latest on expansion

law_bee

Dodd-Like
this is from Mikeysurf on UVA's board. He is labeled a legit insider along w/ MMA1 from fsu's board and there is one other guy whom I cannot recall

Here is what I have been told... Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there is much frustration between the presidents at the moment. Part of it has to do with how "hard lined" the positions have become. Duke and Carolina's unwillingness to entertain a 12-team league regardless of the modfications that have been proposed. UVa's political difficulties seem insurmountable and most within the council accept Casteen's situation. The anxiety over a 13-team league and NC State's apparent retreat from the proposal before an adequate review could take place. And now, Carolina's new position of recommending the league take only Miami and defer any additional expansion for the time being.

All of this has presented an aura of malcontent among the presidents. Plus, Swofford's inability to effectively navigate this process has left matters in a state of disgust.

Now, despite all of this confusion at the moment, my sources continue to believe some form of expansion will take place. A meeting is planned for tomorrow and the presidents will discuss each scenario, individually. This means the merits of: 1) a 10-team league with (Miami only) 2) a 12-team league with (Miami, BC, and Syracuse) 3) a 13-team league, with the projections of a 14-team league in the near future (the three school and VT).

Why will expansion happen, despite the current level of aggrevation with one another? Essentially because the ACC will NEVER get another chance at Miami, again. More importantly, the league fully knows EVERY conference in the nation will tighten their by-laws to ensure the "cost to exit" will come with significant financial pain. Plus, a nine-team league does not solve their projected financial problem of a reduction in broadcast fees for the upcoming f'ball contract, expected to be a pay-out less than what the per school take of a 12-team conference would be.

From my own selfish point of view, I really hope when this matter is resolved some significant "pain" is injected upon Carolina and Duke. Most close to the process will agree that their selfish behavior is the primary reason matters have not been resolved.

Duke's view of the world is an anti-f'ball perspective. Guess that is what the end result of a 25-game conference losing streak. Carolina is pure and simple greed!! They are sitting on a $150 million athletic endowment and complaining about how the reduction in ACC tournament tickets, resulting from a 12-team conference, will have a major impact on their annual fundraising.

With the clock ticking, expect some type of compromise to emerge within the next few days.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">http://virginia.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=178&mid=19270581&sid=&tid=19270581&style=1

At this point, I think a reasonable strategy would be for representatives from Tech, Clemson, and FSU to start holding some "not so secret" meetings to determine an alternative conference alignment......Put some heat on the "blue-bloods" in NC....

Nothing would please me more than to wake up some morning and read that Tech, FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT, Syracuse, NCSU, and a few others have said the **** with it, we're not participating in this nonsense ANY MORE !!!!!

....and subsequently leave UNC and DOOk scrambling for a conference !!

Originally posted by Gold Rush:
At this point, I think a reasonable strategy would be for representatives from Tech, Clemson, and FSU to start holding some "not so secret" meetings to determine an alternative conference alignment......Put some heat on the "blue-bloods" in NC....

Nothing would please me more than to wake up some morning and read that Tech, FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT, Syracuse, NCSU, and a few others have said the **** with it, we're not participating in this nonsense ANY MORE !!!!!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gold: This is a disgrace and I couldn't agree with you more about taking action ourselves. I have to believe there has to be a way out for Tech, FSU, Clemson! I know in the end NO MATTER the outcome I WILL HAVE GREAT CONTEMPT FOR DOOK, TARHOLES AND VIRGINIE!!!!!!!!! I hope they all suffer great humiliation!
mad.gif

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gold: This is a disgrace and I couldn't agree with you more about taking action ourselves. I have to believe there has to be a way out for Tech, FSU, Clemson! I know in the end NO MATTER the outcome I WILL HAVE GREAT CONTEMPT FOR DOOK, TARHOLES AND VIRGINIE!!!!!!!!! I hope they all suffer great humiliation!
mad.gif

Goldrush, I couldn't agree more. I posted similar sentiments under a different heading and if the cost of exit is not too steep I think we should proceed immediately to see what options we have.

I agree with all the posts above. It is now time to take matters into our own hands and control our destiny. Before the rainstorm of the century hit up in Blacksburg, the atmosphere was fantastic. Would bring a pretty good rivalry. If we, FSU, Clemson and Maryland bolted to join BC and Miami - well you get the picture. Time to ditch Duke once and for all. The nightmare scenario is having the French sabatoge expansion, watching the SEC snatch Miami. You can bet the lawyers are going to be buildiing iron clad lock down agreements after the next go round. If Tech and FSU are to move, we have to do it quickly. Let's join a conference with a playoff and football mentality. Otherwise we could end up on the outside looking in.

......andthe time to do it is NOW...

Enough of this BS allready......Its kind of like when you are selling your house.....and the buyer has a few demands initially --&gt; so you concede in order to sell the house...After that agreement they want you to do a few more things.....getting uneasy, but you concede again, because after all, you DO want to sell the house....Then they hit you again with a bunch of BS...Rather than continuing the bS, you cut bait because the writing is clearly on the wall..

I think we're at that point....ENOUGH

The blue-bloods can put this whole thing where the sun doesn't shine....

Lets get it on and form a great conference - FAR better than the expanded version of the ACC..

Do our "decision makers" have the
blue.gif
's to do it ???
(ps, thats a ball, not a smiley face

How sweet would it be for UVA, DOOK and UNC to be scrambling and left behind in this whole affair ?????????

......andthe time to do it is NOW...

Enough of this BS allready......Its kind of like when you are selling your house.....and the buyer has a few demands initially --&gt; so you concede in order to sell the house...After that agreement they want you to do a few more things.....getting uneasy, but you concede again, because after all, you DO want to sell the house....Then they hit you again with a bunch of BS...Rather than continuing the bS, you cut bait because the writing is clearly on the wall..

I think we're at that point....ENOUGH

The blue-bloods can put this whole thing where the sun doesn't shine....

Lets get it on and form a great conference - FAR better than the expanded version of the ACC..

Do our "decision makers" have the
blue.gif
's to do it ???
(ps, thats a ball, not a smiley face

How sweet would it be for UVA, DOOK and UNC to be scrambling and left behind in this whole affair ?????????
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Great post and wrote something similar on one of the other threads! Who takes the first step to get the ball rolling? I would love to see GT be the first - we need something positive right now and I believe this fan base would see that in a very positive move!!!

Back