Jeremis Smith Commits!

i_bleed_gold_white

Varsity Lurker
That now brings the total to 4 for the # of top 150 basketball recruits that Coach Hewitt has verbal commitments for in next year's class. And they're still waiting for word from Randolph Morris, for whom they will have to "find" a 5th scholarship since they technically only have 4 to give. Should Morris commit (& of course, the supposition is also that all will actually sign in 2 weeks on signing day), Tech will actually have signed a class that rivals or potentially betters the Michigan Fab 5 class of Howard et al.

And all indications are that Morris is actually favoring Tech as well. Again, pardon the basketball thread here, but dang, I'm starting to get excited and these kids won't even get on the campus for another year!

Major props to Coach Hewitt on what is turning out to be a phenomenal recruiting class!

Oh...and before someone replies that these guys are just recruits and noone knows how they'll perform in college, etc etc, remember that this is basketball and not football. The difference there is that ALL 5 of these guys have been playing on AAU teams that match the elite of the high school players against each other all summer. Unlike football, where you may get one or 2 all-star games to view a recruit in (if you're lucky) or a summer camp or 2, this AAU circuit actually produces a fairly clear ranking system of just which players are the best compared to the other "studs".

Some very good points...Unlike football recruits..Very rarely do the elite BB recruits not work out...AAU is so competitive that when the kid gets to College it really is no big deal and in fact some of the teams he plays in AAU are STACKED with all americans..So coaches and recruiters have a VERY good feel for kids and how to rank them in BBall as opposed to Football where the rankings i believe are pure crap shoots...Ive been involved in AAU for years..The last 15 years it has changed the game of Basketball in the fact that these kids are playing Bball Year round now....

Back