Johnson's Spread Option Passing Attack

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
So where has the idea gone????????????????????????

*Johnson wanted a passing attack added to the Flex Option ground attack.
The idea was to mesh the most potent ground attack, the T-Option, with at the time in the 80’s, was the RUN & SHOOT which would be added to base passing attack.

Background - Flex option & Passing attack.
In 1985 Johnson became Erk's Offensive Coordinator. The Flex option system and formation were installed as GSUs base offense. One of the selling points to ERK was its passing potential. The formation itself is basically a passing formation adapted to run the triple option, with A back motion, and supplemental running plays. PJ also had his basic T-Option passing attack along with a RUN & SHOOT passing attack.

RUN & SHOOT passing attack adapted to Spread Option.
Like the T-Option the RUN & SHOOT, is a flexible passing offense that adjusts "on the fly," as the receivers are free to adjust their routes as they are running them in response to the defensive coverage employed. The QB, also has to read and react to the defense's coverages in passing as he does in the t-option read.

The RUN & SHOOT was USED.
In 1984, 85 & 86, Tracy Ham was GSC’s QB that had the ability not only to run/ read the t-option, but a RUN & SHOOT passing attack along with the Flex’s standard passing routs.
***Recognition also goes to GSCs A, B, slots, wideout and LINE MEN, who meshed together and gave Tracy, the QB, the targets & protection he needed to execute the RUN & SHOOT and standard passing

EXAMPLE - RUN & SHOOT passing attack used in GSC’s 1985 NC. Victory.
*Go 4:00 min. into the 8 min. video. Furman 28 – GSC 6 in the middle of 3rd quarter.
GSC’s defense holds, RUN & SHOOT surprises, and GSC drops 40 points on Furman to win the NC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUhrp2Gjnv4

Need a qb, receivers, and enough practice time to learn it.

The practice time is a problem I think. The R&S and the 3O both take a lot of practice.

The practice time is a problem I think. The R&S and the 3O both take a lot of practice.

Emphasize needing a good passing qb. Justin Thomas was pretty effective especially in 2014

I agree with you. Our QB from 1983 - 86 was very unique even freakish for a true Triple Option QB. He was more than competent in making his option running calls, running the ball himself, in the play action and when needed the Run & Shoot passing game. You just dont see that often anymore at least picking that type of QB for the likes of GT, Georgia Southern, Navy, Army & AF. Strange though I know a lot of High Schools run the option in some form. Ham wanted to play QB at a major collage but they said he was to short & offered him a running back position. Maybe both of us need to look beyond the major High Schools to find our Dimond in the rough.

HAMs record at GSC under HC Russell & OC Johnson
In 1983 & 84 Ham passed at 49% & in 1985 & 86. he was at 55%
6,800 yards passing yards
3988 personal rushing yards

I think he was the first Option QB to ever reach those stats & you can see why I was hooked on PJs Spread Triple Option Attack. The new T-Option system allowed GSC to run the ball and pass when the team wanted to.

GSU news says it now has a dual threat QB starting this year. If he is 80% of what Ham was then we are in good shape at QB for the next 3 years. GSU has had other GREAT QBs ,but HAM started the program off with 2 NCs.

Explain your rationale for the use of bold, italics, and underline
The separation of stats from regular sentence & paragraph. Yes I'm proud of GSC/GSU's past but the reason for the post is to show that a Spread Option QB could be diverse enough to master the Triple running attack and a very good passing attack to amass great scoring and winning percentage.

The current Spread Option teams just need to find them.

Is it gold or iron pyrite we are both looking for.?

CPJ would have to explain the extent to which he considered and envisioned the Run n Shoot as part of the offense during the early days. Regardless, the current form is a run based option offense with a couple elements of Run n Shoot in the passing game (Notably, the dual read of the DB by the QB and WR).

We’re not going to a lot of fancy passing plays until the OL can pass block well. Pass blocking was really bad there for a few seasons. It’s been better lately, but still isn’t what it should be. I would not be surprised if much of Run n Shoot is technically still part of the offense, but that CPJ doesn’t put it into the playbook because he doesn’t think the team can execute it (take your pick of if the “fault” is due to to OL, QB, or WR).

CPJ would have to explain the extent to which he considered and envisioned the Run n Shoot as part of the offense during the early days. Regardless, the current form is a run based option offense with a couple elements of Run n Shoot in the passing game (Notably, the dual read of the DB by the QB and WR).

We’re not going to a lot of fancy passing plays until the OL can pass block well. Pass blocking was really bad there for a few seasons. It’s been better lately, but still isn’t what it should be. I would not be surprised if much of Run n Shoot is technically still part of the offense, but that CPJ doesn’t put it into the playbook because he doesn’t think the team can execute it (take your pick of if the “fault” is due to to OL, QB, or WR).

BraveJ - "We’re not going to a lot of fancy passing plays until the OL can pass block well. Pass blocking was really bad there for a few seasons. It’s been better lately, but still isn’t what it should be. I would not be surprised if much of Run n Shoot is technically still part of the offense, but that CPJ doesn’t put it into the playbook because he doesn’t think the team can execute it (take your pick of if the “fault” is due to to OL, QB, or WR)"

I can see that. I just hope all of PJs vision for his offense comes together before the end of his carrier. Either at GSU or GT!

The separation of stats from regular sentence & paragraph. Yes I'm proud of GSC/GSU's past but the reason for the post is to show that a Spread Option QB could be diverse enough to master the Triple running attack and a very good passing attack to amass great scoring and winning percentage.

The current Spread Option teams just need to find them.

Is it gold or iron pyrite we are both looking for.?

I think I like where your head’s at, I just can’t read more than a few words from your posts. Keep up the good work I think

I think I like where your head’s at, I just can’t read more than a few words from your posts. Keep up the good work I think

I think you do...…….. ;-)

GSU & GT will have their QB & Spread Option offense that averages 380 YPG, 130 ypg and 37+ ppg. in the near future. MAYBE, ;-)

You can blame player execution but really it's personnel. Our OL just arent the type of guys passing teams want but they are good in our system. I guess everybody wants the 4/5-star huge+super athletic linemen that would work in any system, but the guys we get seem best suited for our system at the sacrifice of perhaps the pass-pro body type.

It still boggles my mind, that we can’t get a QB that can hit half of his passes.

A lot of it has to do with scheme. CPJ likes to swing for fences in the passing game, so the completion percentage is always going to be low. That said, I agree we ought to complete at least 50%. Keep in mind the QB is only part of the problem. The OL has to block and the receivers have to run good routes. Both of the later have been issues in the past.

Pass protection has been better lately? If Taquan was not incredibly mobile, he would have died on the football field last year. We would have had 1000 yards passing and -1500 yards in sacks.

You can blame player execution but really it's personnel. Our OL just arent the type of guys passing teams want but they are good in our system. I guess everybody wants the 4/5-star huge+super athletic linemen that would work in any system, but the guys we get seem best suited for our system at the sacrifice of perhaps the pass-pro body type.
What you are saying is our coaching and our system in general is fine, but we just don't have a team that is talented enough to execute.

Anyone watch the video? Notice how the offense used standard splits between the offensive linemen? I can understand how our current splits are much better for the running game, but clearly they are a disadvantage in our passing game. Maybe CPJ eventually decided he had to make a choice, and he chose run.

Pass protection has been better lately? If Taquan was not incredibly mobile, he would have died on the football field last year. We would have had 1000 yards passing and -1500 yards in sacks.
Pass protection was improved last year until the o-line injuries mounted up.

Back