Key questions

JelloYacketDeleted062020

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
So, looking at Key's coaching history he rose through the ranks at UCF and ended up as Assistant HC, offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator. He was the "heir apparent" to O'Leary and apparently turned down the job at UAB in 2013. Then he doesn't get hired (loses to Frost) and goes to Alabama as O-line coach. My questions:

- Why didn't he get the job at UCF?
- I'm surprised he went to Alabama for o-line only, seems like a demotion. Was it just to get the name on the resume? Maybe that was the issue with the first question.
- Outside of some part slight, why wouldn't this be a good hire as Asst HC / recruiting coordinator/ o-line coach? If he was recruiting coordinator for UCF, all of those guys are the ones playing right now as seniors.

Sorry if covered in other threads. Hard to read through the chaff these days.

He didn’t get the job at UCF because he ranked last in the country as an OC and the team was in a bad spot

He didn’t really go to Alabama as much as he got fired from UCF. He’s another one of Saban’s coaches who are great at some aspects of the game but got fired and Saban brought on cheap for his staff.

I only pause at an assistant head coach title with Key, but he is one of the best recruiters in the country.

I hope we get Brent Key

I'd love to get him, too.

My only concern is the $495k he's making at Bama right now. I doubt we'll be paying our coordinators much more than that.

But might upward mobility be another reason Brent might consider leaving Bama? Has he hit his ceiling there?

Maybe he realizes with Nick all he's ever going to be is an OL coach.

He didn’t get the job at UCF because he ranked last in the country as an OC and the team was in a bad spot

He didn’t really go to Alabama as much as he got fired from UCF. He’s another one of Saban’s coaches who are great at some aspects of the game but got fired and Saban brought on cheap for his staff.

I only pause at an assistant head coach title with Key, but he is one of the best recruiters in the country.
Nothing is cheap at Alabama

Fai

Fair enough, that's how I read it. Thanks.

My only concern is the $495k he's making at Bama right now. I doubt we'll be paying our coordinators much more than that.

But might upward mobility be another reason Brent might consider leaving Bama? Has he hit his ceiling there?

This was my hesitation in believing he would come here also. I just wondered how much it would take him and would he really leave Bama for essentially the same role? Evidently, he will be paid more and will have a "better title."

I think part of the reason for moving away from the option was financial. This way you attract a larger base from which to get money. I think we are gonna start paying our coordinators $1M+

Wow. I'm doubtful we can afford to pay an OL coach more than Key is already making. Under Johnson the assistants were all in the $200k range except the DC. Roof was up to $750k his last year and Woody was under $600k.

Key is only going to come if he is more interested in the assistant head coach responsibility than his salary.

Current Bama OC has accepted the HC job at Maryland.
Would think Key is trying to get that position, however, based on his last season at UCF, that might not be an option at Bama with so many others to chase.

Wonder how many impact players at UCF the past two years were Key recruits.

Would be a huge get if he joins the staff.

Back