John Swofford

Indian Buzz

Varsity Lurker
Is he a good commish for the ACC? I know nothing about him, but he seems to be a puppet for Tobacco Road. I realize that he is the former AD at UNC, and I wonder if this has anything to do with the ACC's unwillingness to expand. I believe the ACC will have to expand to remain competitive in the future. Like many of you, I'd like to see us take Miami, VT, and another east coast team. I'd like to hear some of the pluses and minuses about the job that Swofford has done for the ACC. Please realize that I know nothing about him.

I see no plus from Swafford. Not that he has done a bad job but he has done nothing creative or original to enhance the rep of the acc. Just status quo. He has shown no leadership on the expansion issue, something which must happen. I do not care how many third teir bowl games we go to, this conference will not prosper in the near future without ridding the influence of the little carolina 4. We will not make it with almost half the teams in the conference coming from 1 state and more importantly GT can not prepare to beat ugag by preparing to beat puke, weak, cantolina, and shate u.

Not to get too deep into this, but what do you mean by will not prosper? The ACC does just fine overall and the $$ returned are as good as any conference. I'm not particularly impressed by Swofford but catering to the basketball power brokers on Tobacco road is nothing new for ACC commissioners. BTW we do have 7 bowl teams this year which is a record for the conference. Not exactly the most prestigious bowls, but then again we don't have the teams to deserve that IMO.

Swofford is a hack for the tobacco road schools. The ACC needs to actively recruit several football powers and upgrade a notch on par with the SEC, who we recruit against and compete for bowls and tv exposure with. Won't happen as long Coach K and the basketball crowd dictates policy. If you will recall it was over their dead bodies that FSU was "allowed" in.

ncjacket - "$$ returned" is true, for now. See this conference in big trouble if something not done in fb within 5 years. Almost 1/2 of the schools from 1 state is not the way to go tv wise, IMHO.

I would normall agree texstinger but the ACC BB tv package is a cash cow. No matter what writers and announcers say, year in year out the ACC is best, gets the best ratings and the TV people know it.

IMO the only way football becomes that important in the future is if a playoff is instituted. The $$ involved would be huge and getting as many teams as possible in will make a big differene. Right now any team added would have to bring at least the average payout to make it worthwhile. A Miami (BCS bowl) would certainly do it. Not sure about anybody else.

Back