King, Wells and Hansen gone

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
Still don’t understand Wells’ drop off.
If I remember correctly his kicking motion looked kind of wonky at times last year (edit: I meant 2018), despite his results. It makes me wonder if maybe in the off season (before 2019) he was working on making his technique more textbook, and it just messed up his mojo. Either that or getting benched at the start of the year got in his head.

Or probably any numerous other things that could have happened on or off the field because I admittedly don’t know much of anything about kicking technique or Wells.

Last edited:

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
I thank them for their service. Wells had an awesome missless 2018 season. I think King made a few good kicks for us too.

Say what you will about them but they never blew games as big as Goggles did

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Or he regressed so badly in practice there was no need. Our kickers were shanking kicks pregame all season.
I think this is an astute assessment. You can never be sure a great kicker in practice will be great when the game is on the line, but it's a safe bet that shanks in practice predict shanks in live play. I'm glad to see our coaches have been proactive about it rather than waiting for these guys to graduate to work toward a solution.

81BME

Flats Noob
No big deal with the attrition there.

But while we are discussing the matter, who was better, Butker or Sisson?
Seems like Eeee. Oooh. Wheeler was our kicker for 10 years. He has to be in this pole.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
i Don’t like it
There's nothing to "not like here" per se.

Hansen has battled injury, and is likely graduating as he is a Senior. His is probably more like a medical retirement.

King is graduating in May and has already accepted a job for after graduation, so he is basically leaving on his own.

Wells was offered a 1yr scholarship last year for his performance in 2018 because we had one to give. We are already tight on numbers for 2020, and with his lack of performance last year, he assuredly knew he would not still be on scholarship still. He likely could've stayed on as a walk-on as he had been before, but apparently he hasn't been able to sort out the mental part of his kicking game and that may be what's leading him to hang it up.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Wells hardly got a shot to turn around like 1 or 2 missed early kicks. Complete BS.
If you read any practice reports, he most definitely had the "yips" last year. He couldn't consistently hit the broad side of a barn, even in practice. You don't keep trotting a guy out there like that regardless of what he did the previous year. And like JJ said, if you were at any games last year, you would have seen in pre-game he hit a LOT of shanks.