Let's take a look at who Coach Geis will be coaching.

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
Let\'s take a look at who Coach Geis will be coaching.

This list doesn't include Chris Dunlap from Miramar Fl, who will join the WR corp in the fall.

Just thought I'd bring up our guys for discussion before spring practice starts.

#85 Lekeldrick Bridges- So., 6-0 165lbs from Dallas TX. Tech's fastest WR. In 2002 11 rec. for 198yrds. and 1TD. Avg 18 yrds/catch.

# 5 Nate Curry- RS Jr., 5-10 195lbs from Miami FL. Coming back from ACL and other injuries. In 2002 1 rec. for 7yrds.

#12 Mark Logan- RS Jr., 5-11 195lbs from Greenwood SC. In 2002 had 6 rec. for 55yrds.

#15 Brian Hernandez- RS Fr., 5-11 175lbs from Phoenix AZ. No Additional info provided.

#81 Xavier McGuire- RS Fr., 6-3 205lbs from Dallas TX. Tallest of GT's WR corps.

#23 Robbie Rollins- RS So., 6-215lbs from Lyons GA. Walkon.

#16 Charlie Saunders- RS Jr., 5-9 160lbs from Alpharetta GA. Walkon who played in one game in 2002. His father built my brother's home in Canton GA. Charlie did the drawings. He's majoring in Architecture at GT.

#12 Johathan Smith- Sr., 5-10 189lbs from Argyle GA. 96 receptions for 1,100 yrds in his career at GT. Ranks him 11th in receptions and 14th in yardage in GT history.

#7 Levon Thomas- Jr., 6-195lbs from College Park GA. in 2002 had 20 rec. from 222yrds. and 1TD.

If you posters want I'll bring up a different positon every few day for us to talk about. Just thought it would be fun to start with WR since Coach Geis just came on board.

GO JACKETS!

Re: Let\'s take a look at who Coach Geis will be coaching.

Wait a minute, we've got an architecture major playing football! Alright!

drinking.gif
blue.gif

Originally posted by goldeagle:
Wait a minute, we've got an architecture major playing football! Alright!

drinking.gif
blue.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yeah, had to throw that out there. That's dedication!!

Hey, Terrif!!, I for one am greatly enthused about the upcoming year. I know the schedule will be tough, but I know also that we have some fine kids who will give their all and some coaches that will work hard and much above average and I believe, succeed in the oncoming year. Let's whoop it up!!!! I (regardless of the naysaying naybobs of perpetual pessimism and misery) am optimistic about our coaching staff and team!!!!!!!!!! And they say........NO!!!!!
I say, "Hide and watch"!!!!!!!!

TOTALLY agree Techsamillion! I think we'll definitely see improved play in all phases of the game this year whether or not the W-L record improves considering our VERY tough schedule.

At any rate, as far as WR go I would think our big go-to guy HAS to be J. Smith. He's our big playmaker. I would think he's gonna get double teamed more than a time or two. Of course that could well be the case for L. Bridges as well considering his speed. We're gonna need improved play from Thomas and Logan for sure. I would think Thomas would be our # 3 receiver unless Curry just shows drastic improvement over last year. I think the rest of the slots are gonna be up for grabs and considering the talent and potential of these guys esp. Maguire I'm hoping for not TOO much dropoff from last season.

Needless to say J. Smith has GOT to be the big leader here.

Just my stupid two cents.

smile.gif

I'm hoping at least one of those guys turns into the kind of receiver who can just go get the ball. We haven't had somebody like that in a while IMO, you know make a bad throw look good, or go up over the defender and take it away. Sometimes the QB just has to trust the receiver will win the battle and throw it up, especially in one on one coverage.

GOOD THREAD!! Glad to see some CONSTRUCTIVE, POSITIVE stuff on this board!!

NCJacket (btw, I enjoy your posts!) I feel like Bridges has shown flashes of being the kind of guy that can as you say "go get the ball." He's big and rangy and has the speed and reach to compensate for inaccurate passes. I gotta feel like Maguire could be like that as well, but he's gonna be seeing the field for the first time so he's a total unknown at this point.

Curry could be key for the unit as a whole. A healthy Nate Curry could take alot of pressure off J. Smith and L. Bridges AND Levon Thomas.

I gotta feel like whatever kind of offense we use this season it will play to our strengths on that side of the ball. I would think that the speed and reliability of these WR's should be one of those strengths, so maybe some quick outs or whatever we've gotta do to get the balls in their hands. We'll see..

Again, GREAT thread and this will be fun to talk about different positions heading into Spring practice when we should know more!

Brian Hernandez has transferred to some school close to home. I don't recall the school, however.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
Brian Hernandez has transferred to some school close to home. I don't recall the school, however.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks Big Buck for the info.

No doubt we've got the WRs to play with anybody. Smith is the main man. Curry should be able to this yr. Bridges could've had several more receptions. Thomas was slow coming out, but should do it big time now.
Thought Hernandez went back to Ariz? Sam Williams, SPEED, may get a good look here.
Can someone get them the ball?

Great thread!

With this group, we have nothing but good to look for if someone can get the ball to them. I believe that improvement in our throw and catch chemistry is in the making. When it makes, look out because we will have a balanced, potent, and CONSISTENT offense.

I like the way you describe it mustard, throw and catch chemistry. You need a qb who the receivers have confidence will get the ball to them and the QB has to believe the receivers will get it. Last year I don't think either group felt good abou the other. The receivers would be open and get hung out to dry by bad throws, and then the QB would get the ball to the spot and the receiver wouldn't make the catch. It's chemistry and confidence almost as much as skills.

I GOTTA believe NC that coaches will make confidence and chemistry a TOP priority this year!

This is one of the many reasons I believe we'll see real, tangible improvement on the field this year...whether or not it's reflected in Wins and losses.

Techsamillion and JacketFanPCB. I LOVE IT! You two are ready to lock and load!

"Hide and Watch!!!" I love it. I'm going to use that phrase.

Have to agree that J Smith will be the main go to guy. Agree that Curry will have to make drastic improvement. Believe he will. I honestly felt his Fr year he was the best WR we had on the team that included J Smith and Kelly C. He's just had injuries. Had the ACL then another knee problem. Curry healthy is the man. There isn't a harder and more competative guy on the team in my book. He's a real gamer. I hoping he'll be back to his old form.

Really like Lavon Thomas a lot. Just like his fire on the field. He's got the size and strength you look for. He can do something with the ball in his hands. He learned last year to get positive yardage. Earned my respect a great deal in one game where he came back with the ball trying to make something big and didn't get the first down when he had it to start with. Coach Gailey had a "talking" with him. The very next series he was dragging guys for the first down. That showed me a lot.

Excited about the experienced Coach Geis coaching this bunch.

Thanks for the post and the informed comments , GTT.

Plenty of help to go around. Looks very promising. It's great that we have a new coach specializing in WRs with the kind of expereience that Coach Geis has coming in. This could be the start of something big. Tenuta with the DBs, Geis with the WRs, etc.

Fred and Nate should be reliable performers and the rest of this group is chockablock with talent.
Logan, Levon, Lekeldrick all have proven skills and are top notch athletes. Look for improvement.
McGuire may be the surprise of the bunch. I can't wait to see him make his first catch! And with a few others there in the pool getting the first rate training we should be strong.

Good info GTT! The biggest thing I noticed is that there is a nice mix of experience on this team. I'm very excited about this group of players and will be great to hav McGuire out on the field with his height.

Geis has some great talent to work with and I think the key will be getting these guys comfortable with whoever the QB is. They all seemed to be on a different page with the QB last year and thus they never got comfortable.

We've got plenty of speed and now we are getting some height which should lead to some real positive results. I would especially watch for the slant to be effective with McGuire and possibly even Bridges & Thomas.

Keep posting new positions. It is very interesting to review each of them.

good thread folks! i also think that we might see dennis davis in there as well. hmmmmmmm!
being from new jersey and having great speed
he just might be another charlie rogers!
grin.gif

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread; our wide receivers are a talented bunch. I'm really hoping that Curry returns to form because he did fairly well in 2000. Freddie is the main man without a doubt, but I think Bridges is going to be the one having a breakout year. He's got explosive speed on the field and he's someone who can bring in a bad throw.

While there was very little QB/WR chemistry last season, Bilbo to Bridges usually resulted in some big plays. I guess that's pretty obvious if you think about it -- Bilbo had the big arm and Bridges had the speed to run down the passes. If Bilbo wins the starting QB job this spring, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of that between the two.

Back