Josh Downs of North Gwinnett showing CGC love on the Twitter

@18in32 would be in a better place to say than I am; however, I'm pretty sure you don't exactly get a say as to whom "your" scholarship gets matched.
It's like any kind of charitable giving – you can make requests and put in criteria and such, but obviously don't get to dictate to them how dollars are spent. (That's actually a legal requirement, FYI.) Everybody would say "I'll take the All-Star"! Several years ago the GTAA started ensuring that you could stick with one athlete throughout his career, so you get a chance to meet the families, know them personally, etc. Some of my guys now work in white-collar jobs here in Atlanta, others have gone who-knows-where. And some have made millions in the NFL.

@18in32 would be in a better place to say than I am; however, I'm pretty sure you don't exactly get a say as to whom "your" scholarship gets matched.

You don't get to pick, but the GTAA definitely let's you know who it supports. You even get a nice note from the S-A each year.

Sat next to the lady who supplied Justin Thomas' scholly up at Notre Dame '15. Her late husband was a GT-grad and had recently passed. She was very nice and spoke of Justin a bit like he was one of her kids. Seemed they had a legit relationship but not like that, ew gross.

Sat next to the lady who supplied Justin Thomas' scholly up at Notre Dame '15. Her late husband was a GT-grad and had recently passed. She was very nice and spoke of Justin a bit like he was one of her kids. Seemed they had a legit relationship but not like that, ew gross.
Is that how it actually works? I always assumed scholarships just came out of the athletic fund, and not necessarily "you paid for him and you paid for him," etc.

Is that how it actually works? I always assumed scholarships just came out of the athletic fund, and not necessarily "you paid for him and you paid for him," etc.

It probably does. I'm guessing whoever donates to the scholarship fund get "assigned" a player to represent or put a face to that donation. So, you could either get "connected" with either JT5 or someone from the softball team.

I have no clue what I'm talking about though.

like others said, I don't know that you get to choose your guy, but you absolutely know who your guy is, they let you keep your guy all 4 years, and there is some correspondence between the SA and the patron. Its easier to give $30k a year when you know the person it is going to.
Also, I know I've seen somewhere where it says which scholly a SA has; i.e. "recipient of the [insert big$ donor here] Memorial Scholarship," for example. May be in the program.

like others said, I don't know that you get to choose your guy, but you absolutely know who your guy is, they let you keep your guy all 4 years, and there is some correspondence between the SA and the patron. Its easier to give $30k a year when you know the person it is going to.
Also, I know I've seen somewhere where it says which scholly a SA has; i.e. "recipient of the [insert big$ donor here] Memorial Scholarship," for example. May be in the program.

Yes. It lists in the program which player has which memorial scholarship. It also lists what the criteria is. For example, it may say scholarship is only for certain majors or players from a certain town or county, IIRC.

For people who care, it can actually go further than that if the donor and the SA are so inclined. There's an annual dinner, but also once you are paying for the scholarship, the compliance folks are a little less crazy about SA-donor interaction – basically, you can take 'em out to lunch if you want (and if they want, obvs).

I mean, these are 20 year old kids and I'm some old fogey, so neither of us wants to become besties. But I've gotten to know some kids a little; more than anything just want to give them the impression that they're not a commodity, that there's a body of GT people out there cheering for them not just on game days but all the time.

For people who care, it can actually go further than that if the donor and the SA are so inclined. There's an annual dinner, but also once you are paying for the scholarship, the compliance folks are a little less crazy about SA-donor interaction – basically, you can take 'em out to lunch if you want (and if they want, obvs).

I mean, these are 20 year old kids and I'm some old fogey, so neither of us wants to become besties. But I've gotten to know some kids a little; more than anything just want to give them the impression that they're not a commodity, that there's a body of GT people out there cheering for them not just on game days but all the time.

you ever blaze up with a gravedigger?

Back