Just don't see us leaving ACC soon.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
Just don\'t see us leaving ACC soon.

As much as I'd like to tell Duke and UNC to shove it, it looks like it would cost at least $7M to leave the ACC. Also included in the exit language is the right for ACC schools to cancel any scheduled games without penalty. So we could be left with holes in our schedule that we couldn't fill on short notice as well as a huge hit on the AA budget.

The only way out I see is for Tech, Clemson, FSU and hopefully Miami to agree to a longer term approach to this. We announce intentions to seek or build a better conference, but don't withdraw until after we've built up our war-chest to cover expenses. We start talking to TV about rights to our games and schedule Miami ASAP in all sports. If the ACC responds the way they should, we stay where we are. If the don't, we leave in time to catch onto the new BCS deal. There's no way the BCS would have any credibility if there wasn't a way for FSU or Miami to play in the MNC game.

I'm sure I've missed some huge issues here, but what do you think?

Re: Just don\'t see us leaving ACC soon.

MsTA, I'll have to look for the link, but when a school leaves the ACC they forfeit 75% of that year's take, or about $7.2M for this past year. I'm not sure of the detail of how it works, whether you pay anything back, or just don't get your share or what, but it's pretty steep. It may be due to the fact that the league pays equal shares?

It's almost like the ACC is making you a prisoner! That's steep as heck and leaving is almost like cutting your throat financially! Just wondering, any loopholes? Would love to see the link. Thanks.

I don't know anything about the details of withdrawal from the ACC but I have read where some Tarheel fan threw this kind of stuff out but i'm not in a position to confirm or refute it. But I have since read several versions of the penalties assessed when a team left the conference. Sometimes you can throw things around and some of it just sticks to the walls. We have a few legal experts on our board and I would like to hear what the official version really is. But NC Jacket if the termination fee is that steep it would cause anyone other than ND stop and think before they did anything harshly. But having said that I think relationships will be extremely strained between the two aristocrats and the seven commoners for many years to come. It may be like many marriages that the couple finds is so distasteful that they are willing to jeopardize the family security for a breath of fresh air. If Tech can find it financially feasable I would like to see us ally with FSU,Clemson, Miami, Syracuse, BC, VT,VA. Louisville,Pitt,Uconn and WV.
We could write the by-laws that we feel are practical for the time in which we live. Remember, the present ACC by-laws was written in 1953 and so much have changed since then. Anyway,
I am very disgusted with what is going on at the present and I think Duke and Carolina would rather destroy the league than compromise to the good of the conference.

It's time to create a new conference. The blue lead can have what's left of "their" ACC after we leave. Their selfishness and arrogance is unmistakable. I can't imagine remaining in a conference with these turds.

Gnats, I think North Carolina, Duke, and Virginia have done irreparable damage to the conference. I don't think it will ever be the same.

I would be willing to bet the football fans of all three schools are none to pleased with their administrations.

I have admired the coaching ability of coach K, Deam Smith, and Roy Williams. I have a sneaky feeling both coach K and Dean Smith are part of the problem. It is possible Williams is involved.

If I find this to be true, any of the three responsible will never have my respect again. I would imagine some of their own football fans feel the same way.

I bet they get booed by their own fans at the basketball games this year.

It is time to leave the conference. I don't care where we go, I am fed up with the three teams involved in killing the expansion.

Father Time

There were quite a few posts on BC's board from NC and Duke fans that the are very upset with their administrations. They KNOW they are going to be perceived as the derailers of expansion and have caused this conference and its teams irreprable harm!

Tech can't stay put - it's all about conferences aggressively enhancing their opportunities and WE STAY PUT because we have those here who want status quo so they can stay "king of the hill" in basketball!

In the big scheme of college football, we will all be left behind because the ACC didn't do the right thing and someone else did! I agree, if we can find a way to lineup with the other teams who want change - we can be the powerbroker!

Now, who has the guts to do this and can we get the $$$ to make it happen? This was going to be such a positive for this conference that has only expanded once since 1953 - we're out of the dark ages folks, it's sink or swim Now!

NCJ: Have not seen or read anything on getting out, where does the $7M come in, heaven sakes it only takes the BE $lM! Can you give some input about cost?

Back