Late thoughts on Vandy game

Axe

Flats Noob
Just wanted to discuss a few random thoughts about the Vandy game. Haven't had a chance till now.

1. I've heard a lot of discussion about tailgating, gameday colors, band, etc., but I have to say that I thought Saturday was the best gameday atmosphere I've seen at GT for a non-"big" game. There were plenty of people tailgating, wearing gold and I thought the stadium was rocking early considering the opponent. I was very impressed and you can really tell the difference.

2. In regards to running the football to the left, I've seen a number of folks say they are worried about how much we ran to the left. I don't see it as a big deal. Our 2 best OLs are on the left side and that is where we are going to run. If the defense wants to overload and play the left side fine, we'll run right but that means they are going to be weak on our right side. That's fine.

Also remember that when we are running left, the right side of the line isn't playing board games, they are blocking their butts off. Take a look at Hollings long TD run to the left. Roberts-Blake pulled out from his RG spot and destroyed the mike LB. That block was just as important as Big Nat's

3. Glover and Watkins really showed me something big time. I have to admit that I had gotten used to seeing great WR play at practice and forgotten how good these guys were. When Smith and hopefully Curry get back we should be in real good shape. Bridges has great speed and hands so he could be a factor as well. Thomas needs to work on catching the football, but he showed a lot of explosion out there.

4. I was very happy to see the work of the 2nd team OL. This is still a question mark on the team, but I continue to say that the second team OL is better than it's been in recent years. I can't remember many games besides Navy '01 when the second team OL was productive and moved the football. I think some of those guys have a lot of talent and could develop as we move along.

5. Overall, very crisp performance. Yes, Vanderbilt is bad, but I've seen GT play a lot of bad teams over the last 15 years and I thought that may have been the most dominating performance I've seen. First time, I really saw our depth standout.

Can't wait for UCONN. Go Jackets!

Buzz4him -

I saw lots of gold, too, and liked most of it. The gold I saw that I wasn't happy about was the gold chair backs I saw in the lower east "premium" section. I saw a lot of these chairbacks for most of the game. I was sitting in the upper west and saw a lot of empty seats in this section. Overall, I thought this was a well-attended game for a non-conf opener, but these are season ticket holders who aren't showing up and leaving these seats empty. This is a bit disconcerting to me as I think about the future - if people don't show up when there's no extra charge for these seats, who will show up when there is?

GO JACKETS!!

Good point AJ. I noticed that too from the lower west.

I think the BYU game will be a much better barometer. They should win this weekend and move into the top 25.

"When" we beat Clemson that will put us top 25, and will be a top 25 matchup.

I would hope and expect to see a lot of Gold on the 21st and not many empty chairs. Also a REAL LOUD atmoshphere.

In regards to running the football to the left, I've seen a number of folks say they are worried about how much we ran to the left. I don't see it as a big deal. Our 2 best OLs are on the left side and that is where we are going to run. If the defense wants to overload and play the left side fine, we'll run right but that means they are going to be weak on our right side. That's fine.

Also remember that when we are running left, the right side of the line isn't playing board games, they are blocking their butts off. Take a look at Hollings long TD run to the left. Roberts-Blake pulled out from his RG spot and destroyed the mike LB. That block was just as important as Big Nat's
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">On other point about running left is that Hollings likes to carry the ball with his left hand (he must be left handed), and running left means he'll be taking more hits from his right side, which means less chance of fumble.
I don't like to see him running right with the ball in his left hand; scares me.

Actually, we ran right a good bit. It was just that the 'big gainers' came on runs to the left. We fought for yardage on the right side, but the left side was caving in the D line & giving Hollings a chance to veer off & turn the corner on the D backs. Hollings had 5-6 yd gains BEFORE he even started to veer outside. Excellent blocking on the left side (WR, TE, LT, LG, C) & excellent running off the blocks.

It's Wednesday!!!! What the heck are you doing posting this so late?
wink.gif
Joking!

Agree with you on atmosphere. Some people have come up with some negatives from there point of view, but the atmosphere from where I was sitting was awesome.

Might have seen the post on either here or Hive regarding the little league teams sitting in the north stands. Well some of them wondered over under the West. My guess is because the concessions were better at this point. Spoke with the young guys (would say they were middle school age) getting a drink. One young man said, "This place is rock'n." About that time we looked up to the TV as Kelly Rhino was making a guy miss on a punt return. Could feel the stands under there as the noise volume went up and up.This was before he broke his longest. The group of young guys took off running to get back to see the action ASAP. POOF they were gone. Seriously doubt any of those young guys had ever been to BDS before.

The atmosphere was great for a blow out win against Vandy who didn't bring many fans.

I loved the buzz jumbotron clip followed by the wreck and team taking the field. Did you see how pumped up Glover was running onto the field. I thought the place was electric.

You mentioned Navy '01.

That is what this game reminded me of. Also, as bad as they are, I do think Vandy is a little better than last year's Navy team and will probably win a couple of games.

Of course we ended up 7-5 last season. So I'm real cautious about predicting great things this season based on that one game alone. The potential is there, but we have to execute.

You are right that such a performance against ANYONE is pretty impressive. We didn't play like that against the Citadel last year, nor Duke. The only performance in the Lewis and O'Leary eras that comes close is Navy 2001.

We just have to build on it, and sooner or later the team is going to have to show that they can gut up and win close ones.

I was also VERY impressed with the WR's. These guys are very athletically gifted. Those catches reminded me of the ones that FSU made against us in 2000. There is just nothing the defender can do when the ball is that well thrown and the receiver is that good.

I also agree about the atmosphere. It was fantastic for a game where we were three-TD favorites. I can't wait to see what it will be this season for BYU, UVA and FSU.

And if we win 9 or 10 this year, imagine what the campus atmosphere will be like next season for the Auburn opener with the new stadium completed. Wow.

I would really like for more people to make an effort to get to Yellowjacket Alley though. I'm going to do what little tiny bit I can to get people over there, and I hope some others do the same.

Good thread. I have to agree with the crispness of our team as well.

Regardless of who we were playing, they were a 1-A opponent and we just executed well above 1st game form. Agree that it looked a lot like Navy last year.

That is why I was confused coming back and seeing all the posts saying "yeah, we won, but it was against Vanderbilt."

People need to note the points you make re: Citadel, Central Fla., et. al.

Did you see how we continued to look just as crisp, just as fast, and just as dominating when the 2nd stringers came in?

Also, the color at the game was beautiful as well. There was gold everywhere in the stands. Old gold, yellow gold, gameday gold, it all meshed together into on vast sea of gold and white. I don't ever remember seeing our stands looking that good.

Back