King or Bulovas?

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Any kicker that has been on our campus lately (post-Butker cannot be trusted to make a kick.)

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Loved watching Bulluvas miss that.

Hate watching King do anything.

P.S. if you’re name’s not Wesley then you suck!

gtgtgt1

Dodd-Like
Just wait for the 2nd round when he lines up to tie it again...

18in32

Petard Hoister
I just posted this in another thread... by why wasn't Wells given more chances this year? He was 9/9 on FG's last year and 39/39 on PAT's last year. This year he was 0/1 on FG's while Brenton King was 3/7 on FG's.

(For their careers, Brenton King is 9/17 on FG's, and Wells is 9/10 on FG's.)

It seems like Wells must have gotten sideways with CGC or another coach, because this doesn't make any sense. Regardless what you're seeing in practice, when your kicker is under 50% (and a lot of King's misses have been relatively short kicks), you gotta give the other guy a chance, particularly when he has a long history of kicking really well.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I just posted this in another thread... by why wasn't Wells given more chances this year? He was 9/9 on FG's last year and 39/39 on PAT's last year. This year he was 0/1 on FG's while Brenton King was 3/7 on FG's.

It seems like Wells must have gotten sideways with CGC or another coach, because this doesn't make any sense. Regardless what you're seeing in practice, when your kicker is under 50% (and a lot of King's misses have been relatively short kicks), you gotta give the other guy a chance, particularly when he has a long history of kicking really well.

Who knows. I don’t get to watch them at practice. But missing a PAT (at college distance) could be an indication.

Last year is no guarantee for this year, and this year is now last year.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like

Wesley Wells was 1-3 on field goals this year and 1-2 on extra points. If he's getting beaten out in practice, kicking like that in games, and when you watch him warm up he's making around 50% of his kicks from the 30 - 40 yard range with no oncoming rush, how many chances do you expect him to get?

18in32

Petard Hoister
Wesley Wells was 1-3 on field goals this year and 1-2 on extra points. If he's getting beaten out in practice, kicking like that in games, and when you watch him warm up he's making around 50% of his kicks from the 30 - 40 yard range with no oncoming rush, how many chances do you expect him to get?
Over the course of their careers, King has missed twice as many PAT's as Wells (2 to 1), and eight times as many FG's as Wells (8 to 1). But you characterize this situation by saying it would be unreasonable to give Wells more chances? Huh?

The reality is that we had a perfect kicker last year and for some reason the new regime decided to let him kick one FG when our other kicker was hitting 50% of his kicks. The only explanation, IMHO, is that he got sideways with the coaches.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective!), kicking woes have been a minor footnote to this fiasco of a season, so it's not like the season hung in the balance on this.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Over the course of their careers, King has missed twice as many PAT's as Wells (2 to 1), and eight times as many FG's as Wells (8 to 1). But you characterize this situation by saying it would be unreasonable to give Wells more chances? Huh?

The reality is that we had a perfect kicker last year and for some reason the new regime decided to let him kick one FG when our other kicker was hitting 50% of his kicks. The only explanation, IMHO, is that he got sideways with the coaches.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective!), kicking woes have been a minor footnote to this fiasco of a season, so it's not like the season hung in the balance on this.
I don’t think he’s sideways with them. If I had to guess, this staff came in and evaluated everyone through practice. I’m fine with that. The issue is that King has proven he is not the guy in games. The problem is that Wells screwed his chance to take over by screwing up in game situations too. So this staff sees Wells as someone who apparently practices bad and then doesn’t use a game opportunity to take the job.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I don’t think he’s sideways with them. If I had to guess, this staff came in and evaluated everyone through practice. I’m fine with that. The issue is that King has proven he is not the guy in games. The problem is that Wells screwed his chance to take over by screwing up in game situations too. So this staff sees Wells as someone who apparently practices bad and then doesn’t use a game opportunity to take the job.
How can Wells missing one kick be proof he didn't take the opportunity, but King missing three (now four) kicks not be proof of that, too?

It's an old adage that some players play better than they practice. Is that true? Who knows? Who cares?

King sucks and a guy with a much better track record of making kicks was only allowed to kick once all year. That makes absolutely no sense.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
We need a kicker who can kick out the back of the endzone. Fair catches have helped us, but teams who know how bad our kick coverage is are going to return kicks. We need accuracy and a big leg

gtfan088

Dodd-Like

I'm not sure how predictive last year's performance is of future results. I get the notion that "some guys just have it in games" but 10 kicks isn't a huge sample size. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Wells because he's shown he can do it before. Just not sure that 9/9 number from last year means he's a great kicker.

He has not looked good this year in the limited opportunities--missed PAT, missed kick, bad kickoffs out of bounds, etc. Even King, as terrible as he's looked, hasn't had that many opportunities. Our offense has been so bad that we're rarely in position to try a field goal.