to Scotland High School.

Not real sure about Tech offering a class called “Science, Race, and Technology,” though. UNC has made the optics on that kind of stuff pretty bad in the context of athletics.

JRjr

Not real sure about Tech offering a class called “Science, Race, and Technology,” though. UNC has made the optics on that kind of stuff pretty bad in the context of athletics.

JRjr

There is nothing wrong with having legitimate classes of this genre, and they might even be mandated by some federal oversight. The problem with UNC was they created classes which were almost exclusively for student athletes, and there was no evidence that actual classwork or attendance was required.

Have we lost more impact players to health issues or does it just seem that way? Greg Gathers kidney problems and the Bryce Gowdy tragedy leave you wondering what they might have accomplished.

JRjr

There's an entire Sports, Society, and Technology minor available at Tech. I got it myself. I took classes like Boxing and American History, History of Sports in America, Sports Psychology, Sports Economics, and Sociology of Sports. I'd say these classes were about 50% athletes.

My favorite classes I took at Tech to be honest, they were not a joke at all, and I learned a lot. Nothing wrong with "fun" classes, the UNC classes were literally just for athletes and had no actual work or course content.

There's an entire Sports, Society, and Technology minor available at Tech. I got it myself. I took classes like Boxing and American History, History of Sports in America, Sports Psychology, Sports Economics, and Sociology of Sports. I'd say these classes were about 50% athletes.

My favorite classes I took at Tech to be honest, they were not a joke at all, and I learned a lot. Nothing wrong with "fun" classes, the UNC classes were literally just for athletes and had no actual work or course content.
Curious where you work now with that degree

Curious where you work now with that degree
Reading comprehension not your strong suit, huh? As I said in my prior post, it was just a minor that I was able to get without taking a single extra class (just required free electives).

I got a business degree and work in the healthcare industry, since you asked. Not that it matters.

Our local high school where my son coaches played the Scots in the state playoffs the year of the accident. I spoke to Jaylend after the game and he seemed a very personable young man, very complimentary of the Tech staff and how they had dealt with him. I also saw some video we had from the previous year with Jaylend playing, and I believe he was the best QB recruit CPJ signed. He was a great fit for the system. When I spoke to him he held out hope of playing at Tech. He seems to have dealt with the disappointment and is ready to celebrate a great accomplishment as he completes his degree.

Reading comprehension not your strong suit, huh? As I said in my prior post, it was just a minor that I was able to get without taking a single extra class (just required free electives).

I got a business degree and work in the healthcare industry, since you asked. Not that it matters.
Little sensitive about it huh?

Bingo.

Just more evidence GT really needs to add more reading comprehension, humanities, basic logic type courses.

Congrats to the young man for hanging in there.

Here's hoping Jaylend finds a career path he loves.
Kid's already overcome so much. Hard not to root for a young man like him.
And I think he'll leave knowing what the good word is.

BB7CE2A6-AF8D-4799-A6E7-D2ABD57027B6.jpeg

Back