Larry Munson

that would probably be booed

Hopefully. It would be nice if we could take the initiative and play calls from previous U[sic]GA games where we won but I know that's not part of the Gold Standard.

Only StingTalk could turn something this sad into something this funny.

This is what I don't get. Why the hell is it so sad? Why are so many people in freaking mourning?! The man announced football games...that's IT! It just goes to show you how priorities in SEC Country are so backwards.

A football announcer dies...and it's like the entire country and sports journalism world should stop everything to honor him. I just don't get it. He was 89 years old. His death probably saves his family a lot of money in long-term care. He was probably happy he was dying, why exactly are all these people weeping over him? The emotional maturity of SEC fanbases is ridiculously low. It's why you trash talking can lead to fights, or why people would stoop to poisoning a living thing over a game between men in brightly colored costumes.

To me UGA-GT isn't a rivalry just about oh you went to GT, I root for UGA, because that's what we do. It's something much bigger than that. It's a rivalry about restoring order to the world of college athletics. It's about taking it to the cheaters, to the Dooleys, to the people who want to produce post office workers, to those that give their players' parents cash, to those that give players free suits, and then have their administration write a cease and desist letter. It's about keeping the student first in student athletics. The young men who accept the challenge of coming to Georgia Tech over a place like Georgia, or Auburn, or some other big time southeast party school should be commended not just by us, but by anyone who values college athletics for what it was meant to be. Sure our players take management and not engineering, but management from GT is worth a hell of a lot more to most employers than some toilet paper degree from the likes of UGA. There's a reason it's red and black vs white and gold. It's the evil of college sports vs the good. And the worst part is the evil has the support of the arbiter in the NCAA. And if you don't like evil vs good, then it's those concerned with the bottomline and whoring out these young men to sell tickets and get donations (red and black) vs institutions like GT that actually give a damn when it comes to getting them somewhere in life. We don't just take young men and "teach them to read and write," we take qualified young men, with the highest average SAT scores of any football team in the nation and highest GPA's (as of 2008 ), who represent our university on the football field, in the classroom, and then in the world. No other in-state/great rivalry boasts this kind of clash.

In 2008 74% of UGA's athletes in general (doesn't even get into specifics on football so you know they aren't hurting that average...probably upwwards of 85% of the team) were special admits...74 ööööING PERCENT! What the hell is that?! Is this college athletics or semi-pro football?

This is what I don't get. Why the hell is it so sad? Why are so many people in freaking mourning?! The man announced football games...that's IT! It just goes to show you how priorities in SEC Country are so backwards.

A football announcer dies...and it's like the entire country and sports journalism world should stop everything to honor him. I just don't get it. He was 89 years old. His death probably saves his family a lot of money in long-term care. He was probably happy he was dying, why exactly are all these people weeping over him? The emotional maturity of SEC fanbases is ridiculously low. It's why you trash talking can lead to fights, or why people would stoop to poisoning a living thing over a game between men in brightly colored costumes.

To me UGA-GT isn't a rivalry just about oh you went to GT, I root for UGA, because that's what we do. It's something much bigger than that. It's a rivalry about restoring order to the world of college athletics. It's about taking it to the cheaters, to the Dooleys, to the people who want to produce post office workers, to those that give their players' parents cash, to those that give players free suits, and then have their administration write a cease and desist letter. It's about keeping the student first in student athletics. The young men who accept the challenge of coming to Georgia Tech over a place like Georgia, or Auburn, or some other big time southeast party school should be commended not just by us, but by anyone who values college athletics for what it was meant to be. Sure our players take management and not engineering, but management from GT is worth a hell of a lot more to most employers than some toilet paper degree from the likes of UGA. There's a reason it's red and black vs white and gold. It's the evil of college sports vs the good. And the worst part is the evil has the support of the arbiter in the NCAA. And if you don't like evil vs good, then it's those concerned with the bottomline and whoring out these young men to sell tickets and get donations (red and black) vs institutions like GT that actually give a damn when it comes to getting them somewhere in life. We don't just take young men and "teach them to read and write," we take qualified young men, with the highest average SAT scores of any football team in the nation and highest GPA's (as of 2008 ), who represent our university on the football field, in the classroom, and then in the world. No other in-state/great rivalry boasts this kind of clash.

In 2008 74% of UGA's athletes in general (doesn't even get into specifics on football so you know they aren't hurting that average...probably upwwards of 85% of the team) were special admits...74 ööööING PERCENT! What the hell is that?! Is this college athletics or semi-pro football?

Hear hear. +1. This.

Hear hear. +1. This.

Yes, most of us are engineers and by nature are practical. This isn't a tragedy, the man lived a long full life and died at age 89. There is nothing unique or tragic about it, we should all be so lucky to live for 89 years and molest a few women and kill a handful of hookers along the way

This is what I don't get. Why the hell is it so sad?

The rest of your post seems to be directed at someone else. Death is sad. I have to deal with death more than some in my daily life at the moment. I've lost a couple of friends out here in Afghanistan. Guys with jobs like "drives a truck" and "loads a truck". I had an english teacher at my first high school who got hit by a train and died. I had another english teacher who died when her aorta exploded over toast at breakfast. So, I've seen it from a couple of angles. Not that it takes any extensive experience to know this, but it's death, man, it's sad. You don't have to be an extraordinary person to have an effect on those around you when you die.

I'm not saying we should stop making fun of him, he WAS a mutt, 'nuff said. But yeah, death is sad. Fact.

But yeah, death is sad. Fact.

"The smallest sprout shows there is really no death,
And if ever there was it led forward life, and does not wait at the
end to arrest it,
And ceas'd the moment life appear'd.

All goes onward and outward, nothing collapses,
And to die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier."

- Walt Whitman

Well of course, there's qualifiers. If you're Irish, death is a damn good party.

The rest of your post seems to be directed at someone else. Death is sad. I have to deal with death more than some in my daily life at the moment. I've lost a couple of friends out here in Afghanistan. Guys with jobs like "drives a truck" and "loads a truck". I had an english teacher at my first high school who got hit by a train and died. I had another english teacher who died when her aorta exploded over toast at breakfast. So, I've seen it from a couple of angles. Not that it takes any extensive experience to know this, but it's death, man, it's sad. You don't have to be an extraordinary person to have an effect on those around you when you die.

I'm not saying we should stop making fun of him, he WAS a mutt, 'nuff said. But yeah, death is sad. Fact.

Well Munson lived a full, fun life and lived to 89. Plus, he had a pretty cush job. The people you talk about were cut down in their prime.

Asymmetric warfare sucks, there really are no more rear echelons. Driving a truck in Afghanistan would make me öööö a brick. If it's not the terrain, it's the little armed bastards hiding out.

Sudden death is sad. War-caused death is sadder still.

Death at 89 is what is supposed to happen. If you are human, then you will die. We as a society need to come to grips with that.

I think there's a huge difference between things like an aorta exploding or death in the military and dying of old age after you've been sick for a really long time and everyone can see it coming.

If, say, Richt was hit by a bus or something, I do not think you would see Tech fans joking around nearly as much (if at all), even though Richt is even more vilified by our fanbase than Munson.

Well, the two english teachers were 48 and 65 respectively. I can see your points that it's not a tragedy, I'm not saying that it is. People die all the time, and he went about the best way you can, old and naturally. There are still going to be plenty of people who actually mourn him though, not just bulldog fans. If you lose a good friend, a grandfather, a father, or a long time co-worker, it doesn't matter if they were 5 or 95, you're gonna feel it. This guy had plenty of time to rack up a large number of those. I still think his death is a sad thing, just on that virtue alone.

But like I've said before, he was a mutt, and nothing about him being dead changes that. This and other threads have been hilarious, and I wish I would have had the timing to contribute. I would have called into that podcast and made Munson jokes all day long, because that could easily be the most epic trollification of UGAy fans in history. Definitely worth it. In short, carry on, StingTalk. :biggthumpup:

Sudden death is sad. War-caused death is sadder still.

Death at 89 is what is supposed to happen. If you are human, then you will die. We as a society need to come to grips with that.
Yeah after burying my Mother at 89 and my Uncle at 87 you do realize its a part of life.Larry Munson was good announcer and didnt hurt us any at all.Grief for the family is normal at this time but aint downing the man for his relationship with the pups.

Munsons greatest calls, including "they look like they might score 150 on us" and "we cant stop them" as well as "we look like Wake Forrest or Maryland or Somebody"

[y]O5CLeU2mFsk[/y]

That would be awesome, if they gave a tribute to Munson at halftime by playing a bunch of clips of him calling GT touchdowns and wins.

That would be awesome, if they gave a tribute to Munson at halftime by playing a bunch of clips of him calling GT touchdowns and wins.

öööö that.

That's not our history. It's theirs.

Do you think they'd play a bunch of Wes Durham calls when he passes away? HELL no.

If, say, Richt was hit by a bus or something, I do not think you would see Tech fans joking around nearly as much (if at all), even though Richt is even more vilified by our fanbase than Munson.

Looks like Richt didnt...
800-brace-for-impact.jpg

/You give us WAY too much credit.

It is sad that Larry Munson died, sad for his family and for UGA fans. As a Tech fan I have to admit he must have been good at what he did - when UGA was winning I could not stand to hear him. When UGA was losing I loved to hear him. Living in NC when I would see UGA was about to lose a night game, I would go to the car to hear Larry call the end of the game on WSB.

Should Tech acknowledge his death this week? I wish I could say "yes". It would be very classy to acknowledge his passing, ask for a moment of silence, play a great clip UGA fans would love - Herschell at Tenn, "it's raining sugar from the sky", or "run, Lindsey, run". Then, say that Larry had a few calls near and dear to Tech fans - and play one of them. We remember a legend and everyone gets a big cheer.

Unfortunately, I fear too many of our fans would boo any recognition of Munson and we would really come off looking bad. Unless I thought our fans could pull off mentioning Munson with dignity and class, we would be better off to make no mention of him.

öööö that.

That's not our history. It's theirs.

Do you think they'd play a bunch of Wes Durham calls when he passes away? HELL no.

You don't think it would be great to hear the voice of Munson saying the stuff he said in that clip?
"Tech's offense at this moment is just brilliant to watch!" "They're just disecting our defense" "We just can't stop them" "They are really making this look easy." "They're breaking tackles because they're too big and too strong for us"
I'd love to hear those quotes sampled and played at random over the PA during long offensive drives.

Back