Last nights telecast at the Homestead

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
From the Homestead here in the Blueridge mountains of Virginia I viewed multiple picturesque scans of BDS @ HGF with the ATL skyline and crowd displayed in yellow. The scene looked as great on TV as the result on the scoreboard. My observations:

1) "Announced attendance" (that means tickets sold BTW) was 51k and change.

2) I'd say it was about 80% full which puts about 44k in acutal attendance. (In otherwords, about 5k dawg fans didn't show up).

3) Crowd was late arriving, likely due to the after work traffic on 75/85 thru downtown.

4) The upper corners were sparse and the upper north EZ looked about 65% of capcity.

5) Gold seats -- sometimes they looked "full" last night, or at least more full than I've ever seen before. Let me explain. First they are always empty for coming out of breaks/timeouts, halftime, pregame. I imagine people are knocking their drinks back in the stadium club and warming up. But when they showed the seats during game play (like before the 4th and 1 at the end of the game) they looked 75% full to me. I could be wrong. Still it would be better if they were full (tired subject) all the time.

6) The crowd was vocal and relatively loud.

7) The students had a strong showing for a weeknight and looked good for the TV. Several were skinned up and painted. The south EZ wasn't full however (is it too far to walk?).

8) Joe Hamilton was interviewed in the first quarter. Looked great, sounded great. He is apparently working out at Tech waiting for the phone to ring. Said he talks to Reggie weekly and also talked about how height doesn't matter, winning does.

9) NASCAR fans got a nice surprise when Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson were interviewed on the sidelines before the half. I think they were guests of Chan Gailey.

10) Ralph had a good pregame interview and credited Tech as being a part in allowing him to get where he is today. Ralph is quality.

11) Tirico was solid on the play by play as usual. Herbstriet and Corso did their familiar schtick, as they have become the Dicky V of college football. They puff up everybody they can; its nice when your team is getting the praise. They do have a freaky knack of jinxing people. When they announced Reggie had thrown 73 passes without an interception, Reggie promtly threw one. They said Novak was 100% inside 40 yards and then he missed the 39 yarder. They did it again to Reggie before a delay penalty in the 4th quarter. Pretty funny stuff, really.

12) Always good to get highlights of a win and an on field interview on Sports Center. You can't buy better this kind of positive exposure.

13) I told folks at work this morning that the game was probably like getting wisdom teeth pulled if you didn't care for either school (they agreed). But I thought the game was thrilling and fantastic.

Agree with your review, except for #13. The UPS man stopped by the house today and asked how the game finished up last night (Flags are still flying proudly in the yard). He said he was too tired to watch the whole game but loved what he saw.

Back