Damn Good Rat
Joe Kines\' Points per Game while UGA DC:

Here's the breakdown by year:
1995: 281 points over 12 games=23.4 points/game
1996: 257 points over 11 games=23.4 points/game
1997: 195 points over 12 games=16.25 points/game
1998: 222 points over 12 games=18.5 points/game

A few comments:
UGA played most of the year without their best defensive player, Randall Godfrey, who was injured. There were also a few games where their offense gave up tons of points on turnovers (Bama, UVA). Also, let's not forget that this team faced Peyton Manning and Danny Wuerffel and back then NOBODY stopped those guys.

This team gave up 49 points to Auburn (21 in overtime). They also gave up 47 to Florida and Danny Wuerffel (in their MNC year). Outside of those 2 games, they played very well.

1997 & 1998
The personnel on the defense began to improve. Champ Bailey becomes a force. Stroud and Seymour come on board and clog the middle. They still lack pass rushing DE's and another cover corner. In 97, Kines crafted a great zone defense that had 5 interceptions against Doug Johnson and limited the GAtors to 17 points. In both 97 and 98, Tech is held well under our scoring average. We scored 24 and 21 in those 2 years against Kines' defense and that was during the awesome Fridge and Joe years.
In 98, UGA gave up 33 points against UVA in the Peach Bowl. Many of these points were directly off of Quincy Carter turnovers. That point stat is misleading.
Also, in 97 and 98, UGA held Tim Couch and Mumme's UK offense to well below their scoring average (13 points and 26 points)...an impressive feat.

In 99, Kines is demoted as UGA wants a pressure defense. Kevin Ramsey is hired and the defense is shredded almost the entire year. Kines is asked to step in and run the D in the 2nd half of Auburn, 2nd half of Purdue, 2nd half of Tech game and the entire Ole Miss(I think). In each case, when he takes over, the opposing offense doesn't score as much as when Ramsey is calling plays.

Bottom line: Against tough competition, Joe Kines devised ways to keep opponents out of the end zone. He'd be a good hire.

Re: Joe Kines\' Points per Game while UGA DC:

Excellent summary Bugboy... thanks for taking the time to put it together... Great Job...

Thanks very much, bugboy. The Kines episode was among JD's dumber moves. I'd love to see him at GT.

Nice Report Bugboy!

One comment if I could. Although Kines had Stroud and Seymour in '97 and '98 both we're young and Stroud especially took a while to find himself and his position. Word was the Dawgs were very close to moving him to OT.

Champ was a very special player and they had good talent all around, but not the type of players they had in 2000 or even '99 for that matter.

Axe,

You mention that the talent improved in 99 and 00. That's a great point. I remember in 99 how the Dawg fans were flying high pre-season because they had so much more speed and athleticism on the D than before...and yet, the defensive performance went down...except when Kines stepped in to save KR. I think that outside of Champ Bailey, no one on the '95 to '98 defense was an obvious superstar.

Back