Johnny Unitas passes away (link)

Originally posted by beeware:
I must be getting old
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I feel the same way, beeware. He was a helluva QB, wasn't he?
IIRC, the NFL still allowed a runner to get back up and keep running when Johnny came up. Of course, he only "ran" when trotting off the field, which was about his top speed. But he sure could find the open man.

One of the last of the truly tough QB's...don't know how many times I watched him stand tall in the face of certain pain from an oncoming defender.

Mo

No doubt Unitas was a great competitor. I was a big Bart Starr/Green Bay Packer fan and my best friend was a big Unitas/Baltimore Colt fan.
Those were some of the greatest games in NFL history.

RIP....Johnny U. #19

Yes, rest in peace #19. When I was a kid 19 was a number all the kids wanted because of Johnny U.
Beeware, we've defintely aged a little bit more
with his passing. You younger guys have no idea how great this guy was to the NFL. He was selected out of Louisville (sp) by the Steelers and released and wound up totally dominating the NFL and setting all the passing records until Marino and those guys came along years later. One of the greatest of all time.

I still remember crying my eyes out when my hero Johnny Unitis lost to the Rams (that is LA Rams) in the "game of the century" sometime around 68 or so. Memory is hazy about what the year was but I really remember the depression I felt.

I also remember how good I felt when he came in and tried to rescue the Super Bowl the Colts lost to Broadway Joe. The old warhorse come to battle one more time. Great memory of him.

May he rest in peace.

the "game of the century" was the '58 NFL Championship game between the Colts and the Giants, that the Colts won in sudden death overtime on a touchdown by Alan Ameche. Or was it Don Ameche
wink.gif

Maybe the game you remember is the Super Bowl in '69 when Broadway Joe Namath led the AFL Champs, big underdogs, over the heavily favored Colts. Unitas played, but Earl Morrall had taken over the starting slot when Unitas was injured early in the year.

I wasnt born when the great title game took place... and was a kid when Baltimore beat Dallas in the Super Bowl... but Unitas was the only pro football player that I truly loved... I liked that he was an underdog... and still found great success... I liked his competitive nature... but most of all, I liked the high tops...

I remember when I was a kid, my mom would make me wear t-shirts... she was furious one day when she found out I had taken a magic marker and scribbled a big 19 on each of them...

God bless Johnny U.

Naw - the "game of the century" I remember was not in the league of the Colts/Giants game. I am not quite old enough to have seen that one live and remembered anything about it. The Rams "game of the century" was in quotes to try to designate it as the media's creation for a big game for that year - kind of like a lot of "games of the century" we get every year. Was a big game for the NFC championship I vividly remember for the reason my hero got beat. Didn't mean to be so unclear about the game of the century designation.

Back