Joe Hamilton

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
I have been reading repeated articles on the Hive where posters have berated some of the pro coaches for not giving Joe Hamilton a chance to play.

Personally, I think he has been given just as much chance as any other quarterback to win the job. He and other QB candidates are paid big bucks to perform and the coach needs to win to keep his job. It behooves the coach to play the better player. Some players are back-up in case a better player gets hurt, and it appears this was Joe's role.

I am sure every one has noticed many five star high school players, from excellent programs, come into the college game and never excel at the college game. Other one star players or walk-ons come to college from poor high school programs, become All Americans, and play at the pro level.

Many times a player is the beneficiary of a good coach and good supporting players on his team. The player appears to be better than his physical abilities allow.

Joe was excellent at Tech and helped us win many games, of which, I and other Tech fans are appreciative. However, just because Joe was efficient in our system under Friegden, that does not make him better than the other QBs trying for the same position in the pros.

Ralph Friegden is one example of a coach who can take a player and maximize the player's talents by building the team around his talents. Friegden did this for Shawn Jones, who may have been a better athlete than Joe. Friegden also did the same for Hamilton and Godsey.

He developed and used the talents of other QBs while at Maryland. It is easy to understand that part of the record built up at Tech by Hamilton can be attributed to the coach and the system. Friegden used the different talents of each QB and developed the offense to suit their talents.

Was Joe a good athlete and a good competitor? Yes, but maybe not as good as the records indicate. Some of the records achieved had as much to do with the coach and system as did the beneficiary of that system

Now, Joe was given a chance at the pro level. When you get to the pro level, all players have exceptional skills. If I am a pro coach and I have two or three QBs with the same relative skills, heart, ect., but one is 5'10" and the other is 6'3", guess which one I am going to play on Sundays.

Joe might fare a little better in the continental leagues because the players there are just a tad below the NFL players in athleticism.

This was not intended to put down Joe Hamilton, but to put things in its proper perspective.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I think any QB that's 5'10" will have somewhat of a black mark against them, regardless of how they perform. That doesn't mean he hasn't been given a chance...it's just that the scouts and coaches' mindset is always in favor of a 6'3" guy.

That may be the case in some instances, but I don't think it is in this instance. The only thing that the other QBs in Tampa had (other than height) that Joe didn't is experience. Now, I think that does count for something, but Joe was not given a fair chance when you look at the situation. He outperformed the other QBs in practice and in the preseason games, and even the coaches admitted that. Yet, he was still the 3rd string QB. There was no way they could have afforded to use Joe as a starter since they had just invested so much money in Johnson. I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen this year since they just brought in the other Johnson. Now they have 4 QBs, and unless one of them gets traded, Joe is going to be the odd man out.

Originally posted by GTadamni:
That may be the case in some instances, but I don't think it is in this instance. The only thing that the other QBs in Tampa had (other than height) that Joe didn't is experience. Now, I think that does count for something, but Joe was not given a fair chance when you look at the situation. He outperformed the other QBs in practice and in the preseason games, and even the coaches admitted that. Yet, he was still the 3rd string QB. There was no way they could have afforded to use Joe as a starter since they had just invested so much money in Johnson. I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen this year since they just brought in the other Johnson. Now they have 4 QBs, and unless one of them gets traded, Joe is going to be the odd man out.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">gtadamni,
I agree with you. Joe performed very well when he got the chance but they just have a prejudice against short Qb's..(Doug Flutie for example)
Joe Hamilton is just simply a winner and when he is on the field he will usually find a way to get it done...too bad he just doesn't get the chance.
By the way...how do you pronounce "GTADAMNI" and/or what does it stand for?
Thanks.
bigthumbup.gif

Originally posted by beeware:
gtadamni,
I agree with you. Joe performed very well when he got the chance but they just have a prejudice against short Qb's..(Doug Flutie for example)
Joe Hamilton is just simply a winner and when he is on the field he will usually find a way to get it done...too bad he just doesn't get the chance.
By the way...how do you pronounce "GTADAMNI" and/or what does it stand for?
Thanks.
bigthumbup.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Adamni (ad om' knee) rhymes with Omni, like the place the Hawks used to play.

Adam is short for Adamni, kind of like John is short for Jonathan, Nathan is short for Nathaniel, etc. Well, at least that's what my older sister wanted me to believe when I was little. As older siblings will do, she called me Adamni because I hated it. It was somewhat to get back at me because I called my younger brother Nathaniel instead of Nathan because he hated that.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

aho,

I think it depends on what you mean that he was given a "chance." If you mean just during scrimmage, I'm sure all the QBs do well. I think he needs a certain amount of PT during real games. Thats when Joe shines and thats what makes him a winner. Joe hasn't gotten that chance. He has to go the Kurt Warner way through the ranks of NFL Europe...nothing wrong with that. Honestly its better than sitting on the bench all game. If he actually proves himself on the field over there, hopefully he'll get a shot somewhere over here.

Shorter QBs definitely have their work cut out for them. Just too many tall and huge people moving about extremely fast. I think Joe has the tools and hope he gets a fair shake. An option might be the CFL where so many others prospered like Flutie and Warren Moon. Tracy Ham also comes to mind. I'd rather see him in a league like that than in the "arena." But I DO think it would be great if he proved the critics wrong.

Back