Jerry Howard, Lucss Johnson & other transfers

I wish them all well. We have certainly come out ahead on the portal, even accounting for the ones who haven't panned out yet.

I counted 6 or 7 doing well at D1 schools.
Seems the cupboard was not as bare as some think
Define "well"? I'd say Lucas Johnson is doing well, but I think he had lost his starting spot at SJSU and their new starter got injured putting him back in.

I can see the defenders who left playing pretty good. Kaleb Oliver seems to be the biggest loss, although we could use one or two of those DL's right now for depth

Lucas starting QB, team ranked #21, telling. Where are we ranked?
So is it his 72 yards passing against Air Force or 44 against Utah that impressed you so much?

That team is having a very good season but it must be because of the team and competition and not the QB. And as others said, he didn’t go in and start. I’m happy that he found a good fit and is contributing. He was always a good guy and played hard. Sims is easily a better player.

So is it his 72 yards passing against Air Force or 44 against Utah that impressed you so much?

That team is having a very good season but it must be because of the team and competition and not the QB. And as others said, he didn’t go in and start. I’m happy that he found a good fit and is contributing. He was always a good guy and played hard. Sims is easily a better player.
No, it was the winning. I guess I’m in the minority here, I like winning more than I like losing.

People trying to sell these as big losses, or that these guys are setting the CFB world on fire are full of öööö.

Lucas Johnson has 300 yards passing on the season as a 6th year super senior. Half of that came against FCS Towson. The ones that went to actual P-5 schools are barely playing. Most that have any stats to speak of are doing so in FCS.

I don't want to be the person who dumps on former players. As always, I appreciate their contributions to the team that I love... but trying to use any of this to paint our current coaches in a negative way is clueless AF.

Appreciate OP for taking the time to see how these guys are doing, and to validate that the transfer portal has been a net positive for Tech so far.

I counted 6 or 7 doing well at D1 schools.
Seems the cupboard was not as bare as some think

Here are the Johnson guys at FBS schools:

- Lucas Johnson QBR is 30 points lower than sims and averages less than 5 yards per completion. Only starting because of injuries.
- Kerr is making minimal impact on a horrendous defense
- Lee is second on the depth chart at ULM behind a true freshman
- Oliver is a backup at WKU

Johnson had our cupboard stocked with G5 backups and FCS guys. Not sure that’s a stocked cupboard. Also your definition of “doing well” must be the lowest bar of all time.

People trying to sell these as big losses, or that these guys are setting the CFB world on fire are full of öööö.

Lucas Johnson has 300 yards passing on the season as a 6th year super senior. Half of that came against FCS Towson. The ones that went to actual P-5 schools are barely playing. Most that have any stats to speak of are doing so in FCS.

I don't want to be the person who dumps on former players. As always, I appreciate their contributions to the team that I love... but trying to use any of this to paint our current coaches in a negative way is clueless AF.

Appreciate OP for taking the time to see how these guys are doing, and to validate that the transfer portal has been a net positive for Tech so far.
No , I was not trying to say these transfers were huge losses just wanted to share how they are faring these days.
Seems any positive post about former players is taken as a slam against the current coaching staff & that is not what I was doing.
A 9-29 record will upset some of the faint of heart....or not.

Lucas starting QB, team ranked #21, telling. Where are we ranked?
I think we would do pretty well also playing teams ranked 123, 130, 107, 96, 44, and 23

23 is Air Force, best team on their schedule. They do have 91 and 122 ranked teams left, so they have 6 teams ranked 90th or worse on their schedule. Best ranked they have left is 30, Fresno State.

No , I was not trying to say these transfers were huge losses just wanted to share how they are faring these days.
Seems any positive post about former players is taken as a slam against the current coaching staff & that is not what I was doing.
A 9-29 record will upset some of the faint of heart....or not.

you argued the cupboard wasn’t bare because a bunch of our transfers are backups on bad teams in bottom feeder conferences.

in addition to being a transparent attempt to make things look worse by insinuating Collins ran off talented players you also made perhaps the dumbest argument in the history of this board. A truly monumental achievement.

Back