JTS melt down imminent: Pastner extended three years

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
I can live with the Pastner extension, but I'm not ecstatic. Fortner I've got no issues with. Maybe Pastner can do some recruiting work without the Bell stuff now. I think this season they'll likely go in reverse though without Wright and Alvarado. It leaves an undesirable taste in the mouth that the "break through" season ended with a crappy NCAAT draw, one and done without Wright in the NCAAT, and two embarrassing loses to start the season because some genius didn't want to practice because of COVID. So really you only got 2 months of quality basketball in that season. 2 months in 5 years. And now back to sub-NCAAT likely. Yeesh.

2 months ...if it was even that long in 5 years is considered a successful program in bball land

TechRush

Dodd-Like
I can live with the Pastner extension, but I'm not ecstatic. Fortner I've got no issues with. Maybe Pastner can do some recruiting work without the Bell stuff now. I think this season they'll likely go in reverse though without Wright and Alvarado. It leaves an undesirable taste in the mouth that the "break through" season ended with a crappy NCAAT draw, one and done without Wright in the NCAAT, and two embarrassing loses to start the season because some genius didn't want to practice because of COVID. So really you only got 2 months of quality basketball in that season. 2 months in 5 years. And now back to sub-NCAAT likely. Yeesh.
It is what it is. :thumbup:

00Burdell

Dodd-Like
Boy, this thread is better then watching one of those fishing shows that are on TV on Sunday morning. WooooEEeeee! They are bitin today!

georgia_tech_swagger

Helluva Engineer
I really don't understand the negativity toward CJP. He came in here when the cupboard was bare and put a decent product on the floor by implementing a solid defensive system and an offensive system that was necessary due to the lack of talent. Over time he has shown the ability to adapt his offensive system to take advantage of his players' abilities. And as the talent has improved he has adjusted his defense to incorporate more m2m while still implementing a zone that continues to confuse opponents. But what stands out to me is his players continue to improve while under his watch. That isn't true for a lot of coaches. So what is the real beef with him as a coach? FWIW I put JTS on ignore long ago as his ignorance of basketball is evident with every post.
Choosing to not practice before last season was a first ballot Hall of Fame moron move. Bringing along Ron Bell was another spectacularly dumb move. And in case you've forgotten.... Wofford, Wright State, Ball State, Georgia State (twice), Mercer, St. Johns, Gardner Webb, Bethune-Cookman, Grambling State, Ohio (not State), NC A&T, and he's winless against UGAg. Let's not pretend Pastner has no baggage. He has plenty.

Vespidie

I'm your Huckleberry
It's more than that. We finished 4th in the ACC regular season, just two games off first.
In a less than stellar ACC at that, as well as "covid" inflicted/affected season. Only fools rely on a single season to define greatness.

Vespidie

I'm your Huckleberry
Choosing to not practice before last season was a first ballot Hall of Fame moron move. Bringing along Ron Bell was another spectacularly dumb move. And in case you've forgotten.... Wofford, Wright State, Ball State, Georgia State (twice), Mercer, St. Johns, Gardner Webb, Bethune-Cookman, Grambling State, Ohio (not State), NC A&T, and he's winless against UGAg. Let's not pretend Pastner has no baggage. He has plenty.
Not to mention that those making up the braintrusts at the GTAA swooped in and "stole" CJP from Memphis. It's been a long, lurid tale of basketball fails since the Cremins hey day.

78pike

Varsity Lurker
You sound like you are upset that we won an ACC title. Say what you want but we won the games we had to win in order to win the crown including a nice winning streak at the end of the season. I'm curious. Were you rooting for us to lose so you could say I told you so? Sure everyone was disappointed at the start of the season. But you give him no credit for changing gears and changing the lineup which drastically altered the success of the team for the remainder of the season. We all hated the disappointment of the losses you listed, but are you saying the program is worse off than when he took over? If you believe that than you are a fool.

CSB, I live in Iowa and last night I mentioned to friend of girlfriend that I went to Georgia Tech, no sports context. She said "Oh, Josh Pastner", and she knew him as the guy who wore a face shield. I was surprised someone who's never lived in the South knew his name. Guess he's the (shielded) face of Tech now.

georgia_tech_swagger

Helluva Engineer
You sound like you are upset that we won an ACC title. Say what you want but we won the games we had to win in order to win the crown including a nice winning streak at the end of the season. I'm curious. Were you rooting for us to lose so you could say I told you so? Sure everyone was disappointed at the start of the season. But you give him no credit for changing gears and changing the lineup which drastically altered the success of the team for the remainder of the season. We all hated the disappointment of the losses you listed, but are you saying the program is worse off than when he took over? If you believe that than you are a fool.
I never once mentioned the ACC title in my post. I gave him credit for his 2 months of quality basketball ... after 5 years. Is the program worse off than when he took over? No. Is it definitely leaps and bounds better either? No. There's no Wright or Alvarado this year, and the drop off from both was steep last year. The last two months of last season were great. I don't want to wait another 5 years to get 2 good months of basketball though.

JelloJacket

Damn Good Rat
I never once mentioned the ACC title in my post. I gave him credit for his 2 months of quality basketball ... after 5 years. Is the program worse off than when he took over? No. Is it definitely leaps and bounds better either? No. There's no Wright or Alvarado this year, and the drop off from both was steep last year. The last two months of last season were great. I don't want to wait another 5 years to get 2 good months of basketball though.
Don’t worry. This season will be just fine. No need to live life scared.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Now replace Pastner with Collins and go post this in the football forum
Huh? Other than inheriting a difficult situation, how is Collins’ tenure anything AT ALL like Pastner’s. Pastner has an obvious schematic identity that is pretty successful and has the players fully bought in, whereas our football program still appears to be in flux. Pastner and co. have coached several relative unknowns to All-ACC status, which is much harder in bball than football. Sure, our guys got bigger under Collins, but it isn’t translating to the field yet. Almost every single player that stuck around under Pastner has gotten better.

You keep trying to make this comparison, but it’s apples and oranges. Collins will deservedly get his chance to prove himself, but neither his approach nor his results resemble Pastner’s at all, so the analogy seems dumb to me.

jts1207

Huh? Other than inheriting a difficult situation, how is Collins’ tenure anything AT ALL like Pastner’s. Pastner has an obvious schematic identity that is pretty successful and has the players fully bought in, whereas our football program still appears to be in flux. Pastner and co. have coached several relative unknowns to All-ACC status, which is much harder in bball than football. Sure, our guys got bigger under Collins, but it isn’t translating to the field yet. Almost every single player that stuck around under Pastner has gotten better.

You keep trying to make this comparison, but it’s apples and oranges. Collins will deservedly get his chance to prove himself, but neither his approach nor his results resemble Pastner’s at all, so the analogy seems dumb to me.
It took Pastner approximately 4.7 years to accomplish very little. We are at 2.2 years of Collins and people want him fired. The double standard and pastner apologists are hilarious

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
It took Pastner approximately 4.7 years to accomplish very little. We are at 2.2 years of Collins and people want him fired. The double standard and pastner apologists are hilarious
I definitely remember people bashing Pastner quite regularly during his first three years. Then in year 4, he finished fifth in the conference in the regular season. And in year 5, he finished fourth in the conference and won the ACC Tourney title, albeit with a COVID asterisk. That's when people started supporting him.

I can assure you that if Collins starts finishing that high in the ACC people won't be calling for his head. And if he somehow backs into an ACC title like Pastner did, people will be deifying him.

jts1207

I definitely remember people bashing Pastner quite regularly during his first three years. Then in year 4, he finished fifth in the conference in the regular season. And in year 5, he finished fourth in the conference and won the ACC Tourney title, albeit with a COVID asterisk. That's when people started supporting him.

I can assure you that if Collins starts finishing that high in the ACC people won't be calling for his head. And if he somehow backs into an ACC title like Pastner did, people will be deifying him.
Year 4 we could have finished 1st and it would not have mattered as we were on coach inflicted probation

johncu

Dodd-Like
He was ACC Coach of the Year in his first season and dramatically overachieved given the ööööshow of talent he inherited. Collins’ performance thus far is not remotely comparable. I have already posted their stats thru 2 seasons - they are very different.

And you apparently seem to think that nobody wanted Pastner fired? Lots of people did at times - me included. But he put together 2 good seasons in a row and just pulled in one of the best recruiting classes we have had in a while. He has earned the chance to prove that it wasn’t a fluke, so we’ll see where things go. If we revert back to 2017-2019 type play, he’ll be gone within 2 years.

jts1207

He was ACC Coach of the Year in his first season and dramatically overachieved given the ööööshow of talent he inherited. Collins’ performance thus far is not remotely comparable. I have already posted their stats thru 2 seasons - they are very different.

And you apparently seem to think that nobody wanted Pastner fired? Lots of people did at times - me included. But he put together 2 good seasons in a row and just pulled in one of the best recruiting classes we have had in a while. He has earned the chance to prove that it wasn’t a fluke, so we’ll see where things go. If we revert back to 2017-2019 type play, he’ll be gone within 2 years.
A meaningless probation season. You all will have all your get old stay old bs excuses ready for the next 2 seasons…..5 years and a single tournament appearance is bs.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Year 4 we could have finished 1st and it would not have mattered as we were on coach inflicted probation
But it definitely matters as far as how people view his coaching ability and the direction he's taking the program. The bottom line is that Pastner sucked for three years and people hated on him. There were absolutely people calling for him to be fired. Then he turned it around and gave us our best conference records in twenty years in years 4 and 5, so people started changing their tune and being more willing to give him additional time.

Right now Collins is in that first phase. He's sucked for two years, and then started off a much hyped third year with a loss to a really bad team. It's not surprising that he's getting ragged on. If he turns it around like Pastner did then you will definitely see people's opinions change. If he finishes in the top half of the conference no one will be calling for his head, and if he finishes in the top third of the conference two years in a row like Pastner then people will love him.

Bottom line: win and people like you. Lose and people don't. It's true for Collins, it's true for Pastner, and it's true for basically every coach. Just win, baby.

jts1207

But it definitely matters as far as how people view his coaching ability and the direction he's taking the program. The bottom line is that Pastner sucked for three years and people hated on him. There were absolutely people calling for him to be fired. Then he turned it around and gave us our best conference records in twenty years in years 4 and 5, so people started changing their tune and being more willing to give him additional time.

Right now Collins is in that first phase. He's sucked for two years, and then started off a much hyped third year with a loss to a really bad team. It's not surprising that he's getting ragged on. If he turns it around like Pastner did then you will definitely see people's opinions change. If he finishes in the top half of the conference no one will be calling for his head, and if he finishes in the top third of the conference two years in a row like Pastner then people will love him.

Bottom line: win and people like you. Lose and people don't. It's true for Collins, it's true for Pastner, and it's true for basically every coach. Just win, baby.
I’m not listening to that best conference record bs either especially with the expanded schedule. We will see what we got ….I have a good idea

JelloJacket

Damn Good Rat
I’m not listening to that best conference record bs either especially with the expanded schedule. We will see what we got ….I have a good idea
Can you put that "good idea" in terms of wins and losses? I personally suspect we'll win more games this coming year than this past year. While we obviously lose 2 out of 3 stars off the team we return 6 out of the top 8 contributors from last year. Throw in an exciting transfer(Smith), a couple of kids coming back off of injuries(Maxwell/Meka) and our best recruiting class in years. Plenty to look forward to instead of constantly calling(hoping?) for the worst.