Lifting weights on the Sideline

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Ok, so I’ve done some coaching at the high school level in the last few years(lacrosse and cross country so it doesn’t translate as much), but isn’t lifting weights before a game a sure way to get lactic acid in your muscles and create slight tears which hinders movement and use?

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Obviously warms ups are a huge part of playing games. But I’ve never seen warm ups targeted directly at muscle groups like lifting would.
Running builds up lactic acid. Walk through warm ups

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
The lifting on the sidelines seems to be a mindset thing that S&C is trying to instill. Rather than weights being a chore, our team “gets to lift today” and gets charged up about it. Could be a bit of Pavlovian training.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
We get gummy bears in the second half

And I agree with it.

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
I’d like to see some side-straddle-hop out there, great warm up exercise. This could be incorporated with whatever the Juice Crew has going on -everybody in motion on the sidelines. Maybe play Olivia Newton John’s “Physical” video on the video board. :heelclick:

BuzzFeitenSystem

It’s Raining BigCrys
It’s just to stimulate the central nervous system probably. Nothing more

Anyone would see an effect before you go out there running as fast as you can and hit somebody full force you need to be primed

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Not talking about OP, but some fonts seem to think that players need to stand around doing nothing but watching the game if they are on the sidelines.

Bonus points for scowling if the team is behind.

I think anything that engages them as a team, or showing their commitment to be better, or just burning energy that builds up is a good thing.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
I haven’t really watched it but are guys ATL lifting or just guys who won’t see the field and have hours to burn?

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
I’d like to see some side-straddle-hop out there, great warm up exercise. This could be incorporated with whatever the Juice Crew has going on -everybody in motion on the sidelines. Maybe play Olivia Newton John’s “Physical” video on the video board. :heelclick:
"Side-straddle-hop"........ haven't heard that term in quite some time.

ciegetanks

Damn Good Rat
The weights they are lifting look like crossfit weights. The size is irrevelevant. All the ones I've seen on TV on our sidelines are green which is 15 lbs I think.