#! Key to the Season

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
The defense is keeping people out of the end zone! They are surrendering yards, but that "bend but not break" attitude is keeping us in the "W" column. Throw out the Clemson game of course, just not a good night. But I thought I'd remind everyone what the defense has done against good teams this season:

1) Notre Dame: Allowed just 14 points. One TD on a long drive at the end of the first half. Only other TD came on a drive extended by a penalty (15 yarder on Phillip Wheeler...let the players play!:mad:) Anyway, first game with a new secondary vs. explosive Charlie Weis and Brady Quinn, Rhema Mcknight, Jeff Smardzija, etc. and just 14 points given up.

2) Virginia Tech: With the Jackets leading 21-7 in the 2nd quarter, Reggie Ball interceptions on back to back possessions could have led to VT tying the ballgame. But the defense held them to 2 field goals, and Tech (the real one) added a field goal to go into the half leading 24-13. Those 2 possessions in the 2nd quarter might seem insignificant, as GT was up 25 at one point in the game, but holding on to that double digit lead was in fact very significant...especially once the officials tried to help them get back in it.

3) Maryland: The Terps scored 2 TD's in this one. One on a kickoff return; the other on an 8 yard drive after a Calvin Johnson fumble. Tech D held them to 3 field goals and that HUGE stop at the end, and thats why we won the game.

4) Miami: Again, just 2 TD's allowed in this one. 1 by their defense on a fumble return; the other late in the game on a botched tackle when the game was just about wrapped up. Despite 10-0 and 13-3 deficits, the Jackets D stiffened allowing a comeback. 3 field goals for over 57 minutes of the game, until the last one by their TE Olsen.

5) N.C. State: Okay, they aren't as good as the others here. But when you beat BC and Florida State, you get some respect. The Wolfpack crossed the goal line twice; once on an interception return and another on Blackman's 95 yard kick return to open the 2nd half. The Jackets stingy defense allowed a grand total of ZERO offensive touchdowns. On a Reggie pick that State returned to our 26, the D forced a field goal. Also, they stopped State on that last drive inside our 30.

An interesting fact is that in our last 3 wins, we have given up a total of 4 non-offensive touchdowns. 2 kick returns (MD, NCSU), an interception return (NCSU) and a fumble return (Miami) and still managed to win all 3 ballgames! Usually, those types of scores mean the difference in close games. It's a testament to Coach Tenuta and the heart of those guys to buckle down and pick up the slack when the offense and special teams struggle.

On a lighter note, it seems our trend lately is to give up a non-offensive TD, 3 field goals, and 23 points. But if UNC and Duke score 23, I may jump right out of the upper East stands into the defensive huddle. :laugher:

gtfan1147 said:
1) Notre Dame: Allowed just 14 points. One TD on a long drive at the end of the first half. Only other TD came on a drive extended by a penalty

And you may take note that 14 points against GT are the least points scored by ND all season to date.

romegajacket said:
And you may take note that 14 points against GT are the least points scored by ND all season to date.

And then they knocked the rust off.

LongforDodd said:

There are those of us who see the beer glass "half empty", and there are those who see the beer glass "half full".

And then there are those who see the beer glass "completely full of goat barf".

LongforDodd said:
Man I guess our D really sucks, it wasn't their performance that held ND to 14 points, it was because ND's O was still rusty. That is the biggest load of crap I have heard on here in a long time. Are you actually serious? Just have to turn every positive into a negative don't you?

LongforDodd said:

You're absolutely right. Our defense had NOTHING to do with ND only scoring 14 points. They shouldn't get an ounce of credit because gosh knows they don't deserve it. Only ND was responsible for keeping themselves from scoring more points.

Sarcasm mode: OFF

Sorry, but there were TWO teams on the field that day and two sets of coaches and both of them had something to do with the results of that game. We did a good job of keeping ND off balance which kept them from being more successful. They made mistakes just as we did.

LongforDodd said:

Last time I checked, rust worked both ways. If both teams came in rusty (because it was the first game of the year), you can't claim rust as a factor on one team and not the other.

I could just as easily say that it's utterly amazing that GT only gave up 14 points to ND, despite the fact that they were rusty from the off-season.

See?

You know, I don't really long for Dodd, but I do long for you to shut up.

I still have yet to see a LongforDodd post that didn't take the most pessimisstic view possible on our team.

Back