Junction Boys the Movie

jasper_thanks

Varsity Lurker
What did ya think?

I think it ain't Hoosiers but....

I saw Will Glover in the airport today and and I didn't see him at graduation earlier today. 5 years with tutors???

Altough my grandad graduated in 1952 times have changed.

He always tells me that to graduate from Ga Tech back then you had to swim across a pool with your hands and legs tied, naked!! PERIOD. He was a lifegaurd. He said many of boys had to try 5 and 6 times to graduate.

He told me the class was mentioned in Time Magazine every year but was ended when women were entered GT.

It may have been ended by now, but Drown Proofing was still going strong in the '70s and there were women in the class.

Thanks ...
Thats good to hear it went into the 70's

Im still waiting for my grandad to teach me.
wink.gif

too bad all his kids went to UGA. I had to end that tradition

Glover's only been at Tech four years, not five. He never redshirted.

According to rambinwreck.com, Gordon Clinkscale, Dan Dyke, and Hal Higgins graduated today.

Although I graduated in AUG 02

I was at the thriller dome today and didnt see Gordon Clinkscale or Hal Higgins.

When Bear got older-about my and ahso's age- he said about his martinet days, "I don't know why I acted like that." I remember thinking that he was complimenting Dodd on being a reasonable person and at the same time a good coach. And he seemed to be genuinely puzzled about his hard-ass attitudes.

One of my greatest football memories occured in 1957-58 when Texas A&M came to Lubbock, Texas to play the Red RAiders,who had only recently had made their way into acceptance as a SWC member. I was permitted on the sidelines that night and saw Bear Bryant and his staff up close. There was a definite mystical atmosphere present. During the pre-game workouts (it seems) all the staff wore suits and hats. They strolled among the players as they were doing their limbering up routines. Not a word was hardly being spoken. It was like seeing a group of Secret Service Men, or CIA, or Mafia as they all looked almost alike, down to their strides. My biggest disappointment was that John David Crowe was injured and did not get to play. He was nevertheless dressed out and on the sidelines. As the game took a turn in Tech's direction Crowe walked along the bench, yelling and brandishing a clenched fist while facing every player and demanding an improved, winning performance. They did as he said, and came back strongly to win. I personally avoid most of the biographical type movies because I am usually dissapointed with the character who is chosen to play the star of the movie. The last such episode was the special on Bobby Knight. I really felt they could have done a better job selecting the star. I saw a newspaper ad today of the A&M movie. The man who apparently was to play the Bear was muscular-looking (as in weight lifting) and seemed to have no neck. Bear did not look anything like that, so I lost all further interest. Sorry, that's just how quirky I am. Hoosiers (?)...one of the greatest movies ever made in my personal opinion.
smile.gif
smile.gif

from what I saw of it, it sucked. A bunch of grossly overhyped, garbage.

Funny how the topic that started with "Junction Boys" quickly changed to naked boys in a pool! Ha!

Drown proofing was still around in the fall of'78. I was fortunate to not have to take it. All SA's earned a PE credit for participating in their sport. The academic advisors made sure that we were aware of this.

I thought Junction Boys was a decent movie. Not great. Not Oscar-winning type stuff, but a good movie. Tom Berenger did a good job of portraying the Bear, I thought.

I took Drown-Proofing.

As a graduate of the drown-proofing class, I remember it well. Took place in the basement of the naval armory, if memory serves me right.

There were several exercises you had to complete, an underwater swim the length of the pool and back, stay afloat for the class using your pants to make a life vest, and the infamous feet and hands (behind your back) tied.

If I remember the story correctly, several Tech men were lost during WWII from ditching at sea. So the program was implemented.

Guaranteed, anyone who completed the course never feared again being thrown in a pool with your hands and feet tied.

I understand there is a photograph of the class in progress hanging in the admissions office.

Back